Where is lapsau in the forms

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi fellow chunners...

Where is the lap-sau movement in the forms?
I've tried to figure this out for a couple of days and I simply can't find it anywhere...

A little help please :)

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi fellow chunners...

I've tried to figure this out for a couple of days and I simply can't find it anywhere...

----------------------------------------------------------------
The principle is there in the sil lim tao- in the section where you do the jam sao...you encounter it again towards the end of chum kiu- after you do a gum sao and then do an inside whipping punch. It is there again in one of the sections of the dummy form.

joy chaudhuri

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi fellow chunners...

It is also in the beginning of every empty handed form you do. After to define your centerline (crossing hands down then up), when you pull your hands back to chamber (your side), it should be done with speed and elbow pulling power. That is a lap sau.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Seemed like it to me too Zep, we usually pull qwan sau out of there though, didn't want to over extend my "technique per section limit" though.

OP
I

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It is also in the beginning of every empty handed form you do. After to define your centerline (crossing hands down then up), when you pull your hands back to chamber (your side), it should be done with speed and elbow pulling power. That is a lap sau.

Interesting... I can see what you mean.. I've always thought of that as double gan-sau... But maybe it's both?

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting... I can see what you mean.. I've always thought of that as double gan-sau... But maybe it's both?

Yes, the hands down are considered crossing gan sau's and the hands going up are crossing tan sau's. The motion from down to up (or vice versa) is defining your centerline and then when you retract both hand to your side, it is lap sau. The crossing of the hands/arms up is sometimes called sup sau because it looks like the chinese character number 10.

OP
I

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the hands down are considered crossing gan sau's and the hands going up are crossing tan sau's. The motion from down to up (or vice versa) is defining your centerline and then when you retract both hand to your side, it is lap sau. The crossing of the hands/arms up is sometimes called sup sau because it looks like the chinese character number 10.

That motion is also kwan-sau, isn't it?

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The kwan sau is in turning from tan to gan on your way back up.
The lop sau is in the retreat of the hands, hold your hands out in double tan and retract them normally. now put your hands in the double tan and have one do a lop sau. pretty similar elbow energy.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score

Funny, i learned it that way in some tiger style once a long time ago, but never saw it that way in Yip Man WC. Guess my brain just didn't want to connect those dots :)

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
That motion is also kwan-sau, isn't it?

No. Kwan sau (quan sau) is a combination one hand tan sau one hand bong sau simultaneously. The hands are projected forward to open or regain elbow position (space) between your arms and chest. Totally different movement.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
in our lineage qwan sau is the motion going from bong, to get you back into a low elbow before a strike would be launched.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
in our lineage qwan sau is the motion going from bong, to get you back into a low elbow before a strike would be launched.

Nabakatsu, we call the motion from bong sau to bring the elbow down chum sau (sinking elbow). I'm not sure what term you're using (qwan), never seen it before. The kwan sau I listed is also spelled quan sau in some Wing Chun circles. Anyway, here's WingChunPedia's definition of kwan sau:

Kwan Sau - Rolling hands block; Usually Tan and Bong combo, that is connected to the use of Po Pai Jeung. The Kwan Sau is related to the Silver Scissor hands from White Crane, in structure and use. The actual energy rolls the hands. This action is hidden in the transition from the Har Lo Cha Jee Sau transition to Chung Lo Cha Jee Sau (Lower X Gan Block rolling up to Middle Gate X Gan Block); Also called Ng Fa Sau or Tieing Flowers Hand

Also, kwan can be used for the the pole:

Gwan/Kwan - Pole

I couldn't find anything on qwan sau.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the LT lineages we don't bring the arms straight up to crossed tan from crossed gaun at the beginning of the 3 hand sets. The left hand circles in behind the right as the right circles in front of the left coming back up to crossed tan. We refer to that motion as kwan sau. It's hard to express in words, or at least it is for my little pea brain, but check out any of the forms on you tube and you should see what I mean.

Latest Discussions