Why should I submit to MT Mag?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thread on another forum got me thinking.

Why should you submit to MT Mag?

Couple of reasons.

1: Its intent is to reach beyond the board. (Hense profiling other good places to visit)

2: Submissions are non-exclusive. (You can submit them elsewhere if you wish. You retain ownership and copyright.)

3: Its a good way for someone to add to their writers resume and establish credibility. (Some places won't talk to you unless you've already got some experience. Self-publishing on a website doesn't count.)

4: While at the moment it is unpaid, once it is profitable, plans are already writen to compensate for articles. (At the moment, you get a discount on advertising if you submit.)

5: Its an alternative to magazines such as BlackBelt and IKF. (Many folks have indicated dissatisfaction with the mainstreme publications, so I decided to offer an alternative)

6: Because y'all know more on certain arts than me, and you're perspectives are important.

7: Its another way to support the site. Cash is tight all around, but everyone has some insite into the arts that they can share. By submitting something, you help improve the quality and diversity of the magazine, which in turn helps support MT as a whole.

The direction, attitude, etc. is different than the corporate mags. We're willing to give most folks a shot to hone their skills. The 'big boys' usualyl don't want you unless you've got a few under you, or fit certain criteria. We're also planning on a very light touch to adverts. Over 40% of the 'big boys' are ads. We're planning on a lighter approach. This does 2 things: a- Your ad stands out more and b- more content rather than ad pages to skip through.

Is there financial or some other kind of compensation? I know he loses money on this whole MT venture but presumeably at some point he'll start to make money. What then?

As to the cash, yeah, MT's operated at a loss. My goal is to break even. If I can make a few bucks, thats great. I'd most likely put it right back into the site adding in more goodies. If the magazine turns a profit, that money will be farmed back into improving the magazine. Once the e-zine hits target # of subscriptions, a paper version will be added (additional cost due to printing fees).

The bigest complaint I see is "its too FMA". My responce is, "the content is determined by the submissions. Want to see something different? Submit." I can't offer anything beyond a byline and my thanks at the moment. With continued support, that will change.

Hey, all I can do is ask. You can write or you can say 'no thanks'. Either way, we're here to stay. :)

For a preview of the Aug issue:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?&threadid=9334

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Weve had a great responce for the September issue so far. Definately looking for more too.

:D