Your opinion on best boxers ever? Top 5

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just read a short blurb on ESPN about The Top 50 Boxers. The link only discussed the 50-41 boxers, but I'm sure more are to come. I'll try to post them here as they come.

Now, who do you think deserves the top 5? Any weight class, best pound for pound fighters in history.

Here is my list
1. Muhammed Ali - the guy revolutionized the sport, and was fantastic in his prime
2. Fexix "Tito" Trinidad - never seen a small guy hit harder
3. Mike Tyson - at his peak, I'd pit him against any other fighter
4. Rocky Marciano - only undefeated heavyweight, though I wish he fought some more big names
5. "The Prince" Naseem Hamed - the guy was so enjoyable to watch fight! so unconventional. Get knocked down alot, but almost always knocked down his opponent more!

The list is not necessarily the best records, I'm sure others have had better, but the most entertaining and best in their prime. The guys I'd pay to see in their prime :) I've paid to see a few of these guys fight...

Whats your list?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't include Mike Tyson. What he had going for him, in my opinion, was POWER. And, early in his career, under Cus D'amato, disciplined training. Even very early on, I think a GOOD counterpuncher who didn't try to prove that he could take Tyson's punches would have frustrated him and beaten him.

I do think that Ali was the greatest we've seen yet; he brought an incredible talent and ability to the ring. He was one of the very few "mouths" that could really back it up! I love watching films of his fights; I'm still astounded by the way that he could backpedal, and still knock someone out!

I think Ray Leonard deserves at least consideration; he was talented, and classy. He really brought professionalism to being a boxer, I think.

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't include Mike Tyson. What he had going for him, in my opinion, was POWER. And, early in his career, under Cus D'amato, disciplined training. Even very early on, I think a GOOD counterpuncher who didn't try to prove that he could take Tyson's punches would have frustrated him and beaten him.

I do think that Ali was the greatest we've seen yet; he brought an incredible talent and ability to the ring. He was one of the very few "mouths" that could really back it up! I love watching films of his fights; I'm still astounded by the way that he could backpedal, and still knock someone out!

I think Ray Leonard deserves at least consideration; he was talented, and classy. He really brought professionalism to being a boxer, I think.

You HAVE to put Tyson in there..How the heck can you NOT. He absolutely CRUSHED his opponents like no other boxer I can remember. It would be news if somebady last more than 6 rounds..Don't kid youself. There NO one who could have beaten Mike Tyson in his day. Crushing Power, youth and speed (he was pretty quick) are a tough combination to overcome.
No way man..He is in.
He would have been an all time great if he did not destroy himself. What a train wreck.

Agree on Ali, Agree on consideration for Leonard, and Marvin Hagler for that matter. (definate top 10s)

This thread is going to turn into the barber shop scene from "Coming to America" LOL

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sugar Ray Robinson generally takes #1 on these lists, and pound for pound was probably the best.

Tyson had more then power, but he certainely had that. Watch his early fights, back when he was climbing to the top and putting everyone out in round one, he could move. His post jail fights where a different story, but before that he was worthy of consideration.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is this only modern last century can it be anyone in the world?
because mine go beyond this century and America :)
I'll will post my top 5 but given since you started the thread I will wait for clarfication.

speaking about the boxers already mention I think Tyson is an animal guess that can be taken any which way. I think Rocky(not the movie) was a great boxer and would be in my top 10. I don't know if I would put Ali in my top 5 my top 10 yes I would pick the Brown bomber Joe Louis who has a great fight record. There are so many but I will admit Ali was great at show boating.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sugar Ray Robinson generally takes #1 on these lists, and pound for pound was probably the best.quote]

I have to agree with you on this, he was sweet to watch. But I'm also liking Leonard and Hagler. Among the heavies I like Ali, Louis, and Marciano. Tyson early fights were devastating but I have always prefers boxers to fighters.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with much of what has been already posted.
Ali was a big man that moved like a smaller man and was just amazing, and we probably never even saw the best of him. He was just starting to peak when he had his 3 year layoff. Watch his fight against Cleveland Williams. He threw a flurry of 7 punches that you could barely see. He would start to throw a punch while still out of range, float in and hit him, and float out again before his opponent could react.

I think in his day Jack Johnson was a pretty scary guy. I don't know if he is top 5 or not but I thought him worth mentioning.

Really its difficult to compare people from different eras.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow so many so I will go with a few that I watched alot!

Muhammed Ali
Joe Frazier
Sugar Ray Leonard
Marvelous Marvin Hagler
Thomas the Hit Man Hearns

There really are to many to list.

Mike Tyson was also fun to watch early on....
So was Prince Nazeem, not to mention
Chavez, Paco, etc...

If I had to pick two it would be :
Muhammed Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
  1. "Sugar" Ray Robinson
  2. Rocky Marciano
  3. Muhammed Ali
  4. Joe Louis
  5. Figg? Molineux? Mendoza? Corbett?

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1. Ali
2. Sugar Ray Robinson
3. Duran (in his prime)
4. Marciano
5. Joe Frazier/Joe Lewis (tie)

Boxers are underrated by karate guys and other martial artists. Few martial artists, if any, hit as hard or as fast as professional boxers. Plus, they have tremendous endurance.
Ali had it all. Had the government not screwed him, he would have achieved even more.

There is a great story about Ali when he was flying with a Sports Illustrated reporter. The plane was about to take off, and the announcement came to fasten seat belts. A pretty stewardess came by and noticed Ali did not have his seat belt buckled. She asked him to please buckle his belt. Ali flirted with her and said, "Baby, Superman don't need no seat belt." The stewardess replied, "Baby, Superman don't need no airplane. Now, buckle that seatbelt.":ultracool

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this only modern last century can it be anyone in the world?
because mine go beyond this century and America :)
I'll will post my top 5 but given since you started the thread I will wait for clarfication.

Older boxers are fine... might provide some interesting reading :) One reason I've kept mine fairly recent is due to the film I've seen and the fights I've got to watch in real time. Hard for me to judge how great a fighter was just by statistics...

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fair enough.
I would pick:
Sean O'grady
Joe Louis
Jack Dempsey
Rocky Maricano
Joe Fraizer

I left out the old school guys such as James Cobett and left out others who had great stats to keep it simply as fight reels and fights I have seen.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score

I completely disagree. As I mentioned in another thread, he's not just a powerhouse. Tyson spent a lot of time studying the mechanics of boxing, what works and what doesn't.
I once saw a boxing match (can't remember who the players were) where the one hit the other so hard that the recipiant of the punch went into a violent full body muscle spasm. That's a whole lot of power in one punch! But is that boxer a household name like Tyson? Nope.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I completely disagree. As I mentioned in another thread, he's not just a powerhouse. Tyson spent a lot of time studying the mechanics of boxing, what works and what doesn't.
I once saw a boxing match (can't remember who the players were) where the one hit the other so hard that the recipiant of the punch went into a violent full body muscle spasm. That's a whole lot of power in one punch! But is that boxer a household name like Tyson? Nope.
The guy should at least be in the top ten, IMHO

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tyson was fun to watch, but did he ever fight anyone of talent?

I liked Boom Boom Mancini,
How about Roy Jones Jr?