Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who gives to charity?
John Stossel
Townhall.com

Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Excerpt:
Americans are pretty generous. Three-quarters of American families give to charity -- and those who do, give an average of $1,800. Of course that means one-quarter of us don't give at all. What distinguishes those who give from those who don't? It turns out there are many myths about that.
To test them, ABC's "20/20" went to Sioux Falls, S.D., and San Francisco. We asked the Salvation Army to set up buckets at their busiest locations in both cities. Which bucket would get more money? I'll get to that in a minute.
San Francisco and Sioux Falls are different in some important ways. Sioux Falls is small and rural, and more than half the people go to church every week.
San Francisco is a much bigger and richer city, and relatively few people attend church. It is also known as a very liberal place, and since liberals are said to "care more" about the poor, you might assume people in San Francisco would give a lot.
But the idea that liberals give more is a myth. Of the top 25 states where people give an above-average percentage of their income, all but one (Maryland) were red -- conservative -- states in the last presidential election.
"When you look at the data," says Syracuse University professor Arthur Brooks, "it turns out the conservatives give about 30 percent more. And incidentally, conservative-headed families make slightly less money."
Researching his book, "Who Really Cares", Brooks found that the conservative/liberal difference goes beyond money:
"The people who give one thing tend to be the people who give everything in America. You find that people who believe it's the government's job to make incomes more equal, are far less likely to give their money away."
Conservatives are even 18 percent more likely to donate blood.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stossel, who I think looks like Geraldo, is NOT a conservative. He is a libertarian.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting.

So do those who earn less give more because they know what it's like to do it hard and thus want to help more?

Or is it that those who have more give in different way? Say by writing a cheque out instead of putting loose coins in a bucket?

All i can say is give to those who you believe can change the world for someone.......

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting.

So do those who earn less give more because they know what it's like to do it hard and thus want to help more?
I think that is probably exactly it. Those farther from a problem generally have a harder time understanding it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My experience is that generosity crosses party lines quite well. In asking for donations for the local women's shelter a couple of years ago, my daughter and I encountered the affluent neighborhood (who exhibited their right-wing party status proudly with election signs for republicans running for local offices) who couldn't come up with a spare package of toilet paper, unopened toothpaste or other unused personal care items because they were *strapped*.

Yet the owners of unmowed yards littered with children's toys in need of repair displaying liberal loyalty raided their cabinets for anything they could give even though they just lost their jobs.

If you've been there, you know what it's like and you'll give more.

A former friend of mine - a self-proclaimed "Dittohead" at that - would constantly chide me thusly; "Why should I give my hard-earned money to someone who isn't working? I got my stuff by working. If they want what they need then they need to get a job."

Slant, slant, slant. It doesn't reveal the truth ... it just makes the BS roll more. ;)

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I donate quite alot. I find giving to charities are not always what they seem. Like the Red cross http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Red_Cross#Blood_Donation_Controversy

United way
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Way_of_America dipping into its own funds.

I recall one such thing called Homeless voice collecting money right next to a homeless guy asking for money. The Homeless voice guy with his fresh new " I care for homeless" and homless newsletter. It makes me wonder how much really goes to help others and how much goes to market yourself and profit off the people you say you help.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
This isn't really true. Republicans are Conservative, yes. Democrats are moderate. Look at there actions, they are one of change (recently), they are ones of trying to work with everyone.
Also, there is more then one way to give aid to those less fornunate then yourself. Give money to the Salvation Army, give food/clothes to the salvation army/red cross, donate blood, write a check, give money straight to the homeless, donate time to such organizatoins, so on and so forth.

But, what do I know, I've just given blood as often as allowed, and give as much money and food/clothes as I can.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isn't a simple matter of one side being more inclined to give than the other. One factor in charitable giving is the mindset of when and how to give. "Liberals," as the leftists in this country tend to be called, are more likely to support government collection and redistribution of funds for the less fortunate, which tends to lead to an "I gave at the office" mindset in terms of personal giving. Whereas those who are opposed to such policies tend to do more personal giving, which, they feel, gives them more control of where and how that money is used. Some people think charitable giving is a personal matter, some think it's a responsibility that every citizen should be forced to bear. I don't think one side has a monopoly of concern for their fellows, just a difference of opinion on how to go about it.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elder, I can understand your riposte completely but I just wanted to remind posters that discussing Neg Rep in-thread is discouraged.

If someone has given Negative Rep, even annonymously, that offends you or you think is unfair then please report it to the Moderating Team.

I know it's hard to resist 'shooting back' and I've fallen foul of doing that myself before now but reporting it has more chance of getting something effective done (altho' it might not make you feel as good as letting loose with both barrels :D).

------------------------------

My own opinions on charity don't really apply here because I'm English and my tax burden would make you faint. That tax burden is so high because it should prevent the need for charities; it was one of the reasons for the formation of the Welfare State as we crawled away from depending on charities to distribute some wealth to assisting the least well off.

Still, I give to charities that I think deserve it, rather than on a 'guilt' reflex. Also, if the giving will prevent something going to waste then it would be churlish to withhold it just on principle.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
My own opinions on charity don't really apply here because I'm English and my tax burden would make you faint. That tax burden is so high because it should prevent the need for charities; it was one of the reasons for the formation of the Welfare State as we crawled away from depending on charities to distribute some wealth to assisting the least well off.

Still, I give to charities that I think deserve it, rather than on a 'guilt' reflex. Also, if the giving will prevent something going to waste then it would be churlish to withhold it just on principle.

I understood it that in Britian (and almost all Welfare States) that taxes on the lower class were almost non-existant (like some really small percent of there income), the middle class a larger (but still small) percent, and that only the upper class had a some what high tax burden. Was I misinformed, confusing Britian with some other country, or are you rich?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not mis-informed as such, Cuong but missing somewhat in the way of details.

I wont go into a long dissertation on the whole tax system (I'm a qualified economist so I could bore you to death with it :D) just a few highlights.

The minimum income tax rate nowadays is 20%, with 17.5% indirect taxation that accrues on almost everything you buy (and everything is about 200% more expensive than in America to start with and we earn about half as much for an equivalent job).

Then you have National Insurance contributions which are roughly between £100 - £800 per week, depending on earnings. Then you have your pension to consider, as the State Pension won't be worth tuppence by the time I retire. That obviously is not easily quantifiable as it's such a variable field.

It soon racks up such that you're looking at 35-40% income tax with that further 17.5 VAT eating away at whats left and then the various other little taxes and surcharges to chomp off 5-10% more.

I have a pretty highly qualified job but I am far from rich and without my missus working too we couldn't afford the mortgage - I earn about 2/3 of what the striking petrol tanker drivers are taking now and they want 25% more :eek:.

Top tip, don't be an engineer in England (which is why most people I have to deal with these days hardly speak the language ... but that's a rant for another day).

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not mis-informed as such, Cuong but missing somewhat in the way of details.

Silly kid, you were only thinking of income taxes!!! How stupid of you to forget every other form of taxation!!

Anyways...

You said that in the UK everything costs twice as much for half the income, is that before or after all the taxes

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I never used PPP in all the years I studied - you're lucky I remember reading about it at all :D.

I have to bow out on this as I have to have dinner before some friends arrive but given that you have a background in the subject I'm sure the Net can give you the detailed answers you seek. Start by Googling "Rip-off Britain" :lol:.

Alternatively, for another indigenous point of view, ask Tez.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I never used PPP in all the years I studied - you're lucky I remember reading about it at all :D.

I realized I goofed when I said PPP, I meant your taxes. I even edited.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Elder, I can understand your riposte completely but I just wanted to remind posters that discussing Neg Rep in-thread is discouraged.

If someone has given Negative Rep, even annonymously, that offends you or you think is unfair then please report it to the Moderating Team.

I know it's hard to resist 'shooting back' and I've fallen foul of doing that myself before now but reporting it has more chance of getting something effective done (altho' it might not make you feel as good as letting loose with both barrels :D).

It's not even "shooting back," since I can't see the target:lol:-it's more the damnable non sequitur nature of the thing: even if I do "whine, complain, and decry" anything(?) Republicans do elsewhere, what's it got to do with what I said???

Anyway-it's hardly unfair or offensive, just silly-and I won't break that particular rule again....in the meantime, giving A LOT to charity in various forms is something of a family tradition. I don't care if anyone else gives or not, or what their reasons are: charitable giving should be a private matter, for the most part...just my opinioin, and what the heck do I know?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"There are eight degrees in the giving of charity, one higher than the other.
He who gives grudgingly, reluctantly or with regret.
He who gives less than he should but gives graciously.
He who gives what he should but only after he is asked.
He who gives before he is asked.
He who gives without knowing to whom he gives although the recipient knows the identity of the donor.
He who gives without making his identity known.
He who gives without knowing to whom he gives and the recipient not knowing from who he receives.
He who helps a fellowman to support himself by a gift or a loan or by finding employment for him thus helping him to become self supporting."

MAIMONIDES

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
"There are eight degrees in the giving of charity, one higher than the other.
He who gives grudgingly, reluctantly or with regret.
He who gives less than he should but gives graciously.
He who gives what he should but only after he is asked.
He who gives before he is asked.
He who gives without knowing to whom he gives although the recipient knows the identity of the donor.
He who gives without making his identity known.
He who gives without knowing to whom he gives and the recipient not knowing from who he receives.
He who helps a fellowman to support himself by a gift or a loan or by finding employment for him thus helping him to become self supporting."

MAIMONIDES

I've never heard of Maimonides. Is that an individual, or a book, or what?