Yahoo: White says Coleman's career with the UFC is finished

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-07-2010 06:46 AM:

Mark Coleman was trying to remake his career with a win over Randy Couture. The 45-year-old Coleman just didn't have enough to knock off his fellow legend losing via rear-naked choke. As main events go, it wasn't the worst show at UFC 109. Coleman, who was defended vehemently by UFC president Dana White before the event, probably did enough to earn another fight, right? Wrong. White told the media at the UFC 109 postfight presser that it was the end of the road for Coleman.

"I think tonight was probably Coleman's last fight in the UFC," said White. "I just think he'll have a hard time competing with the guys at the top of the level. Age is a factor with him."

White said even a heated promotion involving Coleman and Tito Ortiz didn't interest him.

"Tito's a lot younger than him."

Ortiz set off Coleman during his postfight speech in the cage with Joe Rogan. Ortiz cursed out Coleman while walking by the Octagon and his girlfriend Jenna Jameson flipped him off.

White didn't even understand what was going on.

"Tito's talking [expletive] to Coleman after Coleman just lost this fight that he's wanted his whole life? Tito's fighting Chuck [Liddell]. I'm not even thinking Tito-Coleman."

The decision to cut Coleman seems a bit odd considering it was just two days ago White was chastising fans/media for saying Coleman was too old to be in the main event of a UFC card. Two days later White's saying age is a factor. Huh?

The last UFC main event fight who wasn't brought back for another fight was Tim Sylvia, who chose to sign a big deal with Affliction and fight Fedor Emelianenko. Who was the last UFC main eventer immediately cut because the promotion didn't think he could fight anymore?

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.