Wise words from a wise woman

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could not agree with her more - the frightening lack of basic common-sense survival skills (for want of a better term) is something I have been saying for two decades or more is sorely lacking in the generations that have grown up in this overly 'comfortable' Age.

I was lucky that I was born just long enough ago and in a rural enough town to have learned the truth of that "learn to do or do without" aphorism.

When the cheap energy runs out and we have to turn back the clock a bit, those 'skill-less generations' are going to have one heck of a time. Being able to text one handed whilst watching YouTube is not a valuable talent - being able to sew, fix plumbing, cook on a fire, understand why a mechanical device like a waterwheel drive assembly isn't working ... those are valuable skills.

Of course, we might be lucky and not lose the cheap energy, as long as we put more money into research and development than we do fashion, sub-standard consumerism or X-Factor type crappy TV shows then we might have a chance of not sliding back yet again (as our species has done several times over the millenia) ... oh dear ...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The company where I work has many different jobs. I avoid learning many of them like the plague. I find if I get good at the jobs I like, the other jobs can't hurt me. Now is that so wrong?:)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The company where I work has many different jobs. I avoid learning many of them like the plague. I find if I get good at the jobs I like, the other jobs can't hurt me. Now is that so wrong?:)

could come back to bite you when only those jobs are open!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
could come back to bite you when only those jobs are open!
Actually I have the aptitude to do any of the jobs, and have had to prove it when I have quit and come back; however, they eventually put me where they will make the most money, and have me as backup for the less desirable jobs. We have one guy that knows how to polish and grind steel exceptionally well; so, during times of Layoffs he is untouchable. Many employees feel they have seniority over him, but come layoff time, he can polish and they can't; so, "Bye Bye".
Sean

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
or X-Factor type crappy TV shows then we might have a chance of not sliding back yet again (as our species has done several times over the millenia) ... oh dear ...

We need to ensure that the production of Dr. Who, Torchwood, Cadbury's chocolate, Penguins and Fish and chips are maintained, regardless of the cost to society.

I mean, there is a certain standard we must uphold, anything else is uncivilized

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She raises a very valid point: the specialization of skills within small sets leads to problems in all sorts of areas. I have one TKD student (he's 13) who can sew, cook, clean, repair small machines (like the lawnmower), garden, do minor carpentry, and he loves to read. His parents are doing a great job of preparing him for life. In contrast, too many of the middle school students I teach (at school, not TKD) can do none of those things - not even cook, unless it involves a prepackaged meal and a microwave. Sadly, this concern is not new:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, 1973

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I confess the Heinlein quote was one that sprang to my mind too :D.

I do have to say, for fairness sake, that I agree that this problem is not new. If it were then my missus would not be so proud of the fact that she "finally found a man who can do stuff and fix things". I know that sounds as if I am annointing myself with praise but it's not meant that way; it is simply an illustration that the phenomenon is not fresh to the recent generations.

However, I do think that the problem is worse than it was, primarily because of the plethora of technology that surrounds us and the service structure that supports our society. It is such that people can happily get by without having to learn any 'useful' archaic skills, like simple mechanics, plumbing or carpentry.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To act as a faint glimmer of light that all is not lost ...

... I was at a steaming day on Monday for a local classic railway (Churnet Valley). Whilst I was getting some shots of the engine linking up to the carriages for a run, I noticed there were a couple of small boys with their father watching proceedings.

The engine hooked up and let loose the pressure valves, venting forth a huge cloud of steam. One of the lads burst into tears and hid in his fathers arms, the other had to be hauled back as he was desperate to get in there and see what was going on.

"How does it work, daddy?!" I heard him ask excitedly ... moments later one of the chaps on the footplate had him up in the cab and he was looking at and touching anything brass and glass he could get his hands on :D

... guess which one may well end up as an engineer one day :lol:.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Umm 1 check, 2 ..iffy..2. Check....etc..
Looks like i have some learning to do :)

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Isn't there an app for all this?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a lot of guys call it 'Wife'

Ahh an app from Microsoft, costs a fortune, doesn't do what you need it to do, when you need it done and if costs you more money at the end when you don't want it anymore.

Got it! :angel:

Latest Discussions