White vs. White racism in the U.K.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While the kid should have listened to the security guards, and stopped trying to stir up trouble, the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-making-honky-jibe-WHITE-security-guards.html

A white man has been prosecuted for racially abusing three white security guards.
Jonathan Wicks was taken to court for calling the men 'honky wannabe cops'.
Wicks, 20, has had to attend court at least five times, at an estimated cost to the taxpayer of more than £5,000.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now this seems so wrong in my book. Does the courts have nothing better to do.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well thats only his side of the story written in a newspaper that hates the government. he's been charged with abusive and threatening behavior which is a serious charge ( note the 'threatening' part of the charge) so there's more to this story than meets the eye. why he had to go to court five times I have no idea but it's very unusual. He's on bail which indicates he's been charged with something serious if it were for just shouting names at someone it would be magistrates court and a fine.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tez, I know that the UK has much stricter rules about what can and can't be discussed before trial. Would an article like this violate your laws or has the time frame for keeping "mum" passed?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez, I know that the UK has much stricter rules about what can and can't be discussed before trial. Would an article like this violate your laws or has the time frame for keeping "mum" passed?

He hasn't gone to court yet to be tried so it can't be discussed by the official side which is why you have this onesided account. Once he has been tried and there's a veridict it's open season and we'll know what was said in court.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Er? No idea what you mean mate.
I was thinking of this to be specific:

Ali G's a variant persona for the dude who plays Borat. He's almost as annoying as the kid in the story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While the kid should have listened to the security guards, and stopped trying to stir up trouble, the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-making-honky-jibe-WHITE-security-guards.html

I worked security / bouncer in the late 80's when the state I was in passed a new law. The law was to make all assaults with racial slurs an automatic felony. Given the ethnic population of African Americans and Hispanics as well as Arab, there were lots of terms being used be everyone.

The problem is that the law was passed to stop the assaults on the minorities, but the minorities were the ones using most of the insulting slang terms. I had an altercation with multiple opponents and when I brought it to the attention of the Police who responded that they called me "Honky" and "Red Neck" etcetera the police were surprised that I even mentioned this. Then I referenced the new law. It was nice that the African American Officer smiled and turned and asked the opponents of mine if they said it. Of course they acknowledged it and laughed about it. The officer arrested them and I asked to press charges. Discrimination is discrimination. Insults are insults.

I know there is a difference between "er" and "ah" and that "ah" is sometimes a term of friendship or acknowledgement, but I still think it propagates discrimination and insults and tensions amongst people.

Now as to the punishment, I am not sure it fit the "crime" but some form of punishment would have been good in my mind versus none.

Latest Discussions