Windows "Longhorn" details released

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
http://news.com.com/An+early+peek+at+Longhorn/2100-1016_3-5671586.html?tag=nefd.lede

Gives a preview of some of the features the next version of Windows will have. To get a hands on preview of the "new" features you can try out a Mac or Linux system...
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:rolleyes:

512M of RAM?! Good gravy! I have a gig of Ram in my home machine so my stuff will run better, not so the OPERATING SYSTEM will run. Plus, they say that and in the same breath about how they're making improvments for laptops?? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Guess it's time to get World of Warcraft running on Cedega so I can fully switch to Linux. Someone send me those Ubuntu CD's!! :D

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
Guess it's time to get World of Warcraft running on Cedega so I can fully switch to Linux.
Games are probably the last hurdle to jump for a lot of people. Too bad for Microsoft someone released that X-Box thingy and more and more people are moving to consoles for gaming... ;)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i've been sitting quite happy with 256 MB for quite a while now...almost 3 years. Also, one of the major features of Longhorn was supposed to be their improved file searching...which was discontinued.

Because of my situation I need Windows and Linux...so I run a dual-boot, but my uncle may be getting me an old laptop from his company, which will exclusively run linux

A

AnimEdge

Blah nothing too impresive, i dont think i have ever used a file search of my Windows and i have like 2gigs of ram so the ram isnt a problem, i dontt hink i would jump out and buy it when it cames out but the next time i make a new machine im sure i will get it, depends on how well it runs 64bit i guess, i remeberhearing it was going to be more like the XP Media Center than XP so im not to happy about that

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given the way SP2 has been handled MS might make it rather difficult on those that don't upgrade.

SP2 has a tendency of "breaking" things, so a lot of sys admin are not installing it... MS doesn't like this and has been doing the "If you don't do what we say, we're not going to support the software you bought from us..."

Which right there is the difference, cause in there eyes you don't own the software you paid for, they do. You pay a licencing fee for permission to use it. So... if they want to change it they feel they have that right, after all, they own it, not you. I'd rather own my OS and have control over it, not have a monopoly corporation running my computer remotely...

Windows is a broken system, and to fix it will mean lots of reworking from the ground up, which means lots of stuff will get broken. That they are trying to fix this is good, but that they are forcing the fix on people at the expense of other vital software is very very bad.

Latest Discussions