Wing Chun entry techniques

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
This videos focus on Wing Chun entry techniques,and shows how to enter from long range to short range safely. Other concepts are covered like Misdirection, and using the long weapon against a short weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The "entering strategy" is always one of my favor subjects. Trying to use one arm to control both of your opponent's arms is a very important TCMA concept during the entering.

Here are just my comment.

- I don't like to start with a finger jab. My opponent's leg is always longer than my arm. I may run into his kick when he dodges my fingers strike.

- When I move in, I like to jam my leading leg on my opponent's leading leg to build a leg bridge. This way, I know exactly where his leg is.

Thanks for starting a good subject. If one is good at "how to enter" and also good at "how to finish", he won't need anything else from MA.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- I don't like to start with a finger jab. My opponent's leg is always longer than my arm. I may run into his kick when he dodges my fingers strike.

That is assuming there is distance to begin. A strike to the eyes can be a very effective means of entry, especially against an untrained person.

- When I move in, I like to jam my leading leg on my opponent's leading leg to build a leg bridge. This way, I know exactly where his leg is.

But would you really do that in a real fight? Jamming a leg is also preventing you entering.

Thanks for starting a good subject. If one is good at "how to enter" and also good at "how to finish", he won't need anything else from MA.
Same principle as Aikido ... "enter with irimi, hit with kokyu".

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
The "entering strategy" is always one of my favor subjects. Trying to use one arm to control both of your opponent's arms is a very important TCMA concept during the entering.

Thanks...very nice

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

I don't like to start with a finger jab. My opponent's leg is always longer than my arm. I may run into his kick when he dodges my fingers strike.
If you at the video I shoot the finger jab first then when my opponent flinches then I move in. when he flinches I can not move into his kick as there is a time delay in his actions.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is assuming there is distance to begin. A strike to the eyes can be a very effective means of entry, especially against an untrained person.
When my opponent's body leans back, he can still create the distance that he will need for his kick.

mayintu.jpg

But would you really do that in a real fight? Jamming a leg is also preventing you entering.
If I don't want to take the risk for my opponent to kick me, knee me, or sweep me, I will need to jam his leading leg.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you at the video I shoot the finger jab first then when my opponent flinches then I move in. when he flinches I can not move into his kick as there is a time delay in his actions.

I assume it depends on individual's training. For some people, the moment that he sees a punch or finger jab coming toward his face, the moment that his leg will kick out without thinking. It can be a quick natural reflection.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When my opponent's body leans back, he can still create the distance that he will need for his kick.

mayintu.jpg

If I don't want to take the risk for my opponent to kick me, knee me, or sweep me, I will need to jam his leading leg.
As I said ... untrained opponent. So with your foot jamming his leg, how to you hit him with any semblance of power.
:hmm:

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
what is the name of this kick or method? Thx.

mayintu.jpg

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I assume it depends on individual's training. For some people, the moment that he sees a punch or finger jab coming toward his face, the moment that his leg will kick out without thinking. It can be a quick natural reflection.

Yes, I understand what you mean. When I shoot the finger jab if his reaction is just a flinch then I will move in.If he throws a kick then of course I can't. What you can and can not do depends on how the other guy responds.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As I said ... untrained opponent. So with your foot jamming his leg, how to you hit him with any semblance of power.
:hmm:
Your striking power won't have anything to do with your leading leg jam your opponent's leading leg. Both of your feet are still on the ground.

what is the name of this kick or method? Thx.
CMA has a fancy name for that. It's called heart piercing kick. This kick exists in the long fist Pau Chuan #3. It's just a Karate toe push kick. Nothing special about it.

The old man 馬英圖 Ma Yin-Tu in that picture was a Baji teacher in the Nanking MA Institute. Even my teacher had learned Baji from him when my teacher was a student there (My teacher was also SC instructor there - both instructor and student).

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, I understand what you mean. When I shoot the finger jab if his reaction is just a flinch then I will move in.If he throws a kick then of course I can't. What you can and can not do depends on how the other guy responds.
I agree. You use finger jab to force your opponent to do something, anything. You can then try to take advantage on it. It's pretty much like the boxer's non-committed jab.

It's your thread. Turn it back to you now.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To OP, I's say the theory you present is sound, 'specially the part of the structured biu sau fwd to engage the attack coming in. But I disagree with the physical demonstration for the most part, specifically the stuff at the end. While it works as demo'd, a lot of the double hand trapping stuff simply does not work once the opponent is actively resisting and trying to hit you. Sparing shows this rather quickly

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. You use finger jab to force your opponent to do something, anything. You can then try to take advantage on it. It's pretty much like the boxer's non-committed jab.

It's your thread. Turn it back to you now.

right exactly...it's pretty simple

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can learn more about it at the Ministry.
JohnCleeseSillyWalk.jpg

The training for this is not that simple. You stand in front of a waist high wall. You then kick your leg out above that wall. In order to be able to do this,

- your knee has to touch your chest,
- you have to lean your body back,
- you then kick your leg above that waist high wall.

The less that you need to lean your body back, the more challenge that you will have. It does require a lot of flexibility and balance. Does it have any combat value? I believe it's just a personal challenge if you are crazy about your kicking skill and you want to push yourself to the extreme.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, no mockery intended. Just having fun.
I'm a big proponent of a solid front kick.
I simply saw the relaxed, dangling arms of the Chinese gentleman in the image and it reminded me of something.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
John Jones with the eye poke entry.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x46wcSpE-AU

Wow, this vid is a great find. I have often wondered how the game would change if the rules allowed for eye pokes.
Surprisingly, his opponents don't seem to be too affected by this...of course John is not jabbing as hard as he could. He seems to be using it to create distance and/or antagonize rather than to set up an attack.
Lesson gleaned: If you're going to use Biu Jee to lead off a rain of punches you still need to strike harder than a mere flick.