WTF or ITF

TKD Scotland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pretty simple question, which Taekwon-do federation are you? ITF for me, I used to be in the GTF but my club converted in 2009.

Another question, there seems to be quite a few International Taekwon-do federations, which one had their world championships in South Korea last summer? I know some people I have trained with or trained under before that competed in Korea. This year's European championships are in Ireland.

Taekwon.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My club is affiliated with neither, and that is the norm in my area.

What training options are there in Scotland? I know there's even a He Il Cho (AIMAA) group out there from his newsletter.

OP
T

TKD Scotland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train under Ultimate Taekwon-do. The master in charge is a man named Master David Brown(7th dan)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pretty simple question, which Taekwon-do federation are you?
Kukkiwon/WTF

ITF for me, I used to be in the GTF but my club converted in 2009.
GTF... Global Taekwondo Federation? I'm not familiar with them. What prompted the conversion?

Another question, there seems to be quite a few International Taekwon-do federations, which one had their world championships in South Korea last summer? I know some people I have trained with or trained under before that competed in Korea. This year's European championships are in Ireland.

Taekwon.
I don't know which one had their world championships in SK last summer, but I'd say ITF V if I was asked to guess.

There are four ITF groups, from what I have gathered. ITF V (Vienna) is the largest. I believe that one is HQed in Canada, not sure about the third, and the last one in in NK, eliminating them from being the one to have their world championships in South Korea last summer.

Daniel

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
GTF... Global Taekwondo Federation? I'm not familiar with them. What prompted the conversion?

The GTF was founded by GM Park, Jung Tae back in 1989 or 1990 when he left/got kicked out of the ITF (depending on who you ask ;) ). He was a pretty awesome technician from what I have heard. My instructor trained with him a few times and had nothing but nice things to say about him.

I don't know which one had their world championships in SK last summer, but I'd say ITF V if I was asked to guess.

No. The ITF under GM Choi, Jung Hwa has held its WC in SK in both 2004 and 2010. While all three ITF factions have schools in SK now (or did, anyway; I haven't seen or heard anything about the ITF-V or ITF-NK schools there recently - not that that means anything) GM Choi's group has the biggest presence there. And by biggest presence I mean pretty damn small compared to the WTF/KKW presence there :lol:

There are four ITF groups, from what I have gathered. ITF V (Vienna) is the largest. I believe that one is HQed in Canada, not sure about the third, and the last one in in NK, eliminating them from being the one to have their world championships in South Korea last summer.

Daniel

There are three groups claiming to be the legitimate ITF. ITF-C under GM Choi, Jung Hwa; ITF-V under the acting president GM Tratjenberg and ITF-NK under Chang Ung.

There are other splinter groups (such as GM Hwang, Kwang Sung's Unified-ITF and GM Sereff's USTF) but none of the claim to be the ITF. It's annoying at times but is very similar to what happened after Mas Oyama died. I think there are three groups claiming to be the IKO.

Pax,

Chris

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty simple question, which Taekwon-do federation are you? ITF for me, I used to be in the GTF but my club converted in 2009.

I'm with the ITF under GM Choi, Jung Hwa.

Is your instructor with Master Nicholls since you're in Scotland? My instructor has trained a couple of times with Master Nicholls and said he was very, very powerful.

Taekwon.

Answered in my previous post, but it was GM Choi's goup who had their WC's in Korea last year (and in 2004).

Oh, and welcome to MT :)

Pax,

Chris

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am neither WTF or ITF, and depending on who you talk to what I practice is more aligned with Tang Soo Do. Although our KJN refers to it as Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo, rather than Tang Soo Do or Soo Bahk Do.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kukkiwon/WTF. Wouldn't have it any other way, honestly, I love what we teach.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train at an independent school. Most large schools in my area are independent. I know of a couple of local ITF schools and 3 or 4 WTF schools in my area, but they are relatively small schools.

OP
T

TKD Scotland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm with the ITF under GM Choi, Jung Hwa.

Is your instructor with Master Nicholls since you're in Scotland? My instructor has trained a couple of times with Master Nicholls and said he was very, very powerful.

Answered in my previous post, but it was GM Choi's goup who had their WC's in Korea last year (and in 2004).

Oh, and welcome to MT :)

Pax,

Chris
Actually my instructor is a 3rd dan. The president of the Scottish federation, Master Brown(7th dan) is the instructor of my instructor. Master Brown is an associate of Argentina's Master Maidana.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
personally i train under UK-TKD, its part of the association of traditional taekwondo, and is basically ITF as general choi originally formed.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Taekwon.

Neither, although our senior members (myself included) started with the ITF, and we practice Ch'ang H'on TKD.

Latest Discussions