www.makalakula.com is up and running - thoughts?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks nice, but none of the links are links. They're just text on the screen.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing at all about the system or instructors. The curriculum page will only make sense to people with at least some MA training.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get "access denied" when loading the main page? Is that intentional or is your page not iPad-friendly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that picture on the homepage your school? It doesn't look like it from what's on the pictures/videos page, but having it top dead center on the home page certainly gives that (possibly false) impression.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is ok but there is something I am not exactly sure about and I think it is the menu.

Either the lettering is to big or the white lettering is to bright or the blue around it but it just does not seem to fit the rest of the page or it could be to many font styles on the page itself...not exactly sure.... but maybe it is just me

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why is the picture on the home page of the hands tied a link of some kind? Are you running a bondage site on the side, and this is a sneaky way of linking it? :rofl:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why is the picture on the home page of the hands tied a link of some kind? Are you running a bondage site on the side, and this is a sneaky way of linking it? :rofl:
You know, sometimes the gutter isn't the best place for a mind to live...at least not permanently...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still working on this.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It's a metaphor for the school, but maybe that's misleading...lol.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is all my thoughts as if I were looking at this through the eyes of a new, prospective student.
I know the style is a form of Tang Soo Do, but i don't know who i will be learning from, or what their verification is/who they learned from. I also see the curriculum, but don't know what the different moves are. I do, however, know exactly where to find the school, as well as how much material is required for each belt, and roughly how long it will take to get each belt. Also, thanks to the videos, I have a pretty good view of what I will be learning at the school, despite not knowing what the curriculum itself means, if I am willing to watch the video (depending on how interested, I may or may not want to spend the time watching them)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I understand the metaphore, but the picture is also a hyperlink. That's the part that does not make sense.

Weird. This is my first attempt ever at making a website. I have a lot to learn yet.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not my style of design, so looking at technical concerns only here.

Some of your pages have links on them. Verify they are active links. Most I found weren't.

Your home page really needs more text. As-is, there isn't much for search engines to 'chew on', which will hurt your rankings.

Make sure you have title tag as well as keyword and description meta tags.
Alt tags for all images as well.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not my style of design, so looking at technical concerns only here.

Some of your pages have links on them. Verify they are active links. Most I found weren't.

Your home page really needs more text. As-is, there isn't much for search engines to 'chew on', which will hurt your rankings.

Make sure you have title tag as well as keyword and description meta tags.
Alt tags for all images as well.

Thanks Bob. I jumped into this thing with the idea that I'd learn as I went along. I have no idea what alt tags are for example.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
alt tags are text labels on your images.
See for a complete description http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_tag

Depending on what software you used to do the site, it may be called description or label. Just helps with SEO a bit, and if graphics dont load for some reason lets folks know something was there.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've made some changes. I changed one of the background images. I've updated some philosophy and mission material. I've worked on the membership and schools pages. I'll be working on this slowly over time...it's one of those things that I wish I had more time for. Grrr...

Latest Discussions