11 movies a martial artist must see.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I wrote my list of 11 without first looking at the article. I didn't want to be influenced. So, now that I"ve seen the list in the original post, I have some comments.

First, I think I'm a little more interested in the Samurai films than the kung fu films. But this guys seems to have gone the opposite. While I included several great examples of Chinese cinema, the author of the article seems to not even be aware that some of the best movies ever were Japanese.

Regarding some of the movies he listed, there were a few I think are odd.

First, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is terrible. I hate Ang Lee's movies. He's systematically going through every genre of movie I adore and turning them into chick flicks. I'm not a fan. CT,HD is the Broke Back Mountain of martial arts movies. Not only is this NOT on my list of top 11 MA movies, it's a front runner for being on my list of 11 worst.

Regarding the Matrix, it's strange to me that he either didn't know or didn't mention the strong anime influence. The Matrix is much more heavily influenced by Japanese cartoons than Chinese wire fu movies.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is terrible. I hate Ang Lee's movies. He's systematically going through every genre of movie I adore and turning them into chick flicks. I'm not a fan. CT,HD is the Broke Back Mountain of martial arts movies. Not only is this NOT on my list of top 11 MA movies, it's a front runner for being on my list of 11 worst.
Couldn't agree more!

I never saw Brokeback, so for me, CT/HD is the Ang Lee Hulk of martial arts movies.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I personally find Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers (add The Banquet, Warlords, Empress and the Warriors, Hero...etc) to be a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I wouldn't really call them martial arts movies.

Latest Discussions