Yahoo: Lesnar says he would've retired if serious surgery was done

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
01-20-2010 06:35 PM:

The MMA world may never understand how close it was to losing its biggest draw forever. Brock Lesnar, who announced his return to active fighting this morning, talked about his ordeal with a serious intestinal disorder. He had multiple doctors suggest that life-altering surgery was almost a certainty. Lesnar went home, changed his diet and wished for the best. "I was facing a colostomy bag," said Lesnar. "What they wanted to do was go in and remove the bad section of my colon. If the perforation wouldn't have healed itself, I was facing removing my colon.Then they can't reattach right away because of all the inflammation. So then I would've been wearing a colostomy bag for 6-8 weeks. Then they go in and reattach my intestines back together"

If that were the case, Lesnar was facing a tough decision with his fighting career.

"I would've probably retired."

The human body is amazing sometimes. Lesnar returned for another check up earlier this month and the doctor said he'd gotten a lottery ticket. No longer was the serious surgery a necessity.

It's a crazy story. And one can only imagine how much pain Lesnar was in when he was first rushed to hospital where they eventually struck a six-inch needle into his stomach to remove 14 cc's of fluid.
White reiterated what he told Cagewriter back in November that Lesnar was told by doctors that he'd been suffering from a lack of nutrients for close to a year and was probably operating at around 60 percent of his potential.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions