Your Favorite Form?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you like forms?
What do u like and not like about them or a particular one?
Which form is your favorite and how long did it take to get it down pat?
Which form would you love to learn but havent yet had the opportunity?

Have you seen a form in a movie that you wanted to learn?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like forms. I spend much of my time practicing by myself, so forms play a big role in my practice.

Favorite is a tough one to name. All in all, I guess I'd have to say it would be Chut Yap Bo Kuen, The In and Out (or Back and Forth) Fist, from Tibetan White Crane (my spelling might be a bit off, but ya get the picture).

What do I like about it? It is very fluid and contains much of the real "meat" of the system. My sifu says that his uncle would say that it all comes back to this form. The whole system is in there. I love the long-arm fluidity of the set, which is really characteristic of the system. It is done very fast, like you are running sprints, and it is very long: the fastest I have ever done it timed, was 1 minute, 45 seconds, done at full speed, and is exhausting, like sprinting a half mile. Sifu always says that I need to be faster. I kind of like the fact that it is tough for most people to even get thru it, due to the length.

It took several months to learn each half of the set, and I am still working to perfect it after about 6-7 years.

I have also recently learned Fu-Hok (Tiger-Crane) from Hung Gar, and I like that one a lot as well. It also took several months to learn from start to finish. This one needs A LOT more work, since it is so new to me, but I really like the tiger techniques. I'd probably have to put this one in second place, for favorites.

I know that Tibetan White Crane has some drunken material, and I would love to learn that while I am still young enough to be able to do it. Not sure if that will ever happen, tho.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I like forms. I spend much of my time practicing by myself, so forms play a big role in my practice.

Favorite is a tough one to name. All in all, I guess I'd have to say it would be Chut Yap Bo Kuen, The In and Out (or Back and Forth) Fist, from Tibetan White Crane (my spelling might be a bit off, but ya get the picture).

What do I like about it? It is very fluid and contains much of the real "meat" of the system. My sifu says that his uncle would say that it all comes back to this form. The whole system is in there. I love the long-arm fluidity of the set, which is really characteristic of the system. It is done very fast, like you are running sprints, and it is very long: the fastest I have ever done it timed, was 1 minute, 45 seconds, done at full speed, and is exhausting, like sprinting a half mile. Sifu always says that I need to be faster. I kind of like the fact that it is tough for most people to even get thru it, due to the length.

It took several months to learn each half of the set, and I am still working to perfect it after about 6-7 years.

I have also recently learned Fu-Hok (Tiger-Crane) from Hung Gar, and I like that one a lot as well. It also took several months to learn from start to finish. This one needs A LOT more work, since it is so new to me, but I really like the tiger techniques. I'd probably have to put this one in second place, for favorites.

I know that Tibetan White Crane has some drunken material, and I would love to learn that while I am still young enough to be able to do it. Not sure if that will ever happen, tho.

Wow! Is Kung Fu the only art that has really long forms?
My Sifu says I have maybe one more month before I learn my first long fist and I thought that was long. Compared to what you just said i know im wrong. :)

I would like to see a video of it one day.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i like forms
i like the scenarios of the forms. For example when i learned the horse blade form it goes like 'you chop the head of the horse, then the legs, then attack the enemy, then he survives and hits you, you block him and stab him...' and so forth

I like weapon forms the most.
6 harmony staff is my favorite, 7 star double cane is my second favorite, zhanmadao form, and 7 star double daggers form. My favorite, the 6 harmony staff, took me a couple of hours of the night i was introduced to it, then the entire day afterwards. But i keep practicing that over and over.

There are forms i learn in class. they take about 3 weeks to remember the steps/transitions, 4 weeks to flow through it and make it look nice and use perfect stances. and there are forms that i learn in seminars, and these i go over them the night i learn them, then i practice them the next day to remember them.. afterwards i keep running through them with my KF bro's sis's behinds the school after class.

I have no learned any mantis-specific empty hand forms yet, but i am hoping to like those too.

I have seen drunken forms in movies, random videos, and demonstrations as well. I am looking forward to learning the 7 star mantis one

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Form from the china line I enjoy the Hoquan or ho chun monkey.There are many translations of how is was done.The theatrical that is commonly seen is rolling on the ground.Standing much like the tang lang or mantis set - the monkey will take its victom to the ground.The kuntao line is my favorite as a small guy or person using (sikaron) in philoppino terms or panajocman depending on dialect-The kicks behind the knee to fold the knee to the ground make the longh kahs & jurus a leverage adavantage point.Boklean is the monkey in Thai or Hannuman the King.Thai kicks & knee shot are good but that works for tall & strong.The smaller will easly be dominated.Size-weight- has a lot to do with the question & that will be the out come of the art they studied & took favor too_Oh for those who may know other chinese dialects I was ofter called MiLo Jai by JunFan.Yes Bruce Lee the dragon of Layso -ong called me Milo -jai.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Wow! Is Kung Fu the only art that has really long forms?
My Sifu says I have maybe one more month before I learn my first long fist and I thought that was long. Compared to what you just said i know im wrong. :)

I would like to see a video of it one day.

From what I have seen, in general the kung fu forms are more likely to be longer and more exhausting then forms from other arts. This, of course, is not true across the board and for every form in every system, but in general, yes. Most of the forms I have learned from my sifu are at least a minute, to a minute and a half, done at full speed. In comparison, the forms I learned in kenpo are probably more like 20 seconds to a minute.

My sifu really stresses fluidity when he teaches forms. This is partly due to the fact that I believe it is important for the style in particular, but also he feels a form can mimic actual combat by being as fluid and natural as possible instead of being choppy and stiff and unnatural and mechanical. I have seen people do forms in a very staccato way, and the movement looks jerky and unuseable. But when the same form is done in a fluid and natural way, then you can see how the movement could actually be useful. This fluidity only comes from practicing it over and over, and getting past the point where you have to think about each successive movement. Your body simply "remembers" it, and you do it without thinking about it.

When I stop to think about a form, sometimes I can't remember what move comes next. But when I just let my body do it, it happens automatically, but at the same time I am visualizing in my head what the movement means and how it is applied. I can actually see my opponent in front of me, in my mind, while I apply the technique against his attack. In this way you maintain a connection between the body and the mind, letting the body do the movement as naturally as possible, while mentally connecting the meaning of what the movement is. If you don't do this, then you are getting little out of your forms training.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Do you like forms?

yes

AceHBK said:

They're the encyclopedia of your style. How can you not like them?

AceHBK said:

I still don't have it down pat & won't for a while. It's long & repetative, but it's fun & I enjoy it.

AceHBK said:

I dunno... something else new really.

AceHBK said:

No... movie fu does little to tweak my interest.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah I like forms. I spend way more time fighting than doing forms, but I wish I had more time to do forms. I believe it was Sifu Lee (Lee Kam Wing) that said forms are where you actually get to do your technqiues. In fighting you can't break your kung fu brothers arm, but in forms you can go all the way through every technique.

I think my favorite would prbably be Mui Far Kuen - Plum Blossom Fist or Tong Long Chut Dung - Mantis Exits the Cave. I think #6 (tong long chut dung) was the longest form I knew up until I learned a Wah Lum formed named 36 hands.

As far as wanting to learn, it seems every new form I learn is my favorite for a while so I'm just looking forward to learning more. Most movie fu doesn't really inspire me either.

7sm

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, as a Wing Chun practitioner, we only have three and I have only learnt two of them!
:)
I suppose my fav is Chum Kui (Bridge Seeking) because it is the level I am at and so highly relevant, but also it has added some motion to the principles I now feel comfortable with!

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you like forms?
Yuppers!

I love the way they look. A battle with an invisible enemy is what they should look like and what I strive for. My "fighting spirit".

I know a little more than a handful of forms and although I know them well, I wouldn't go as far as to say I have them down 'pat'. I am still learning things about some of the first forms I learned. That's what I love about kung fu. You are never done learning about any one thing.

But to answer the question it is a tie between siu fok fu (small subduing tiger) and sup gee kuen (10-character fist).

Ooo... Lohan, or siu ying jow kuen (small eagle claw). I see my si jei's and si hing's do it and I am in awe of the power behind the movements.

Nah. I'll go with the majority on this one and say movie fu don't do it for me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Do you like forms?
Usually

AceHBK said:
I do Tai Chi, so I tend to like the focus that I can get from doing a form.

What I do not like, on occasion, is the repetition of certain aspects of certain forms. Which may be one of the factors why after many years of Traditional Yang style I am starting Cheng Manching Tai Chi.

AceHBK said:

My favorite form I honestly do not know the real name of. It was given the label Shandong Province old style Chen. But I cannot find it practiced anywhere and the teacher that taught it to me refuses to teach it anymore, it is to strenuous.

AceHBK said:
Which form would you love to learn but haven’t yet had the opportunity?

Possibly Zhaobao Tai Chi - Nine sounds without touching the ground

AceHBK said:

Actually the only other place I have seen anything that looks like the alleged Shandong province old style Chen was recently in a very old Jet Li Movie, I believe it was twin dragons or twin tigers or twin something. And it was not the whole form.

But generally I have no interest in movie forms.

Su Lin

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this topic after a while, but Im new here and just searching around. Are there any videos of choy li fut plum flower fist ?
I'm learning Far Kuen - or Flower Fist in lau gar, which is fast becoming my favourite form so far (ok so I have only done the first 3 so far, but that has taken ages!) and I'm intrigued by the choy li fut form, just to see if there are any similarities at all?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Su Lin said:
Sorry to resurrect this topic after a while, but Im new here and just searching around. Are there any videos of choy li fut plum flower fist ?
I'm learning Far Kuen - or Flower Fist in lau gar, which is fast becoming my favourite form so far (ok so I have only done the first 3 so far, but that has taken ages!) and I'm intrigued by the choy li fut form, just to see if there are any similarities at all?

Glad you brought this back up to the top. I couldn't find any choy li fut plum flower fist videos. I did find a DVD for sale on it though. Perhaps clfsean knows of something else. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Glad you brought this back up to the top. I couldn't find any choy li fut plum flower fist videos. I did find a DVD for sale on it though. Perhaps clfsean knows of something else. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
we need MT to open a place where we can post small videos. Or maybe you could tape it and put it up at youtube

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Su Lin said:

Just go to Google video & google Choy Li/Lay/Lee Fut & you'll find plenty of them out there. Some good, some not so good... caveat emptor... ;)

Syn

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you like forms?
Yeah.

It teaches you what your form is all about, and gives you the basis for all the moves and style of the form.

Sup Ying Kuen-Ten Pattern Fist. I forget how long maybe a month or two.

I wouldn't mind Bung Bo, or learning Mantis vs. Ciccada (sp?)

Umm the only forms I see in movies that are preformed are the ones in OUATIC.