With age comes wisdom

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All my G.M's alway said with age comes wisdom, I guess my question is does anybody really believe this? I believe with age comes experience for alot of us but true wisdom is something you either have or you don't. I know to many middle age juveniles acting adults than I do teenagers. I also believe that wisdom is only a small role in must TKD schools from what I have seen, how do you embark wisdom on your students?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All my G.M's alway said with age comes wisdom, I guess my question is does anybody really believe this? I believe with age comes experience for alot of us but true wisdom is something you either have or you don't. I know to many middle age juveniles acting adults than I do teenagers. I also believe that wisdom is only a small role in must TKD schools from what I have seen, how do you embark wisdom on your students?

Wisdom does come with age. But that doesn't mean there are no old fools; the world is full of them. And certainly there are some few who are wise beyond their years. You cannot teach someone to be wise. While wisdom comes with age (or at least, experience) it also comes from within.

I'm 49, and I don't consider myself wise (although I've been called a wise guy - or similar things - more than once...) but I would like to think I'm closer to wisdom now than I was when I was 19. Or 29....

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wisdom comes from reflecting on experience; it doesn't come just because you've had experience.

With age can also come impatience and orneriness due to the clueless and impetuous youth.

I figure I'm old enough that I get to choose when to be 'wise' and when to bark at the youngsters.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wisdom comes with age...to those who are seeking it. It's not an automatic thing like you get a little each year for your birthday. If you are continually learning from your mistakes and the mistakes of others, if you are constantly trying to understand more etc. then yeah, I think you get a little wiser each year.

I also know plenty of middle aged fools. Perhaps wisdom atrophies the same way muscles do. So if you are not actively seeking wisdom you actually get more foolish each year.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My history teacher mentioned this in class one time many years ago...

Everybody has a mind like a leaky bucket. We pour knowledge and experience in the top and we slowly forget the information as it leaks out of the bottom. Everybody has a different size hole in the bottom of their bucket.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
...if you are not actively seeking wisdom you actually get more foolish each year.

There is security in foolishness (nobody expects much from a fool). It's like sitting on the floor when you're drunk; you don't have as far to fall. I'll take wisdom sometimes...if it makes me look good, but I will never give up my foolishness; it's much more fun to be irreverent.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I would say that with age comes perspective. With experience comes wisdom.

I've known some very old idiots in my life. :)

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say that with age comes perspective. With experience comes wisdom.

I've known some very old idiots in my life. :)

Some people don't learn, no matter how old they get, or how much they experience. <sigh>

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A person who is wise uses his/her knowledge and intelligence to make great decisions. This can be accomplished at any age. Some people are never wise and some of us need to gain life experience to become wise. I have seen some very wise 20 year olds and some very stupid 60 year olds!!!!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The folly of youth is to confuse intelligence with experience. The folly of age is to confuse experience with intelligence; - Author unknown.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Experience comes with age. Wisdom comes with experience. However, the former does not predicate the latter. Plenty of people have experience without wisdom. No one has wisdom without experience, although some have the appearance of it or a form of intelligence that approaches what would otherwise be called wisdom.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Age gives one life experience, so in that sense yes it does also bring wisdom. I may not be so much smarter now than when I was in my 20's, but I do know that I possess much more knowledge now. What's the old saying, I wish I had the knowledge I have now back then. I'd be a much better person... :mst:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If, "been there done that" gives you wisdom, then age is the common denominator. But, more importantly, is what we do with it.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some people are "book smart" but have no common sense. Some people have plenty of experience but still aren't wise.

With common sense, I believe either you have it or you don't. Wisdom can be gained by learning from your experiences and using that in your future experiences to direct a different/better outcome, and to impart that wisdom to others in order for them to avoid the negative outcome you previously had in the same experience.

Of course you have to have a certain amount of common sense and wisdom yourself to recognize the wisdom, or lack thereof, in someone else's advice.

The old fools are the ones that go through the same experience time and again and never learn that if they don't change something neither will the experience. And when a new experience presents itself they don't use what they've observed others who were successful in going through it have done, both positively and negatively, in order to make the best of that experience for themselves.

The "with age comes wisdom" should apply assuming that the older you are the more you have experienced, and assuming that you were "wise" enough to learn from them.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some people are "book smart" but have no common sense. Some people have plenty of experience but still aren't wise.

With common sense, I believe either you have it or you don't. Wisdom can be gained by learning from your experiences and using that in your future experiences to direct a different/better outcome, and to impart that wisdom to others in order for them to avoid the negative outcome you previously had in the same experience.

Of course you have to have a certain amount of common sense and wisdom yourself to recognize the wisdom, or lack thereof, in someone else's advice.

The old fools are the ones that go through the same experience time and again and never learn that if they don't change something neither will the experience. And when a new experience presents itself they don't use what they've observed others who were successful in going through it have done, both positively and negatively, in order to make the best of that experience for themselves.

The "with age comes wisdom" should apply assuming that the older you are the more you have experienced, and assuming that you were "wise" enough to learn from them.
Thanks Pam, pertaining to the common sense input. While growing up, this is the one thing my dad would drill into my head. I guess because he had no formal education himself, he wanted to make sure to pass on what he though was important, and what served him well over his life time. I can't say he, like myself, and others, always made the right choices, but, it was always common sense, that helped us out, or dug us out of any miss fortunes that came our way.
icon7.gif

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks Pam, pertaining to the common sense input. While growing up, this is the one thing my dad would drill into my head. I guess because he had no formal education himself, he wanted to make sure to pass on what he though was important, and what served him well over his life time. I can't say he, like myself, and others, always made the right choices, but, it was always common sense, that helped us out, or dug us out of any miss fortunes that came our way.
icon7.gif

Sadly, that animal is not that common after all.