Broadsword

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just doing a little bit of research here.

What, to you, is a "Broadsword?"

In your experience, what is a "Broadsword" John Q. Public.

I've got my own answers but I want to know if it's changed since last I gave serious thought or if I'm off base about what others think the term means.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

To the average person -- I think "broadsword" conjures images of a European knight's sword or a Conan the Barbarian sort of sword.

Personally, I tend to think of the European swords featuring straight blades, usually double edged, relatively broad compared to sabers. Heavy, but not so heavy as to require two hands.

To me, a "broadsword" is a basket-hilted sword used in and around the 1700's.

To John Q. Public, a "broadsword' is an arming sword. I think this is due to the misuse of the term in Sword & Sorcery fiction, and later rpgs influenced by the genre. They of course, also assume that such is a sword is much heavier than they actually were... arming swords tend to weigh in around 2.5 lbs.

Best regards,

-Mark

Yup. That's what I've concluded, roughly.

Historically, a European "Broadsword" is any of the 17th-19th C. single-handed, basket-hilted swords, both curved and straight. Military Sabers, Backswords, etc.

And, yeah, my experience is that John Q. thinks of what WMA folks call a "Longsword" when he hears the term "Broadsword." I blame D&D and Conan fantasy. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions

Back