Wing Chun again... maybe

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Had a chance, between eye surgeries, to work with a gentleman who I did train with briefly before, except this time something was different, and I know some of that was my attitude, some of that is better understanding and some of that I can't quite put my finger on. It was unexpected, I just went to talk and I got a 1.5 hour lesson just for the enjoyment of it.

I was impressed and I am going back soon and see where this goes so I will likely be lurking around the Wing Chun section a little more...and likely asking annoying questions...again.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Had a chance, between eye surgeries, to work with a gentleman who I did train with briefly before, except this time something was different, and I know some of that was my attitude, some of that is better understanding and some of that I can't quite put my finger on. It was unexpected, I just went to talk and I got a 1.5 hour lesson just for the enjoyment of it.

I was impressed and I am going back soon and see where this goes so I will likely be lurking around the Wing Chun section a little more...and likely asking annoying questions...again.

You ask the best annoying questions, Xue.

I'll do my best to give my usual ignorant answers :D

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm fully qualified to be your personal Wing Chun consultant, just ask my dog!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh great...looks who's back :)

Glad you're giving the WC another go. Funny thing, the universe must be seeking balance. I ran into an old friend, we knew each other from years ago when we trained in a different CMA. He went on to train tai chi and me wing tsun.
He came by this afternoon and I started going over a little tai chi with him...might stick with it this time around.

So Xue...I might be hanging out over on the tai chi forum from time to time. Be gentle.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You ask the best annoying questions, Xue.

I'll do my best to give my usual ignorant answers :D

You say that now, but wait till I start asking why is the sky blue when I train outside :D

I'm fully qualified to be your personal Wing Chun consultant, just ask my dog!

Can't beat the recommendation... YOU'RE HIRED! :D

Oh great...looks who's back :)

Glad you're giving the WC another go. Funny thing, the universe must be seeking balance. I ran into an old friend, we knew each other from years ago when we trained in a different CMA. He went on to train tai chi and me wing tsun.
He came by this afternoon and I started going over a little tai chi with him...might stick with it this time around.

So Xue...I might be hanging out over on the tai chi forum from time to time. Be gentle.

If the universe is seeking balance through me we're all in big trouble :D

That is cool. there are a lot of similarities between Wing Chun and Taiji that a whole lot of Taiji people and a few Wing Chun do not want to admit.

As for hanging out in the Taiji section...well.... I don't know....It might not look good for my Cynical Curmudgeons status if I let that one slip by :D

But seriously, if I can help with taiji I will be more than happy to

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You say that now, but wait till I start asking why is the sky blue when I train outside :D

Actually Xue, the sky is everything but blue! And the grass is everything but green!

We only see the wavelengths of light that get reflected, and not absorbed, so actually, we only see what they are not.

Now, insert some deep philosophical meaning as to how this relates to your training here! :D

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A conversation with another Wing Chun guy may have just sent me right back to taijiquan.

It's okay. Just today, a conversation with another "Wing Chun guy" sent me right back home after a two hour drive :D

I'm thinking I should just book a flight to Hong Kong at this rate.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's okay. Just today, a conversation with another "Wing Chun guy" sent me right back home after a two hour drive :D

I'm thinking I should just book a flight to Hong Kong at this rate.

Sounds like you and Xue are talking to the wrong WC people

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you and Xue are talking to the wrong WC people

There's a surprising number of them within a 3 hour radius of my a new location. It's been a bit of a depressing search so far.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a surprising number of them within a 3 hour radius of my a new location. It's been a bit of a depressing search so far.

What part of the world are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Who have you checked into so far? Which kwoon or lineages / sifu's etc?

Well, I don't really want to derail Xue's thread, nor mention anyone by name specifically. I'm in South Mississippi now. The few that I have found within a 3 hour drive are not really qualified to teach. The closest potentially good teachers / candidates I've found are about 4 hours out. And, there are some good schools in Florida, which is where I trained previously. But, that's a bit beyond what I can do on a meaningful basis financially and physically at this point.

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, I don't really want to derail Xue's thread, nor mention anyone by name specifically. I'm in South Mississippi now. The few that I have found within a 3 hour drive are not really qualified to teach. The closest potentially good teachers / candidates I've found are about 4 hours out. And, there are some good schools in Florida, which is where I trained previously. But, that's a bit beyond what I can do on a meaningful basis financially and physically at this point.

No worries, the thread was mostly dead until I posted.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are two very good students of mine in the South; Stephen Morton- a former Marine teaches school near Tampa, Florida.
Josh Santobianco a Ranger and 2nd lieutenant among other things is currently in Ft Bragg. Both of them have worked with my sifu-
Augustime Fong in Arizona. Both of them are experienced good wing chun people- know and understand concepts and know
how to apply them

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are two very good students of mine in the South; Stephen Morton- a former Marine teaches school near Tampa, Florida.
Josh Santobianco a Ranger and 2nd lieutenant among other things is currently in Ft Bragg. Both of them have worked with my sifu-
Augustime Fong in Arizona. Both of them are experienced good wing chun people- know and understand concepts and know
how to apply them

Fort Bragg appears to be in NC?

I'm afraid both of those locations are very very far from me.

There is an Augustine Fong guy about 4 hours North of me, though.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fort Bragg appears to be in NC?

I'm afraid both of those locations are very very far from me.

There is an Augustine Fong guy about 4 hours North of me, though.
------------------------------

Who would that be?

Latest Discussions