Yahoo: The new Torres: Intense, focused and more composed in the cage

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
03-06-2010 11:40 AM:

Miguel Torres doesn't like losing. Who does? Judging by the way he changed his training regimen and watching this prefight interview, there's nothing glib right now about former the WEC bantanweight champ. He wants his belt back and Joe Benavidez is in the way.

He scrapped his old way of training and plans on unveiling a new fight plan. That is, he's going to have a plan and actually stick to it.

"The biggest thing I've changed is to not chase people too much, but to be smart about it and circle more." Torres told Ray Flores.

Torres is much bigger than the 5-foot-3 Benavidez. But he didn't take advantage of a similar size advantage in his title belt loss to Brian Bowles.

"The height advantage is important but it doesn't really mean much unless I fight smart. I have a lot of height and reach on all my opponents but I tend to fight a little bit crazy."

Torres worked with three different camps, all far away from his hometown area of Chicago. He drilled jiu-jitsu in Las Vegas with Robert Drysdale, striking in Boston with Mark Dellagrotte and wrestling in New Jersey with Kurt Pellegrino. Because he was winning so easily at times during a 17-fight victory streak, Torres (37-2) began to flaunt his versatility but wasn't always playing to his strengths.

"I've always had the ability to do that," said Torres. "I just tend to get into fights and try to fight them at their strengths instead of fighting them at their weaknesses. I'm focused more on gameplanning now."

It sounds like the Bowles loss was a wakeup call and possibly a career rebirth.

"You're not going to see a new Miguel Torres but an improved Miguel Torres. And make a statement for the rest of my career of who I am and what I'm going to get back," said Torres, glaring into the camera.

Saying it and doing it are two different things. Torres has targeted the problem but when the door closes will all this analysis pay off or will the brawling, emotional Miguel re-emerge? Find out tonight at 10 p.m. ET on Versus.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions