Would you fight back against a knifeman?

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, you see it in Martial Art movies all the time. A bad guy grabs a knife or Chinese Broadsword and grabs from behind and says "If you move I will slit your throat!" The hero Martial Artists then does a back kick to the groin, elbow to the head, snapemare the man, ect. However, would these attacks work in real life.

Would a good kick to the groin really stun a dude with a knife making enough time to run or fight back? I know many men that can control themselves when they get kicked in the groin. Would be long enough to escape a stab or slit to the throat?

How about an elbow to the head, would you do it? If you don't hit the guy hard enough to escape he will get you hard with the knife. Even ad snapmare (head throw). If you don't throw them with enough force they will yet again get with the knife. So do you think it would be better to do with the man says if he caught you blind-eyed with a knife? Not sure whether I would, but it might be safer.

How about fighting a knifeman? Do you think disarming techniques are practical or is it better to run?

What do you think about all of this?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kane said:
Okay, you see it in Martial Art movies all the time. A bad guy grabs a knife or Chinese Broadsword and grabs from behind and says "If you move I will slit your throat!" The hero Martial Artists then does a back kick to the groin, elbow to the head, snapemare the man, ect. However, would these attacks work in real life.

Would a good kick to the groin really stun a dude with a knife making enough time to run or fight back? I know many men that can control themselves when they get kicked in the groin. Would be long enough to escape a stab or slit to the throat?

How about an elbow to the head, would you do it? If you don't hit the guy hard enough to escape he will get you hard with the knife. Even ad snapmare (head throw). If you don't throw them with enough force they will yet again get with the knife. So do you think it would be better to do with the man says if he caught you blind-eyed with a knife? Not sure whether I would, but it might be safer.

How about fighting a knifeman? Do you think disarming techniques are practical or is it better to run?

What do you think about all of this?

In any situation, I feel that the first thing that should be attempted would be to remove yourself from the situation. In other words, if you can run, do so. If that is not an option, find something to use as an equalizer. Pretty much anywhere you look, you should be able to find something. A stick, rock, sand, chair, belt, etc. and using it to aid in your defense.

IMO, any time you're dealing with a weapon, attempting to gain control of the weapon hand is important. From there, work your defense, strikes, etc.

Keep in mind that much of what you see in the movies is for show. The "good guy" could be in a room with 15 others, and of course he's going to win!! The thing with disarms is to keep it simple and effective.

Keep your training as realistic as possible, with aliveness and resistance. By doing that you'll find what works and what doesnt.

Mike

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heck yeah, I'm going to run. I'll use empty hand skills only if running isn't an option.

Example...I'm standing between the assailant and a child. Anybody going to run then?

But then, I almost always carry a knife. So I guess the scenario likely won't play that way.

Regards,

Steve

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
if it's a robbery situation throw your billfold one way and run the other...he has to make a choice...and i'd go for the money...

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
hardheadjarhead said:
Heck yeah, I'm going to run. I'll use empty hand skills only if running isn't an option.

Example...I'm standing between the assailant and a child. Anybody going to run then?

But then, I almost always carry a knife. So I guess the scenario likely won't play that way.

Ditto.

I carry a knife, but I'd still rather run than be forced to close the distance with a knife-wielding attacker. There'd have to be some reason I'm forced to engage.

D

Disco

I know many men that can control themselves when they get kicked in the groin.

I can't help but honestly question that statement........ I can understand an exception to the rule, but many men that can control a groin hit? How many times have we all seen trained boxers get a low blow and their wearing protection, get the fight stopped so they can recover. Same for UFC, Pride, K-1 and so on. :btg:

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Disco said:

I can't help but honestly question that statement........ I can understand an exception to the rule, but many men that can control a groin hit? How many times have we all seen trained boxers get a low blow and their wearing protection, get the fight stopped so they can recover. Same for UFC, Pride, K-1 and so on. :btg:
i question the validity of this statement...but there is some truth to what he says...i highly doubt the ability of anyone to control a groin shot...to avoid it...yes...guys are trained from birth to protect that area..and we can cross our legs at the speed of light to avoid taking a shot there...

however...in a real life fight situation...your body goes into fight or flight response as we all know...but one of the things the body does is the scrotum pulls up to help protect the testicles...in this position...if you get kicked in the groin...the testicles may just get kicked up into the body...which hurts...but isn't nearly as debilatating as a normal groin shot...not to mention the effects of adrenaline overriding pain....

but, yes...for a guy to stand there and take a shot to the groin and not start crying is doubtable...

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would I fight a knife-wielding attacker? Yeah...if the stakes were high enough and I couldn't get away. However, it's not going to be pretty. IMHO, a knife is the most dangerous weapon you can encounter at close-quarters which is precisely the reason that at any given time I have at least two on my person. I would personally rate a knife over a gun at extreme close range because with a gun, as long as you can grab it and keep the muzzle pointed away you're in pretty good shape (I'm speaking in relative terms here if you hadn't already guessed ;)). A knife however is much harder to control without sustaining some type of injury because unlike a gun, where the only dangerous part is the hole in the end, you can't grab the knife without getting cut. Therefore, you are reduced to trying to control the arm or hand which still allows some freedom of movement. It can be done but it's not something that I ever want to have to do. As far as defending against the knife to the throat scenario, the best defense is to not get there in the first place.

A

AaronLucia

RUN AWAY! FAR AWAY!

Now if you are cornered, you have no choice..maybe u can talk him out of it.
If not, it's either do or die.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Run if you can. If you can't control the knife and and attempt to strike it to break and make the attacker drop it. There are quite a few knife defense techs we're taught in kenpo starting at third brown and going through black. Then again, we're also taught if the strike doesn't make him drop it, then you control the arm and use the weapon against him. Important to notice which way the blade is facing also. You need to strike when it's facing away from you.

So I guess the answer is, given no other choice, yes. Am I confident doing it? Again, yes. My instructor has taught me well and continues to do so.

O

OC Kid

Well one thing my first instructor taught me and I teach it to this day, If you can get out of it do it. If you decide to actually fight the guy then you better be sure your better without a weapon then he is with a weapon.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Would I fight a knife-wielding attacker? Yeah...if the stakes were high enough and I couldn't get away. However, it's not going to be pretty. IMHO, a knife is the most dangerous weapon you can encounter at close-quarters which is precisely the reason that at any given time I have at least two on my person. I would personally rate a knife over a gun at extreme close range because with a gun, as long as you can grab it and keep the muzzle pointed away you're in pretty good shape (I'm speaking in relative terms here if you hadn't already guessed ;)). A knife however is much harder to control without sustaining some type of injury because unlike a gun, where the only dangerous part is the hole in the end, you can't grab the knife without getting cut. Therefore, you are reduced to trying to control the arm or hand which still allows some freedom of movement. It can be done but it's not something that I ever want to have to do. As far as defending against the knife to the throat scenario, the best defense is to not get there in the first place.
well...if you try to grab a semi-automatic pistol on the slide and it goes of it can break your hand when it rechambers...

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the attacker knows how to use a knife, you're getting cut. Maybe a lot. Hopefully all those who learn the blade are good people who wouldn't dream of ever doing such a thing. But that's kind of an unrealistic notion.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
well...if you try to grab a semi-automatic pistol on the slide and it goes of it can break your hand when it rechambers...
Actually grabbing the slide will disrupt the firing cycle and probably jam the weapon. I don't know too many calibers that would literally break bones in your hand, but you will definitely know you grabbed a gun when a finger, skin fold or something gets pinched in the slide action or the powder burn from the discharge finally registers through the adrenaline....OUCH.

Fight a knife wielding attacker, sure. With my gun, a rock, stick, garbage can, car, empty hand....as I am running and screaming like a little girl in pigtails (dragging my family with me if need be give the circumstances).

The point for civilians is to either neutralize or escape from a threat (knife or otherwise). I am NOT going to go toe to toe and try to 'take on' ANYONE in a self defense situation because it isn't the ring.

Size up the situation, make a plan, commit to that plan, adjust the plan as the situation changes (which it will), and always work toward a goal of creating escape routes and opportunities.

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Disco said:

I'm not saying that it won't hurt. However, what if the kick to the groin doesn't get his hands off you? He will have a chance to cut you then. Some people can avoid the pain of a groin kick and won't completly fall down or sometimes will only slightly flinch. f he still has you then he might have enough time to cut the defender.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Actually grabbing the slide will disrupt the firing cycle and probably jam the weapon. I don't know too many calibers that would literally break bones in your hand, but you will definitely know you grabbed a gun when a finger, skin fold or something gets pinched in the slide action or the powder burn from the discharge finally registers through the adrenaline....OUCH.
you'd have to have a heck of a grip to stop the slide...i guess what i was referring to wasn't so much the grabbing of the slide, but if you're hand is behind the slide...when it kicks back...it's going fast enough where there is a good possiblity of serious injury

any way you try to cut it...it's a bad situation to be in...

D

Disco

I'm not saying that it won't hurt. However, what if the kick to the groin doesn't get his hands off you? He will have a chance to cut you then. Some people can avoid the pain of a groin kick and won't completly fall down or sometimes will only slightly flinch. f he still has you then he might have enough time to cut the defender.

I'm still amazed at the thought process of a great many people that study the "Arts". Many just focus on the one aspect of defense, in this case the groin kick and interject the plethora of what if's...... Either their training is greatly lacking or they have not reached that level of training that answers questions. In this case I will gladly defer to my Kenpo/Kempo brethern, who use what I like to call a "barrage attack". The groin kick would be just the prelude to at least 3 or 4 additional strikes. Just using the given statement above,"I'm not saying that it won't hurt", opens the door for the defender. The human brain,when registering pain, focus's entirely on that pain. I'm not saying that the time element is going to be long, but all a defender needs is 1 or 2 seconds of the attackers distraction to offer him additional deterrents.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
you'd have to have a heck of a grip to stop the slide...i guess what i was referring to wasn't so much the grabbing of the slide, but if you're hand is behind the slide...when it kicks back...it's going fast enough where there is a good possiblity of serious injury

any way you try to cut it...it's a bad situation to be in...
Easier than you would think to interrupt the firing cycle. The slide will still move some, but it will not function properly and that could create misfeeds, jams or smokestack casing situations. Depending on the auto design, there may be a slide lock that you could trip/engage (probably accidentally because I would be FAR from calm enough to look for it well) that might help the cause. In that same line, some designs have slide releases that will send it off track or completely take it off the gun.

Yeah, I think if you should assume injury as just a day at the races if you are dealing with any confrontation.

C

Chicago Green Dragon

If the attacker knows how to use a knife you wont see it when he slashes at you. But you will feel it as it penitrates. I would first say get out of there ASAP. You have nothing to prove going against someone with an edged weapon. This guy could be an idiot but do you really want to take the chance.
I had a freind of mine tell me a story once.
His buddy was down in florida with this good tournament fighter (TF). They were in a bar when TF bumped into someone. The guy he bumped into appologized and said "i'm sorry i didnt mean to bump into you". But, TF didnt accept it and taunted the guy to step outside. Again the guy appologized but, TF wanted to fight. So they both stepped outside. TF took of his shoes and started doing some flashy kicks. The other guy took out a straight razor and knew how to use it.
TF guys kicks we no match for the other guy. The other guy cut TF up pretty bad. TF lost this fight Big Time.

If you are stuck in a situation where you can't get out of it. I would recommend using some of the weapons that are around us all the time. Then get otta there. You have no idea of what someone knows with a blade and i dont think you want to find out.

Just wondering how many people have gone against a real knife fighter on the street not inside a class or seminar and what happend ?

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Latest Discussions