Where were the old schools located?

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There's a chance I may end up passing through Dayton later this week, and I was wondering if anyone here remembers the address to the old Dayton Bujinkan Dojo that Steve ran back in the late 70's/early 80's? It was in the basement of a small strip mall/shopping center or something of that sort. Had an ice cream parlor around the corner out back, and a Pizza Hut across from it down the street.

I remember a Red Horse Motel being not too far down the road, near the GM plant.

Also, where were the Shadows of Iga Ninja Festivals held in the early 80's? It was a camp ground, though I can't recall the name of it.

I figured if I end up in town, I might as well visit some of the old training sites.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, memory fades with time. Shadows of Iga (I was there then) had a news letter, but I've lost them. It changed to "Musubi", when SKH formed "Nine Gates Institute" and I've a few but the invitations always say "we will send instructions" when they get your money. You're right on about the vague rememberances for location but beyond that I'm stumped. Yes there was a barn and I believe the location town stated with a "k". Sorry I can't be of more help.

savagek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Camp Campbell Gard on the Miami river in Hamilton Ohio

Regaurds

Ken

TonyDismukes

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here remembers the address to the old Dayton Bujinkan Dojo that Steve ran back in the late 70's/early 80's? It was in the basement of a small strip mall/shopping center or something of that sort. Had an ice cream parlor around the corner out back, and a Pizza Hut across from it down the street.

You're thinking of the Hills & Dales shopping center at the corner of Dorothy Lane and South Dixie. It's long since been torn down and replaced by new construction.

After Steve handed the reins of the Dayton dojo over to some of his senior students he built the dojo in Germantown, which was used for seminars and invitation-only students.

OP
Highland Ninja

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Tony, and thanks! Yes, I remember the Hills and Dales shopping center now! I found an archived satellite shot of it from the 70's or so. Last time I was in Dayton it did look like all newer construction there.

I remember being at Steve's other dojo in Germantown, the one that was like a huge barn. Can't remember what streets it was on though. Any idea?

TonyDismukes

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't remember the street address of the Germantown dojo - it's been too many years.

Latest Discussions