Would it be unacceptable/rude if...

Saman

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

Do you think it would be "against the rules" if I went and tried out at a different gym while I'm a member somewhere else?

What would your sabumnim think? What do youthink?

TIA

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the benefits of training at a DoJo besides the self defense aspect would be honor, integrity, humility, and honesty. I am not sure about a Gym. I would guess that at a gym if you are paying the money it is your business where else you want to train. IMO

OP
S

Saman

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry - by gym I did mean a dojang.

Reason I ask is that someone I met has a dojang in a different city and I'm just curious as to where the boundaries are. For some reason, I don't think my sabumnim would like the idea of me visiting some other dojang at all.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To thine own self, be true.

And

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.

And other old sayings.

It is good to make others happy. It is critical to make yourself happy. Do what you feel is important. You do not have an obligation to perpetual membership in any given training place or instructor. That's my take on it, anyway.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same style? For me, I would be wondering why you were going over there. I would be asking myself if something is lacking in my teaching or if there is something wrong with you.

Different style? I would push you like crazy to go learn what you can and ask if there is any extra room in class. For me to come play. I am always up for learning new things, though my plate is full right now.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry - by gym I did mean a dojang.

Reason I ask is that someone I met has a dojang in a different city and I'm just curious as to where the boundaries are. For some reason, I don't think my sabumnim would like the idea of me visiting some other dojang at all.
A curriculum is the a-z steps from white belt to the black stages, that is taught at ever DoJo or DoJang. If you are at this stage of training with your current Sensei, then you are in the bonding part of your training. If I were at this stage of training with one of my students it would cause me to pause and evaluate your commitment to my dojo. After a few years of training a student, and they felt they wanted to gain some extra training elsewhere it would be easier for me to encourage it, IMHO. I am not sure what stage of training you are at, I hope this helps.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Do you think it would be "against the rules" if I went and tried out at a different gym while I'm a member somewhere else?

What would your sabumnim think? What do youthink?

TIA
What are the circumstances? Is there something making you unhappy or are you just curious about a different martial art or teaching style? Are you trying to fit another class or two in?

Why not ask your instructor about it? Have an open discussion and give him a chance to address any concerns you have -- or present his reasons for or against your visiting another school.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since past july I am leraning Kenpo in other dojo, and still practicing TKD in my dojang, my kenpo sensei know I'am a black belt in TKD and knows I take kenpo classes for the self defense thing, my TKD sambunoim does not know I am lerning Kenpo. So I train twice a week TKD and Twice a week kenpo.

I don't want to talk about my sambunim about the kenpo classes I am taking cause it seems to me he would take this in a wrong way, the fact is, giving in my dojang sambunim does not schedule self defense clases very ofthen and I love SD.

Don't know if it's lack of respect to learn Kenpo in other dojo at the same time I practicing TKD.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, after having seen that even schools within the same organization, with the exact same curriculum, requirements etc can have a vastly different approach to the matter.

In days past the ITA encouraged members so train with other instructors and still does to a point.

it does help to evaluate where you are in your own training, gives new impulses.

To some trainers that can be threatening. And that is not only the case for MA instructors.

It can be very confusing to have more than one instructor, but that can happen in the same dojang, too. If in doubt - especially regarding forms - you Sabumnim's opinion counts.

I think you should tell your master the way things are: A friend invited you to train with him.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the answer depends on your relationship with your instructor, and why you are thinking about checking out other schools.

If you have a buddy that invited you to his dojang to check out a class, there is nothing wrong with going to class with your friend.

However, if there is something that you are looking for...that your school isn't providing...its worth chatting with your instructor first.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some instructors / orgs say it is not permitted. General Choi specificaly states students should be encouraged to visit other gyms.

You need to check with your instructor.

Frankly, if an instructor I can't or shouldn't learn something, that most likely encourages me to go:)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, I was in this exact senario. I found a Korean Master, who had just opened a school in the Area. I was the first student, but already a 3rd Dan. I was very much into compteting. he offered me some good things, but I found myself teaching instead of training and getting Absolutely no sparring practice let alone being pushed to the next level. When the first larger tournament came up, I entered, unprepared no less, and without any support from him. I found myself making friends with another local school who invited me to train and workout with them.... at no cost. So 2 nights a week, I trained there and taught the rest of the time at the other school. Eventually, I left the first school for the second. Its about progressing to the next level. I tried to remain loyal, but things just didnt work out so it was easy for me to leave.

Latest Discussions