YES!!! Giant squids DO exist!

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
hehehe...my day is now complete!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050927/sc_afp/scienceanimalssquid_050927231557

PARIS (AFP) - Japanese zoologists have made the first recording of a live giant squid, one of the strangest and most elusive creatures in the world.
The size of a bus, with vast eyes and a querulous beak, Architeuthis has long nourished myth and literature, most memorably in Jules Vernes' "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," in which a squid tried to engulf the submarine Nautilus with its suckered tentacles.
Until now, the only evidence of giant squids was extraordinarily rare -- from dead squids that washed up on remote shores or got snagged on a long-line fish hook or from ships' crews who spotted the deep-sea denizen as it made a sortie near the surface.
In 2003, New Zealand marine biologists laid a sex trap.

They ground up some squid gonads, believing that the scent would drive male giant squids wild as the creatures migrated through New Zealand waters.

The hope was that a camera would squirt out the pureed genitals and a passing squid, driven into a sexual frenzy, would then mate with the lens -- a project that, some may be relieved to hear, never came to fruition.
New Zealand Biologists have some peculiar ideas about sex traps.

That trap wouldn't have worked on me either. I can't imagine ground up ovaries squirting out of a camera lens to be something that I would find so arousing that I would attempt to mate with the lens...

...then again, it has been awhile.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
(yawn) ok now if they can do this for Nessie and the Sasquatch then we'll have no more mysteries...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I married Sasquatch - I can testify that he lives and breathes ... and ... stinks ... and screeches .... and ... yeah ....:uhyeah:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
MACaver said:
(yawn) ok now if they can do this for Nessie and the Sasquatch then we'll have no more mysteries...
Next time you go caving, take a cat with you. Take some underground pictures. Publish, and claim its a rare hairy giant cave slug. Start a new mystery :) hehe...

any chance of you updating your caving thread anytime soon?

MrH