"Steel Dawn" sword -- help me out?

So you have a good bit of experience forging shorter blades?
Well I’m going to straighten a leaf spring then cut the shape out then grind. If I had a power hammer I’d hammer it out. Forging is not something I do all the time just cause the time it takes doing by hand.

I’m going to make one out of carbon steel
I’ve heard that you can buy pure carbon billets. Perhaps you could forge a pure carbon sword? That’d be cool…a jet black blade!
C87EA17C-E0E5-4E51-8911-02923B0DFD8D.jpeg

Last edited:
Well I’m going to straighten a leaf spring then cut the shape out then grind. If I had a power hammer I’d hammer it out. Forging is not something I do all the time just cause the time it takes doing by hand.
If a sword is going to be functional, I think it really needs to be forged. Stock removal methods are fine, for shorter blades, but not for swords. How do you plan on heat treating the blade without it warping?

If a sword is going to be functional, I think it really needs to be forged. Stock removal methods are fine, for shorter blades, but not for swords. How do you plan on heat treating the blade without it warping?
Not true. Albion armorers don’t forge all of their swords and I’ve beaten the hell out of them. It’s all in the heat treatment and tempering. My first attempt at sword has just enough flexibility to not damage at all. If I tempered it one more time it would be full spring.

After the heat treat you clamp it between two pieces of wood. That prevents warping. I almost never have warping with 5160. It happens sometimes but very rarely.

Latest Discussions

Back