which one?

H

Hanzo04

Kenpo or wing chun? both are very good in-fighting systems and are very fast with the hands. they also claim to be tops for street self-defense. what do you guys think?

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hanzo04,

I don't think you're going to find an unbiased opinion on this particular section of Martial Talk. Especially since it's the Kenpo board. I prefer Kenpo and think it is a better, more complete system of self-defense than most other martial arts out there, but then again I'm a Kenpo practitioner... Not a Wing Chun stylist.

:asian:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've studied Wing Chun for a while, and actually had the privilege, no make that honor :asian: of practicing/learning from Grandmaster Ip Ching during a seminar some years ago.
I've a close friend who is a practicing kenpoist and practised with them to help them test for their belt(s).
I've found both, like many other arts to have good street-fighting skills.
The point is that the Martial Art (which-ever one you choose), is only as good as the weilder. Much like a high-end sports car performs only as good as the one behind the wheel. The same apple bitten by two different people is going to taste differently.
How well you use the art will determine the effectiveness that you seek. IMO one art will have as many varied results in a "street-fight" as another. Remember, YOU determine the outcome no matter which art you use.
:asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:jediduel: I would have to agree with MACaver, the Art is only as good as the student.. Everybody I know loves Baseball but only a hand full can get the max out of the sport..The same with Martial Arts The popularity is growing and as we instruct those that come in to the Dojaang we know from the heart that everybody gives 110% or they would not be there. I've seen people that was proficent in one Art have a hard time understanding the concept from another,it's what ever makes you feel good about yourself, gives you the confidence that you need to further your life, makes you complete...God Bless America

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others here....its up to you to decide. Personally, I'd go with the Kenpo, and I'm not saying that because I train in it, I'm saying it because I think its a little more well rounded.

Check out both and see which one addresses what you're looking for!!

Good luck!

Mike

OP
R

RHD

Hanzo04 said:
Kenpo or wing chun? both are very good in-fighting systems and are very fast with the hands. they also claim to be tops for street self-defense. what do you guys think?

When did kenpo get the reputation for be a very good in-fighting system?

Mike

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
What's your opinion? I don't have one, I've never trained Kenpo, and my only exposure to Wing Chun is about a year's worth of RJKD, which I would imagine doesn't amount to much if you asked a Wing Chunner.

OP
F

FasterthanDeath

From a man who practices them both. Kenpo is more rounded. Wing Chun does teach good in-fighting and contact reflexes. The best infact. You will now where you are open and what the next possible place they will hit you will be from the contact. But kenpo is systematically broke down and very effective. I would say if you are going to study one, kenpo if not do both.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
RHD said:
When did kenpo get the reputation for be a very good in-fighting system?

Mike

All of the pinning and checking in Kenpo must be there for a reason. :)

Mike

OP
R

RHD

MJS said:
All of the pinning and checking in Kenpo must be there for a reason. :)

Mike

I was just curious because I have never heard much about Kenpo's in-fighting. Nor have I seen it in my many years of exposure to Kenpo. Granted, there is a bit more hand work in the self defense techniques taught, but in sparring...and I spar often with Kenpo people...it hasn't been very well represented.

Wing Chun has (at close range).

Now I realize that this is a Kenpo dominated board, and my words may be blasphemy to some, but while I've observed that Kenpo is quite effective at long to medium range, its close range game is not as good.

Mike

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RHD said:
I was just curious because I have never heard much about Kenpo's in-fighting. Nor have I seen it in my many years of exposure to Kenpo. Granted, there is a bit more hand work in the self defense techniques taught, but in sparring...and I spar often with Kenpo people...it hasn't been very well represented.
Mike

What belt level do you spar/practice with. I currently practice with a green belt and I can tell you that Kenpo does have in fighting techniques. At least it does from this non-kenpoist view.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I haven't trained in Wing Chun - only took a seminar, and it's been years since my days in Sam Pai Kenpo - but W.C. seems to be softer, more circular, more about redirecting flow, where Kenpo seems to be more striking, devastating.

I think they both have much to offer...good cross-training opportunities, perhaps?? Anyone?

OP
R

RHD

MACaver said:
What belt level do you spar/practice with. I currently practice with a green belt and I can tell you that Kenpo does have in fighting techniques. At least it does from this non-kenpoist view.

? Who knows. They rarely wear thier belts. Some have been there a long time, others haven't. In your case I would have to ask the infinate question "Is it the style, or the individual?". I'm not ripping on Kenpo. Some of my best friends are Kenpo guys. I'm just making an observation from my experience.

Mike

OP
R

RCastillo

jfarnsworth said:
Find a GOOD kenpo instructor and you won't go wrong. :asian:

Thanks for the endorsement! :asian: :)