Willem DeThouars has come to his senses

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Board,

I have often wondered and asked why Willem DeThouars gave rank to some of the people he did?

I have gotten into many heated debates over the net with individuals from his camp and I don't think I am very liked by most of them and I don't really care because I believe I was right.

Well he has come to his senses now and here is what he has to say about the Ranking he gave out in his system.

OH, don't forget to read the list and see Who's not on it anymore because they will be the wall paper collectors that he mentions and if your instructor was on there and is now removed you know why!

I am glad he finally told the story and cleaned house but it doesn't change the fact that someone received a Rank Certificate that did not deserve one and now that person can post said certificate on their website & school and unsuspecting students who don't know any better will believe the Paper Wall!

Sincerely,
Teacher: Eddie Ivester

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Well he has come to his senses now and here is what he has to say about the Ranking he gave out in his system.

OH, don't forget to read the list and see Who's not on it anymore because they will be the wall paper collectors that he mentions and if your instructor was on there and is now removed you know why!

Those of you that are interested in Uncle Bill's opinion on things may want to cut&paste this & save it. Things come and go, such as his "Truth" letter about Paul & Rudy (Terlinden) and the "real" origins of Bukti Negara (being Kung Fu San Soo blended with Silat Serak).

I am glad that he's giving credit to Chas Clements. I don't know that Chas would care at this time, last time I talked to him, he had pretty much washed his hands of the whole lot of them (deThouars & Steve) and with his health problems wasn't training much if at all anymore.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd say "come to his senses" is a bit of an overstatement. There's still a fair number of people written out of history.

Same ****. Different day.

You just have to shake your head and not take anything they say too seriously.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say "come to his senses" is a bit of an overstatement. There's still a fair number of people written out of history.

Same ****. Different day.

You just have to shake your head and not take anything they say too seriously.

Way to much politic's for my liking. Funny thing is once someone has the skills they can and usually do what they want whether you write them out or not or reinvent history.
icon6.gif

I see people on the list who probably should not be there and people who should be on the list skill wise who are not there. It is in the end all a matter of interpretation!!! Ahhh the beauty of deconstructionism!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I've had about a metric butt-load of it land on me over the years. We may not be quite as bad as the WC/WT/VT/VC crowd the same way that cancer isn't quite as bad as ebola. It makes Guru Plinck's decision to move as far away from it all as he could without falling off the continent seem wiser every day.

Tiel and I have said for years "Indonesian brain rot strikes four out of five. Please give generously."

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
And I've had about a metric butt-load of it land on me over the years. We may not be quite as bad as the WC/WT/VT/VC crowd the same way that cancer isn't quite as bad as ebola. It makes Guru Plinck's decision to move as far away from it all as he could without falling off the continent seem wiser every day.

Tiel and I have said for years "Indonesian brain rot strikes four out of five. Please give generously."

Hahahah!!! That's great. I've heard it before, but it's still funny.

Yeah, Guru Plinck definitely has the goods, and made a good choice in heading North. Cliff Stewart may still live in SoCal, but at least he's out of town enough to keep his head clear!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
We came up withe "brain rot" quote, gawds, about fifteen years ago. Willem and Victor and most of their senior students and a couple prominent PNW martial artists and about half a dozen guys I had never even heard of decided that someone - maybe the local JKD teacher, maybe Guru Brandt, maybe another local eskrimador, maybe someone else, but certainly me and my wife - had to pay for imagined slights and disrespect because someone had said something in a class that I hadn't even been in. And it had gotten back to Victor fourth or fifth hand. And I was one of Brandt's students at the time. And...

You get the idea.

The plan was that I would pay out about a thousand dollars to various and sundry to be "allowed back into our Brotherhood" and make a tour of three or four schools where I would present myself to be beaten up by anyone who felt I had offended him.

The only choices were to tell them all to perform an infamous but physically unlikely quasi-reproductive act or to find some way of laughing at it. And I didn't want to cause Brandt any more grief than he had already gotten.

In the immortal words of the Great Sages of my People "Oy vey, what meshugas."

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From what I've seen firsthand, if you piss off certain members of the DeThouars bros, you end up getting booted out and your previous experience, training certifications etc. is considered null and void. I've studied under Pak Vic for quite awhile now, and as much as I respect, love and hold the highest regard for what he knows and what I've learned from him, I see the old school visions of respect held to this day. If Pak Vic sees, or considers any act of disrespect happening on your part, your toast. In some ways it's a shame because I've seen Pak Vic expell some extremely excellent practitioners from his org for what some might consider less than disrespectful behavior. It's his organization, he runs it as he sees, he's earned that right and thats the bottom line. If you do decide to train with a DeThouars, watch your P's & Q's, and always maintain the highest standards of old school recpect.

Franco

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very nicely put.

I would never, ever want individual practitioners to bear anyone's sins or faults except their own. Despite my personal bad experiences with some practitioners within the Silat and Kuntao world I have nothing but respect for the arts, the knowledge of the teachers and anyone who hasn't personally screwed me over. That covers the vast majority of people in the clan. It's just that when people you don't know call you up to make threats to your personal well-being, especially ones who recently enjoyed your hospitality, well, they get taken off the Christmas card list :(

OP
silat

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm glad to see this thread taking off!

Yea I know a lot of the DeThouars politics and rewriting of history and of course the taking back of rank & certifications that has gone on for years.

That is why I think Grandpa Bill's cleaning house thing is to late.

I was questioning one specific individuals rank & certification, which many of his students also questioned and told me they had no idea how it happened. Well I found out how after some extensive research and the how was $$$$$$!

Well now he's no longer on the list but he is a good BS artist and with all the crap that has gone on for years he can just say I was taking off the list because of politics like so and so was and not because I didn't deserve the rank.

Well, there will be those people who know the truth behind the person being omitted but it just makes it easier for the omitted to cast doubt when the person your arguing against has a house of fallen cards, not once but several times especially when they're the head of the house and the reason for the fallen cards.

In the end the person will thrive because the certificate was giving and will be seen by potential students that have no idea what happened or why and so unless Grandpa Bill goes and physically takes it back the individual will always have it to show.

Sincerely,

OP
silat

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyone heard about Steve and his run-ins with the law lately? I've just hope that his kids are okay.

I don't know anything new about the FBI but I was told he washed his hands of all the DeThouars in 2005.

Sincerely,

Q-Man

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know anything new about the FBI but I was told he washed his hands of all the DeThouars in 2005.

I dont understand. Isnt he on that website you posted a link to? Is he back with him now?

OP
silat

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand. Isnt he on that website you posted a link to? Is he back with him now?

Q-Man

No he is not!

He continues to support the de Thouars teaching efforts and acknowledges where his training came from.

Sincerely,

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Q-Man

No he is not!

He continues to support the de Thouars teaching efforts and acknowledges where his training came from.

Sincerely,

Uncle Bill mentioned him at least twice. Seems strange that he would publicly distance himself and still Uncle Bill would have great things to say about him (& Chas).

OP
silat

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
willemdethouars.com is owned by Steve Gartin, not Uncle Bill.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=willemdethouars.com
Domain: WILLEMDETHOUARS.COM
Registration provider: Lowest Domain Rates

Registrant
Steve Gartin
ThunderRock
[email protected]
1103 N. Kentucky
Roswell, NM 88201 US
+1.5053451959
(FAX)

Yea, I knew that wasn't his website.

Also there are 3 or 4 websites that look like they could be Grandpa Bill's Official site but according to Trent none of them are and he doesn't have an official website of his own currently.

I do think it's weird that at least 3 websites promotes him, his art and his videos but aren't his and to my understanding he doesn't even authorize them.

It just makes you go hmmmm!

Sincerely,

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
Uncle does not currently have a website of his own. If he does decide to have one himself, or authorize one through someone else, I'll certainly let everyone interested know here. I'm sure some of his other students lurk here and will corroborate. It's not a big secret or anything of that nature. Uncle simply doesn't have the time or inclination at the present to publish a website.

I'm not attempting to speak for Uncle or anything remotely like that, just clear up any potential problems which may arise from misunderstandings and pass along commonly known information among Uncle's practitioners.

Latest Discussions