Yip Man's Classes

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know how Yip Man ran his classes? Like were they two hours long or something? Did they start off with stretching, then do some chi sao or sparring or stuff? Anyone know?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know how Yip Man ran his classes? Like were they two hours long or something? Did they start off with stretching, then do some chi sao or sparring or stuff? Anyone know?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
There were regular classes often taught by senior students like Andrew Ma with Ip Man basically sitting there and occasionally correcting here and there.After class was over after about 1 1/2 hours Ip Man would teach a few students privately.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ip Ching's book, Ip Man Portrate of a Kung Fu Master, Ip Ching describes his dad's classes and how after the classes he would go out to town with his students for dinner and some drinks. Ip Man also often taught classes mid day and in the evening before ending the day.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ip Ching's book, Ip Man Portrate of a Kung Fu Master, Ip Ching describes his dad's classes and how after the classes he would go out to town with his students for dinner and some drinks. Ip Man also often taught classes mid day and in the evening before ending the day.
-------------------------------------------By the time the sons joined their father
in Hong Kong, Ip man was at the end of his teaching career.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are correct Vajramusti, but as most sons would know what their father was doing, in general, even if they were not doing it with him.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are correct Vajramusti, but as most sons would know what their father was doing, in general, even if they were not doing it with him.
-------------------------------------------------------------
True. But that does not mean that the sons knew the fathers motions and understandings.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I completely agree. My only point to my first comment was this particular book was written through the eyes of a son into his father's activity and life, not anything to do with Ip Ching's abilities as a martial artist. I think universally everyone agrees that Ip Man had great martial skills. Not everyone agrees about his two son's skills. The point of this book has more to do with Ip Man's life and not meant to be a book on Wing Chun.

Reactions: KPM

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------------
True. But that does not mean that the sons knew the fathers motions and understandings.

I would even wonder how much they knew prior to their arrival in Hong Kong. If I remember correctly they stayed on the mainland after Yip Man had fled to dodge the Communists and they then fled with the coming of the Cultural Revolution. I can't imagine there was a lot of freedom of communication between those living Hong Kong and the Territories with those living in Communist China proper at the time.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would even wonder how much they knew prior to their arrival in Hong Kong. If I remember correctly they stayed on the mainland after Yip Man had fled to dodge the Communists and they then fled with the coming of the Cultural Revolution. I can't imagine there was a lot of freedom of communication between those living Hong Kong and the Territories with those living in Communist China proper at the time.
--------------------------------
I thought that I was clear. Maybe not?The sons knew about their father's mentoring by Leung Bik. Ip Man's wing chun is quite different and more advanced than Chan Wah Suns- though as a traditional IM honored his first teacher. The sons did not really know wing chun till they arrived in HK.By that time Ip Man was winding down his teaching.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
--------------------------------
I thought that I was clear. Maybe not?The sons knew about their father's mentoring by Leung Bik. Ip Man's wing chun is quite different and more advanced than Chan Wah Suns- though as a traditional IM honored his first teacher. The sons did not really know wing chun till they arrived in HK.By that time Ip Man was winding down his teaching.

Ahh that makes it more clear, thank you.