Yamarashi

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think it was supposed to be a yama-arashi, but it looks nothing like it, at least not one that I've ever seen. If anything that's a seoi-nage.... with a slightly different entry and an armlock on the second arm.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm apt to agree; the Yama-Arashi (mountain throw) I learned didn't look like that. But I have to admit...the yama-arashi in Obata's Samurai Aiki book didn't look like what I learned either.

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I'm apt to agree; the Yama-Arashi (mountain throw) I learned didn't look like that. But I have to admit...the yama-arashi in Obata's Samurai Aiki book didn't look like what I learned either.
I would say with the leg reap of the first picture that would be uchi-mat

G

Gaston

By the placement of the leg and grip, I would have to agree with the "Uchimata" clasification. Although other martial arts may use a different name for the same throw. For a different view of Uchimata look in "Best Judo" on pg. 68

K

Kevin Walker

Hi,

The way I was taught Yama-rashi (Mountain storm drop throw) doesn't exactly look that way in the photograph.

Maybe it's a 'kazure' (modified) Yamarashi?

The way I was taught Yamarashi, it was appropriately named. If one could pull it off during a tournament, it would be devastating. More devastating than a maki-komi.

The way I was taught, was that the both hands gripped the right side (migu) of uke's lapel, then proceeded to pull him over in a combination of morote-seionage and tai-otoshi, and winding all the time like a maki-komi. A very violent throw.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i've always enjoyed yamarashi...if for nothing else...just the translation..."Moutain Storm" what a great name for a technique...

P

Patrick Skerry

lonewolf12563 said:
Here is a cool throw check it out. www.lonewolfjujutsu.com
Move of the month. Thanks ed.
I'm sorry, but that really doesn't look like Yamarashi (mountain storm drop throw) to me. I think that Uki would be more going over face first, like in a tai otoshi (body drop) than in this O Soto Gari (major outside reaping throw) looking technique in this picture.

Latest Discussions