While Im not a "Tree Hugger". This is really cool.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Imagine that. :D

I like the idea... but then I'm the kinda guy who'd love to live in a log cabin someday. Go figure. :shrug:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're pretty cool-I know someone who owns one-but they require a little bit of consientious engineering, or they can have serious, unforseen and difficult to correct problems....

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
They're pretty cool-I know someone who owns one-but they require a little bit of consientious engineering, or they can have serious, unforseen and difficult to correct problems....

I was thinking the same thing...its not like a "regular home". I was wondering what the "net gain" is regarding being off the grid but having battery banks, filters, probably septic chemistry and so on to monitor and replace. Packed earth tires and bottle and can walls are probably not thoroughly tested architecturely speaking. I was wondering about shifting, settling and wall cracks. Ive read that in cold weather climates there is a problem with heat escape into the ground.

But these are all things that im pretty sure would be worked out in time. the idea is solid. Its the first generation owners who are going to run the risk of being the guniea pigs.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like away for us to get out of all those bad mortgage loans.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing...its not like a "regular home". I was wondering what the "net gain" is regarding being off the grid but having battery banks, filters, probably septic chemistry and so on to monitor and replace. Packed earth tires and bottle and can walls are probably not thoroughly tested architecturally speaking. I was wondering about shifting, settling and wall cracks. Ive read that in cold weather climates there is a problem with heat escape into the ground.

But these are all things that im pretty sure would be worked out in time. the idea is solid. Its the first generation owners who are going to run the risk of being the guniea pigs.
I've a friend who is "off the grid"... totally hydro-electrically powered home with his water from a filtered well and his internet is via satellite so if he wanted to he could shut off that and disappear... so he says.
But then again he's WAY up in the colorado mountains... above 9K feet... sooo he gets snowed in each winter.