Your Most Feared Opponent

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
If you had to pick 1 MA style you would most fear facing, what would it be and why (please limit responses to MA styles). I hope this stays quick and fun, not meant to be an exegesis on the meaning of opponents or style or anything long-winded; just would like to hear what others might pick...

*I pick BJJ--because I hate being held down, and if those guys get you in a grappling situation, it's very difficult to escape without being choked out or submitted.*

(This could be an interesting thread. In chess training, GMs suggest that you should find the opening you have the most trouble against, then learn it yourself. I thought this could apply to MA as well.)

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Capoeira or Ninjitsu, they both require a rather good body agility. Moreover finding myself head down is not something I really like...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any of the ground game something about someone on top of me choaking me out would not be fun.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
not to sound like a broken record, but i don't fear any particular art.

what i do fear is an opponent (not even necessarily a trained opponent) who is absolutely dedicated to ending me, to the point that he'll accept serious injury or even death to get it done.

that dude is far scarier than your most brutal mma bruiser or subtle ninjutsu practitioner.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some were between Cuong Nhu (yes my style), Shaolin (like the temple), and Chen village Tai Chi.
For Cuong Nhu: alot of the stuff I use that nobody expects is stuff taught in Cuong Nhu. What tends to really work is the stuff we do, but not to much.
For Shaolin: after seeing they're training regiment, I'm scared.
For Chen Tai Chi: most of the scary stories about Tai Chi masters (that I've heard) are from Chen.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
We kick at odd angles, trap the hands, use sweeps and leg catches (at our own schools only) and step back at angles. Instead of stepping straight back. We also have a habit of going forward while defending (who expects it?). answer questions?

OP
flashlock

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
We kick at odd angles, trap the hands, use sweeps and leg catches (at our own schools only) and step back at angles. Instead of stepping straight back. We also have a habit of going forward while defending (who expects it?). answer questions?

Thanks--though to me, that sounds pretty standard.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer my [SIZE=-1]Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator! NO ONE ever suspects that! :roflmao:
[/SIZE]

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeet Kun Do.....Mainly because I'm afraid that if I don't say that, Bruce Lee will come back from the dead and kick my ***. :)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just figured that if Chuck Norris wanted me dead....he'd do it before I even began to think of thinking about saying something against him. I've heard he can teleport a roundhouse kick....

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am all about a good ground game so I say bring on the bjj and judo aggressors.....I did win the Pan Am games in judo so that is all good. What I fear would be someone who outranks me in hapkido.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am all about a good ground game so I say bring on the bjj and judo aggressors.....I did win the Pan Am games in judo so that is all good. What I fear would be someone who outranks me in hapkido.

I'm the same way. What I fear the most is someone better in Silat than I am.

Latest Discussions