Your $101M Acquisition

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I noticed last night that our Euro Lottery jackpot prize has gone over 100 million and which I think is obscene for one person to win. Anyway, here is a somewhat banal and but still interesting hypothetical I was pondering...

Say you win (or otherwise acquire) $101M. That $101M is subject to the condition that you can keep only $1M yourself. One way or the other you must oversee the use of the remaining $100M and but it cannot be used to acquire anything further for yourself.

What will you choose to do with this $100M?

Thank you.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Campaign to get the strupid weapon laws in this country revised along common-sense lines ... and build some 'classic' architecture JSA dojo's :D.

Also, lovely to see you back posting, Jenna. I've been worried about you.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Campaign to get the strupid weapon laws in this country revised along common-sense lines ... and build some 'classic' architecture JSA dojo's :D.

Also, lovely to see you back posting, Jenna. I've been worried about you.
Hello dear friend. It is good to see you here still knocking about the old forum.

So you would use all that money to modernise our weapon laws? That is interesting. Can I ask how would that benefit you?

Ah but I can see the dojos set in a sanctuary of cherry blossoms? I can hear the sound of the koto. And the slicing of ripe fruit ha.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi, Jenna-good to have you back!

I'd use it to fund a prototype for Accelerator Transmutation of Waste.
And once tested working, would this be a profitable piece of technology? I think there is nothing in the 'rule' about generating profit above your $100M. Of course that begs the question what would you then do with your profits, which I think should not be inconsiderable and come from many nuclear capable quarters.

As clever as ever my friend. It is good to hear from you also.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
And once tested working, would this be a profitable piece of technology? I think there is nothing in the 'rule' about generating profit above your $100M. Of course that begs the question what would you then do with your profits, which I think should not be inconsiderable and come from many nuclear capable quarters.

As clever as ever my friend. It is good to hear from you also.

Nah-wasn't thinking about profits gaines, though they are potentially.....considerable.

I was thinking more of the nuclear waste disposal problem, and how I have always thought that this was an elegant potential solution. WHen I worked at LANSCE I was really hopeful that funding would come through for this as a project-there was talk of it, but it never happened.

I'd just really like to see it happen. :)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I noticed last night that our Euro Lottery jackpot prize has gone over 100 million and which I think is obscene for one person to win. Anyway, here is a somewhat banal and but still interesting hypothetical I was pondering...

Say you win (or otherwise acquire) $101M. That $101M is subject to the condition that you can keep only $1M yourself. One way or the other you must oversee the use of the remaining $100M and but it cannot be used to acquire anything further for yourself.

What will you choose to do with this $100M?

Thank you.

This is where we differ. I don't see why it is at all obscene for a person, to win or earn that kind of money. But we all know how the Lottery winners work, they can win infinity and still be broke in 2 years. People who didn't start the day with money (or financial knowledge) loose it just as quickly because they don't know how to manage it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is where we differ. I don't see why it is at all obscene for a person, to win or earn that kind of money. But we all know how the Lottery winners work, they can win infinity and still be broke in 2 years. People who didn't start the day with money (or financial knowledge) loose it just as quickly because they don't know how to manage it.
True that... it lifts people out of an old "comfort-zone" and into a new one that they're wholly unfamiliar with. This is why a lot of millionaires stay millionaires because they don't spend... beyond what is necessary.
Middle class and the poor who have a sudden windfall are all excited about getting the things that they've always wanted (ahem, excuse me NEEDED :rolleyes: ) and thus as Omar said... end up broke as they ever was within two years.
Oh they may have a nice house now and new cars and new practically everything... but when the money is gone, the taxes on the house in that nice neighborhood that they've admired from afar is going to force them to sell the house (eventually) and the cars (which would go first) and almost everything else... and they're right back where they started from with the exception of a few nice things that are *ahem* difficult to sell, like that oversized black crushed velvet Elvis painting they bought for their wall.
Some have lost their new-found fortunes to unscrupulous accountants ("trust me, I'm a professional" ) hired to help them "manage their money". Fraudulent investment brokers likewise can take it all or most of it away.
Many also dole out X-amounts to family and friends and charities that they've always wanted but couldn't give to. $10,000.00 don't seem like much to one who has 1000 times that amount but it adds up. Oh boy does it ever add up and that right quick, sad to say.
Still a few do manage to be wise enough to squirrel away enough to carry them through the next 10-15 years and longer if they husband the money. A person is laid out flat on their back spread eagle and their throat exposed when they win an "obscene amount" ... it's the smart ones (sheep-dogs and wolves) who know to turn over on to their feet and zealously guard what they have. It may piss a lot of people off... "oh now you're rich, you won't share!?!?!"

Actually Jenna, one million is probably enough to get a lot of bills paid, the house/car(s) paid off and a nice home entertainment center and a great vacation with a little left over to last the rest of the year. Basically a million bucks doesn't get as far as it used to. So how about up-ing the ante to say about $5 million?

But in answering the question. I've often pondered this (especially as a lottery player)...
Donate 1 million each to the following, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, St. Jude's Hospital, NRA, 100 ($100 K) Scholarships to Gallaudet University (my alma mater -- and it's a University for the Deaf, and it's for students who have the grades out of H.S. but not the money), American Red Cross, 100 ($100 K) donations to various homeless organizations across the country, but not to churches who help the homeless because when I see those big fancy beautiful church buildings taking up a whole or 1/2 city block (including parking), I think about how much money it's all worth and how many mouths it could've fed instead. Make-A-Wish foundation (heavily supervised, heard about it but know it's still a legit organization just have to watch them to make sure $$ spent is ON the child not the organization itself). Hmm... up to 25 million so far... Oh definitely $100K to MT (because I love you guys).

I also have this idea of setting aside 10 Million in cash broken up into bundles of $5,000 to $10,000 and carry a few around with me at a time as I travel. Hundreds of times I meet people who have "a story"... strangers just like me. Some just barely living on the knife's edge of poverty and just need that one break to get going again. Example: Two weeks ago I drove past a man on a freeway off ramp holding a card-board sign... saying "Lost job, mortgage payment due, family hungry. Please Help!" Part of me wanted to pull over and talk with the guy to simply hear his story to find out how it began that he ended up on a street corner holding a sign. Depending upon his circumstances then I'd give him a packet of either the $5K or $10K and then disappear without even giving him my name.
Other times I meet people who have jobs but are struggling mightly to simply catch up with everything... they're making their payments and all that but too much month at the end of the paycheck syndrome... which A LOT of people are dealing with. They would also get one or the other packet. Basically providing what was asked for when someone cries out "gimme a break!"
What they DO with that money is entirely up to them. But chances are they'll do what they need to do. I'll be that optimistic about people instead of cynical.

There are at least a dozen or so other smaller (non-profit) organizations that could use a 100K or so. They just don't have the funds (or the need) that allow them to nationally advertise but they're worthy... at least IMO.

As far as what's left... I thought about doing a mini-make-over for an entire neighborhood block of homes that are just hovering over the poverty line. You know the ones, where everyone does have a job (of sorts) and isn't on welfare but are living in homes that are at least 35-40 years old and are in need of some repair or another, i.e. new roof, siding, paint, doors, windows, and often times landscaping. Things that the owners of the homes neither have time or money for. At least people can feel good about the area where they're living.

Beyond that... I dunno :idunno: wanna change the world... do it locally and let the rest take care of itself.
Bill Gates and others are donating millions to impoverished countries overseas... why should I throw in my two bits when it's those impoverished right here at home that could use some non-government help.

Look around your area/city/town/village/ where you live... how could you help?

Last edited:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So you would use all that money to modernise our weapon laws? That is interesting. Can I ask how would that benefit you?

In direct terms of benefit to me, it would be somewhat less fraught when it comes to either transporting my swords or buying new ones. In the more important indirect terms, the legislation that has been enacted when it comes to swords is a stranglehold on the 'supply' of future practitioners of the JSA in Britain. Every swordsman I know started out with those god-awful cheap 'imitations' that are now outlawed. Without that impetous, very few of us would have progressed on to searching out legitimate instruction and gone on to purchase the 'real thing' to practise with.

The same applies to guns too. I know Tez does not wholeheartedly agree on this but, with the greatest of respect to her, she is in a somewhat priviledged position due to her job. The rest of us have chances that range from slim to none of ever being able to shoot again - most particularly with side-arms. That latter is of no great loss to me, personally, as I could never hit the side of a barn with a pistol anyhow but the principle is important.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nah-wasn't thinking about profits gaines, though they are potentially.....considerable.

I was thinking more of the nuclear waste disposal problem, and how I have always thought that this was an elegant potential solution. WHen I worked at LANSCE I was really hopeful that funding would come through for this as a project-there was talk of it, but it never happened.

I'd just really like to see it happen.
I do not know anything about this process and but would the cost of realisation be likely to be billions rather than millions? Has it not happened already because we do not have the capability or because it is not economically viable or it is a problem too easily "hidden" where it is out of sight and mind? And but yet I should think you would be a wanted man (in both a very good way and a very ominous way too) were you to bring this technology online even in some private philanthropical venture.

Yes as you say, a fool and his money are easily parted. I think the obscenity lies in the inequality. Giving one person $100M to squander on a fleet of Lamborghinis or a flock of butlers and maids while this would sustain a children's hospital or feed a poverty-stricken township for a year or generate job creation in our worse depressed urban or rural areas is in my mind perverse. Yes it is the nature of the game, and who knows, maybe one day from it, a true altruist will emerge.

Actually Jenna, one million is probably enough to get a lot of bills paid, the house/car(s) paid off and a nice home entertainment center and a great vacation with a little left over to last the rest of the year. Basically a million bucks doesn't get as far as it used to. So how about up-ing the ante to say about $5 million?
Well if you feel you need $5M then you go ahead. $4M less for those whom you would otherwise have chosen to assist I guess. They will manage, yes?

I like how you divvy out the loot. I agree too that a close eye would need to be kept on the benefactors (as we are all naturally greedy) and I like you have heard stories of fraud and misuse of monetary donations. I like too your "secret millionaire" idea though it might be seen as quite a self-gratifying endeavour no? Your idea brings something else to light too in that with such monetary power, we depend upon the integrity of the distributor of that money to do "good" with it. And what is one person's good is another's not-good. In extreme cases I guess there's always James Bond to subdue the evil millionaires ha.

In direct terms of benefit to me, it would be somewhat less fraught when it comes to either transporting my swords or buying new ones. In the more important indirect terms, the legislation that has been enacted when it comes to swords is a stranglehold on the 'supply' of future practitioners of the JSA in Britain. Every swordsman I know started out with those god-awful cheap 'imitations' that are now outlawed. Without that impetous, very few of us would have progressed on to searching out legitimate instruction and gone on to purchase the 'real thing' to practise with.

The same applies to guns too. I know Tez does not wholeheartedly agree on this but, with the greatest of respect to her, she is in a somewhat priviledged position due to her job. The rest of us have chances that range from slim to none of ever being able to shoot again - most particularly with side-arms. That latter is of no great loss to me, personally, as I could never hit the side of a barn with a pistol anyhow but the principle is important.
What would you have in mind Suke? Some kind of carry licence? As you say, it already applies to military. Would you use your $100M to bribe... sorry lobby Home Office ministers? OR use half of it for that and the other half to pay for the extra policing needed?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well if you feel you need $5M then you go ahead. $4M less for those whom you would otherwise have chosen to assist I guess. They will manage, yes?

I like how you divvy out the loot. I agree too that a close eye would need to be kept on the benefactors (as we are all naturally greedy) and I like you have heard stories of fraud and misuse of monetary donations. I like too your "secret millionaire" idea though it might be seen as quite a self-gratifying endeavour no?

I'd do it for my own reasons and the hell with anyone else's speculations on my motives. What have THEY done lately?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd do it for my own reasons and the hell with anyone else's speculations on my motives. What have THEY done lately?
Exactly so. Your donations by any standard are highly laudable.

Can I ask, would you be a secretive philanthropist do you think? Or would you be a publicity-drawing Bill Gates-style philanthropist, hoping your benevolence would encourage the same in others maybe? Thank you.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Exactly so. Your donations by any standard are highly laudable.

Can I ask, would you be a secretive philanthropist do you think? Or would you be a publicity-drawing Bill Gates-style philanthropist, hoping your benevolence would encourage the same in others maybe? Thank you.

My faith teaches me "to do these things in secret, and the Father rewards openly." (or something like that)... besides nobody else's business what I do with the money that is given to me unless they give it to me for a specific purpose.

Besides who needs attention... I don't.

uhh... :wavey: over here... I said I don't need attention... hello??

( :uhyeah: )

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes as you say, a fool and his money are easily parted. I think the obscenity lies in the inequality. Giving one person $100M to squander on a fleet of Lamborghinis or a flock of butlers and maids while this would sustain a children's hospital or feed a poverty-stricken township for a year or generate job creation in our worse depressed urban or rural areas is in my mind perverse. Yes it is the nature of the game, and who knows, maybe one day from it, a true altruist will emerge.

An individual spending his money on cars or other luxuries does so because he wishes to and at his expense. These needy kids, hospitals that seem to be permanently on fire, etc, didn't have the money in the first place and have no claim to it at all. Another person's need does not become my burden. If the world worked liek that we would all be forced to pay alms to those a step or two lower on the financial ladder, because they want that money.

Why is it moral to serve the happiness of others, but not your own? If enjoyment is a value, why is it moral when experienced by others, but immoral when experienced by you? If the sensation of eating a cake is a value, why is it an immoral indulgence in your stomach, but a moral goal for you to achieve in the stomach of others? Why is it immoral for you to desire, but moral for others to do so? Why is it immoral to produce a value and keep it, but moral to give it away? And if it is not moral for you to keep a value, why is it moral for others to accept it? If you are selfless and virtuous when you give it, are they not selfish and vicious when they take it? Does virtue consist of serving vice? Is the moral purpose of those who are good, self-immolation for the sake of those who are evil?

Whatever the value involved, it is your lack of it that gives you a claim upon those who don’t lack it. It is your need that gives you a claim to rewards. If you are able to satisfy your need, your ability annuls your right to satisfy it. But a need you are unable to satisfy gives you first right to the lives of mankind. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I do not know anything about this process and but would the cost of realisation be likely to be billions rather than millions? Has it not happened already because we do not have the capability or because it is not economically viable or it is a problem too easily "hidden" where it is out of sight and mind? And but yet I should think you would be a wanted man (in both a very good way and a very ominous way too) were you to bring this technology online even in some private philanthropical venture.

THe cost of actually bringing a full scale production transmutation facility on line could reach billions, but a proof-of-principle prototype could be done for $100 million-and LANSCE is the only facility in the world where a prototype could be accomplished. It hasn't happened already because no one thinks it's important enough-we're already doing transmutation at LANSCE for medical isotopes. There are hazards and problems inherent in the process that would have to be addressed.

It wasn't my idea, but it's a damn good one.

. I think the obscenity lies in the inequality. Giving one person $100M to squander on a fleet of Lamborghinis or a flock of butlers and maids while this would sustain a children's hospital or feed a poverty-stricken township for a year or generate job creation in our worse depressed urban or rural areas is in my mind perverse. Yes it is the nature of the game, and who knows, maybe one day from it, a true altruist will emerge.

It's the nature of things-though, I have to add that if you start squandering $100M on Lambos, you're gonna go broke pretty quick. On the other hand, in spite of all the horror stories, there are a lot of people who have won large amounts of money in lotteries and just gone on living their lives at a somewhat higher standard, and without ever having to worry about money again. My point of view-handed down from my father, and his father and grandfather before him-is that there's really only so much money you can spend for yourself on stuff-everything else is just showing off, or being silly, or something. At a certain point, the realization comes for most that money is power, and one should really use that money to do good for others.

But that's my point of view, and everyone else can do as they like-no skin off my back.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was a very small part of local program a few years ago. Money was raised (like $20,000) not very much and was then given away. People wrote in what they would do with the money (it was given out in $1,000.00 'grants'). The idea was that the money would benefit others and they would benefit by helping others. Many video taped their helping of others and the reactions of those receiving the gifts. For some it was dropping off bags of groceries at poorer neighbors homes, for others it was small home/auto repairs. Many of the videos were very touching and what is interesting is that they provided the momentum for others to also get into the act of giving and helping. Just as fear and hate are contagious so is hope.

Can't imagine doing this with the kind of money talked about in the thread but could see everyone in the thread give some thought and a put a couple of hundred dollars to a neighbors need. The high of giving and helping is just like the endorphin high runners get, except it can last for weeks or months and by reliving-recounting the giving the high returns. It does not take much. In Tim Sanders book 'Today We Are Rich' he tells of a day when his grandmother who he was living with gave a traveling man some work. The man worked hard all day and Tim watched and talked to the man learning some lessons (read the book it is worth it) at the end of the day his grandmother paid the man the money due, gave a bit extra and to Tim's surprise a pair of her deceased husbands shoes. As the man walked off with his new shoes his grandmother told Tim, "today we are rich". The lesson being no matter how 'poor' you are you can always find somebody a little worse off and give them a hand. In doing so you enrich your own life. I agree with the lesson.

Welcome back Jenna, you have been missed.

Warmest Regards
Brian King

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's the nature of things-though, I have to add that if you start squandering $100M on Lambos, you're gonna go broke pretty quick. On the other hand, in spite of all the horror stories, there are a lot of people who have won large amounts of money in lotteries and just gone on living their lives at a somewhat higher standard, and without ever having to worry about money again. My point of view-handed down from my father, and his father and grandfather before him-is that there's really only so much money you can spend for yourself on stuff-everything else is just showing off, or being silly, or something. At a certain point, the realization comes for most that money is power, and one should really use that money to do good for others.

But that's my point of view, and everyone else can do as they like-no skin off my back.
Money has usually meant power. Power is neither good nor bad. But enough money gives you enough power to choose. That's why I chose to keep just enough to get myself without worry of deep debt and donate what is left. Don't want that much power, don't need it and ain't gonna be able to KEEP it no how because there'll always be somebody with more than little ole' me. Kinda depressing huh? To me it's accepting at the moment how things are. In the mean time I get a nice feeling with the idea of being able to help others.

:idunno: I know, I'm weird.

Latest Discussions