Yakima Ju-Jitsu Instructor Booked in Jail for Child Rape Charges

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wow. Cristiano is a well known instructor. I don't know him well but I've interacted with him a few times each year at tournaments and such for years. If this is true, I hope he goes away fur a long time. Very sad.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a sad situation. We will of course have to let the courts play out but it sounds that he confessed.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet another horrid situation. I hope the victim is able to overcome the nightmare of this situation.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Apparently, there is more. not surprising. Depressing. Heartbreaking. Not unique to MA
EXCEPT that " self-protection" is part of most MA. and is so often utterly wrong-headed.

More information here:
http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/latestlocalnews/2126893-8/jiu-jitsu-instructor-arrested-on-suspicion-of-having

Jarad Deal is general manager of the Gracie Barra school where Oliviera was an instructor
And this is included:
Deal said the charge was a “shock” to him, saying he knew both Oliveira and his accuser and never witnessed anything improper.
However, Oliveira last year was sued by the mother of a teenage student who said he attempted to “groom” the student for sex using Facebook.

Deal said he thought the suit had been dismissed, and attributed that accusation to a misinterpretation caused by Oliveira’s heavy Brazilian accent.
But attorney J.J. Sandlin, who represents the girl’s family, said the lawsuit is proceeding in Yakima County Superior Court. He said Oliveira never touched the girl, but she lost interest in martial arts and feared retribution from Oliveira as a result of the messages, which the suit described as “inappropriate, unsolicited and offensive.”

Facebook posts. No accent discernable

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do these instructors get "alone time" with these children to do this? In most dojo situations Ive ever encountered the parent drops the kid off and is sitting in the waiting room or in the parking lot 10 minutes before class is over....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
How do these instructors get "alone time" with these children to do this? In most dojo situations Ive ever encountered the parent drops the kid off and is sitting in the waiting room or in the parking lot 10 minutes before class is over....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
I get the impression this was outside the school. This guy is very well known in the Seattle area. He's helped referee a lot of tournaments. Would never have guessed it. I'm blown away.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get the impression this was outside the school. This guy is very well known in the Seattle area. He's helped referee a lot of tournaments. Would never have guessed it. I'm blown away.

respectability is a great cover....

Latest Discussions