Your Art?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is your Art like not the schools or the instructor of you but for yourself?
What makes your Art you?

Terry

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kuntao Penjak Silat

Quick to the point and highly effective...All of which I consider reflect my attitude :D Every move has a dual purpose, unarmed/armed. Each move also allows for a lot of mess ups. Skill = rank not a belt. Also everyone that does this art understands its not a sport art and therefore limits the amount of jackasses that plagued me in TKD.

Silat = Love..Love that damn art sooo much

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, As far back as I can remember, a old timer mention that martial arts is not about fighting? ....but to build good character and not fight.

Today I still believe in this view! The martial arts teaches you the skills to defend oneself, build confidence,self-assurance. Makes you strong inside and outside. As a person...you learn to be humble, of kindness, helping others achieve these same goals.

People need to be strong (your martial arts), to protect themselves, family and those who need our help. Our world has many bad people out there.

In our Kempo, we train to fight more inside,upclose, muliple strikes,takedowns and if need to "destroy". Fast and furious!

Awareness and not to fight....this is the art we like to teach! ...this is my art! .........Aloha

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
What is your Art like not the schools or the instructor of you but for yourself?
What makes your Art you?

Terry

Right now, primarily Western Boxing practice, without contact (due to current health concerns). What makes it mine is that there is always something that I am doing wrong or not as well as I could that I can work to improve on. It is mine because of the challenge and striving for perfection. Also, I'm short and stocky and quick hand techniques are my best chance since I have minimal grappling training. By the end of this year I would like to have my technique so polished that I could walk into even a good boxing gym and pick-out the flaws in much better fighters than myselves - sorta like good coaches can do. I wish my college boxing coach were still alive because I'd love to show him what I've learned and get some good pointers.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Right now, primarily Western Boxing practice, without contact (due to current health concerns). What makes it mine is that there is always something that I am doing wrong or not as well as I could that I can work to improve on. It is mine because of the challenge and striving for perfection. Also, I'm short and stocky and quick hand techniques are my best chance since I have minimal grappling training. By the end of this year I would like to have my technique so polished that I could walk into even a good boxing gym and pick-out the flaws in much better fighters than myselves - sorta like good coaches can do. I wish my college boxing coach were still alive because I'd love to show him what I've learned and get some good pointers.

I'm sure he'd be very proud of the man you've become. In & out of the ring.:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It has given me a confidence to be myslef most of the time.

I also have been told that I walk with an "air" about me when in strange areas that makes people not want to "mess" with me. This I can not varrify because i do not notice any difference and I never try to put on "airs" when walking because most people who do so can be seen through by others

I also must say that i am a different person and may be easier to upset when I do not practice

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
I got into Armizare/Medieval Sword because it wasn't a normal martial art. It intrigued me that this art is being resurrected, and thus even my instructors have to occasionally step back and humbly reevaluate not only how they teach, but what they teach.

That process of discovery also lead me to the FMA, as taught by my JKD instructors. The process of breaking down an exercise, drill, technique, etc. fired my curiosity, and my observations led me back to the Medieval sword. The similarities are truly fascinating, and make me want to learn more.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
my art is evolution. kenpo, cane, taiji, iaido, whatever i'm doing is all about being a better human being today than i was yesterday. consistant challenge, constant growth.

everything else is secondary.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
What makes it me is flexibility? Not physical, but the technique base and the ability to incorperate "new" techniques into the system without undue scrutiny.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo (all breeds), Kempo, Modern Arnis, Various others.

Started out for the fitness aspect, but then fell in love with the "thought process" that goes along with learning material.

I enjoy Kenpo for the scientific aspects. I like tailoring things to fit my body size. Modern Arnis seemed like a perfect compliment to Kenpo.

As for the various styles, I like to see what other martial artist do in the same situation.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What makes the art me is that it is entwined into every aspect of my life.
The physcial fitness benefits I have gained, taking the lessons that I have learned from karate and using them in other areas of my life, the joy i get from teaching, the friends that i have made through Karate, and now with pride watching my daughter learning karate, have reached into everything that i do.
Martial arts is not everything, but it is part of me that has effected everything that i do and who i am.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think what makes my art mine, is the thought process that happens. The art "fits" the way I think and also the way I naturally move. It is just pure dumb luck I found the art and instructors that fit's so well. I had been looking and had almost given up the search when my brother said he had found a MA that actually worked for him and that I should come and try it. Well, here I am back in serious training and he is now my instructor (I left to start a family). So the art is "mine" because of the philosophy as well as the movement.

Latest Discussions