Your Rights Online: Little Red Book Draws Government Attention

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This creeps me out. Kid requests book, gets investigated.

Posted by Zonk on Saturday December 17, @04:44PM
from the they-have-nothing-better-to-do? dept.
narcolepticjim writes
"An unnamed Dartmouth student was visited by Homeland Security for requesting a copy of Mao Zedong's Little Red Book for a class project."
From the article: "The student, who was completing a research paper on Communism for Professor Pontbriand's class on fascism and totalitarianism, filled out a form for the request, leaving his name, address, phone number and Social Security number. He was later visited at his parents' home in New Bedford by two agents of the Department of Homeland Security, the professors said."

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
This creeps me out. Kid requests book, gets investigated.

Posted by Zonk on Saturday December 17, @04:44PM
from the they-have-nothing-better-to-do? dept.
narcolepticjim writes
"An unnamed Dartmouth student was visited by Homeland Security for requesting a copy of Mao Zedong's Little Red Book for a class project." From the article: "The student, who was completing a research paper on Communism for Professor Pontbriand's class on fascism and totalitarianism, filled out a form for the request, leaving his name, address, phone number and Social Security number. He was later visited at his parents' home in New Bedford by two agents of the Department of Homeland Security, the professors said."

Do we know if this is true, or is this one of those 'anecdotal stories' some people like to tell for dramatic effect? The 'unnamed' part concerns me. This could be an FoF kind of thing.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
and who says the provisions of Patriot Act aren't being abused.......

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Do we know if this is true, or is this one of those 'anecdotal stories' some people like to tell for dramatic effect? The 'unnamed' part concerns me. This could be an FoF kind of thing.
The professors are named, and this appears to be a mainstream publication, not a fringe one.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:

And can you really blame the kid for not wanting him name in this....Once I had real issues with the TSA and way they searched on of my bags, but my folks didn't want me to complain figuring I wouold end up on a list somewhere for causing trouble....

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:

PM me if your interested and I'll tell you about my own little run in with the feds...

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the only version of the story I can see on google.

I would think this would be all over the news if it was true.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
And can you really blame the kid for not wanting him name in this....Once I had real issues with the TSA and way they searched on of my bags, but my folks didn't want me to complain figuring I wouold end up on a list somewhere for causing trouble....
Well, since the Fed's already allegedly showed up at his door, what's he worried about? Publicity is the BEST defense....unless it's a lie, of course. Then it works best as a rumor. I remember when the Clinton's didn't like you, they sent the ATF to your door, armed with automatic weapons. Then they burnt the place to the ground, including the children. Then they told everyone they were 'doing it for the children'.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whats it cost to file a FOI inquiry?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Whats it cost to file a FOI inquiry?
It would be far easier if the kid would just come forward. This 'anonymous' stuff is getting old. What, we can call the president a war criminal on television, but we can't come forward and tell everyone the department of homeland security showed up at our house? I don't buy it. A little TOO contrived.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now what have we all learned from this little episode?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A: Check your sources
B: Get at least 2 seperate leads
C: That MartialTalk members, despite differences in thought, can work together and find the truth, thereby debunking the more "interesting" articles.

:)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
A: Check your sources
B: Get at least 2 seperate leads
C: That MartialTalk members, despite differences in thought, can work together and find the truth, thereby debunking the more "interesting" articles.

:)
And Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays by the way.
icon12.gif

Latest Discussions