When is it time to take a break...

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When is it worth taking a look at the possiblity of life without the martial arts? What are some of the possible negative effects training can have on your outlook? I've decided that I'm far too misguided at the moment to consider training further as I'm taking myself in a direction I no longer want to go and only reenforcing bad mental habits. I think it's important to step back sometimes and try to look at a bigger picture, like a map, and draw yourself some directions. Right now, I think, I'm far off course. It's not that I have a problem with it, it's that I have a problem with myself. How about you? Has situational turmoil ever had you considering or questioning your involvement in the martial arts? If so, did you take a break? Was it good or bad for you? What are some of the reasons why it might be better to discontinue, at least, for a short time, to get your head on straight? What are some overwhelming reasons to stay despite whatever trouble you may be having? Thanks everyone!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only times I willingly stopped training was due to injury or the fact that I couldn't afford it..I look forward to training..No matter how much crap I had to endure..I knew the training days were not far off and that gave me the drive to push through the BS...

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a thaiboxer i know my days are numbered i cant see myself being able to put my body through the stuff i do now at 60......but then I get to do some thing better....i get to pass down what i have learnt to someone else.

I dont think martial arts ever leaves you once you give yourself to it.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes it's not a bad idea to take a break, step back and reexamine your goals. Why did you start training in the first place? What have you accomplished? What areas do you still need to improve on? Are you happy with the style you practice, with the instructor?
Most martial artists (in my opinion) come along at least one fork in the road in the years that they train, where they must make the decision to either keep training or not. Neither road makes you a bad person it just means that you've discovered a little more about yourself. Martial arts isn't for everybody.

Just take some time and don't make any rash decisions. Best of luck!​

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looking back I realize that it was the times in my life where I took a break from training that I experienced the most 'issues'. Training keeps my attitude in check and in turn keeps me balanced in most, if not all areas of my life. So, these days I don't take breaks from my training, at least I don't plan them.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
To play the devil's advocate here: It seems to me that EM is considering a break because he is in "overwhelm" mode. In that kind of situation, if your MA training is adding to the stress in your life instead of dissipating it, it would be wise to take a break.
Unsolicited advice: Find a good councelor. Get your head strait. MA will always be there waiting for you.

P.S. EM, if you need someone to talk to, you can PM me any time. I've gone through some of the craziest **** you can think of in my 32 years on this earth, and I'm not even out of the mire yet. But, I have learned a few things along the way.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When is it worth taking a look at the possiblity of life without the martial arts? What are some of the possible negative effects training can have on your outlook? I've decided that I'm far too misguided at the moment to consider training further as I'm taking myself in a direction I no longer want to go and only reenforcing bad mental habits. I think it's important to step back sometimes and try to look at a bigger picture, like a map, and draw yourself some directions. Right now, I think, I'm far off course. It's not that I have a problem with it, it's that I have a problem with myself. How about you? Has situational turmoil ever had you considering or questioning your involvement in the martial arts? If so, did you take a break? Was it good or bad for you? What are some of the reasons why it might be better to discontinue, at least, for a short time, to get your head on straight? What are some overwhelming reasons to stay despite whatever trouble you may be having? Thanks everyone!

If it is having negative effects on your outlook it is time to take a break and regroup.

I have never had MA do that to me, to be honest it has helped through
some pretty rough spots in my life. I have had to quit before however but that was a major physical injury and I do not think it is what you are talking about.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Spending time in the dojo keeps me relatively sane. I honestly can't conceive of not training. On the other hand, if you don't enjoy it and it doesn't add to the quality of your life (physical/mental/emotional) maybe it is time to take a break.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
soul searching is always a good thing...If you need time to reexamine your life, then do so...the Martial Arts have been there for hundreds of years, and they will be there when/if you ever decide to come back...But the question is, "will you be able to back up on the horse, if you wanted to?"

Sometimes the spirits willing but the body just doesn't want to go.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your training is messing with your head in bad ways... it's time to change something. Either the source or the nature of your training -- or even stop training altogether. But you also have to realize that we all go through dark and frustrating periods in our training and our lives; often, the best way to get through them is to simply put your head down, and keep going.

If your training is causing you serious injuries (mental or physical), then it's a definite problem. And you need to decide the best way to address it.

One side note... As I recall, you're largely "self-taught" and recently began formal training, right? If so, is it possible that the realities of real training are simply making you uncomfortable and causing you to doubt yourself?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, NOT sure if this if for you? ...Depression can create a very ill feeling in life as a whole. When you no longer enjoy the martial arts or life it self?

Maybe a good time to see a "Doctor" or seek help!

Martial arts is usually a very "positive thing" ! A place where you can feel safe and relax, usually among same minded kind of people. (NOTE: Not all schools or Teachers are the same).

Maybe time to seek some other martial arts...that will give you NEW energy! A renewal in sense...a new drive...

Excercise has alway being one of the best ways to modivate the minds and bodies.....

MIND control: ....most of us can choose to see the up side...or the down side? ....weak minds will make you a loser.....strong minds know "positive thinking wins!

Choose to be a winner....take control of the winning side!

Just my thoughts......there were times? ...I too, needed to fight back...to the winning side of life.....

LIFE is not easy.....and IT IS EASY TO GIVE UP! One will find reading positive thinking types of books are a great way to success...

Have you read? ....." HOW TO STOP WORRYING and START LIVING" by Dale Carnegie?

Aloha...( this is a great life saving book to read)....it may change your life too!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Em, all of us can only speak from what we know and what we have experienced.

I think the way jks expressed it was the clearest and all I can add is that the time when I am calmest and most clear minded is when I am training. If your training is actually making you more agitated and uncertain then it is absolutely time to change what you are doing for something else.

All minds need a period where they are at peace, otherwise very real stress related problems start poking through the cracks. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about on this :eek:.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
EM let me start out by saying this we all have had moments in our life when we needed a break and it should be looked at from every aspect of life.

1) Why do you feel you need this?

2) What will happen if you stop

3) How will this effect your everyday life?

4) This is the most important of them all why do you train?

If you train for you then nobody can make you feel like your training is worhtless and if you train for somebody else than why?

I train for me and me only it makes me feel like a man with a purpose in life and for me that is enough now a days.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to be a traitor to everything The Martial Arts As A Way Of Life stands for, a desecrator of Budo.

If you feel like you need to take a break, take a break. If you decide that there's a better way you could spend your time, then by all means do so. There's no sense wasting the irreplaceable hours of your life on something that isn't important and isn't fun. If you've gotten to the point of diminishing returns find some other hobby. Spend more time with the woman / man / mutant / hermaphrodite / alien of your choice. Take up sailing or rock climbing. Get some sleep. Learn another language. Then decide if it's worth it to you. If it is, great. Go back to the dojo. If it isn't then consider the time well spent and get on with your life.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to be a traitor to everything The Martial Arts As A Way Of Life stands for, a desecrator of Budo.

If you feel like you need to take a break, take a break. If you decide that there's a better way you could spend your time, then by all means do so. There's no sense wasting the irreplaceable hours of your life on something that isn't important and isn't fun. If you've gotten to the point of diminishing returns find some other hobby. Spend more time with the woman / man / mutant / hermaphrodite / alien of your choice. Take up sailing or rock climbing. Get some sleep. Learn another language. Then decide if it's worth it to you. If it is, great. Go back to the dojo. If it isn't then consider the time well spent and get on with your life.

Damn good post...

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The rollercoaster. There seems to be a lot of posts lately about this subject. I myself took a month off to regroup. Kids in school with new schedules and new activities taking time away from living, season changes, blah,blah,blah. Take a break. re-evaulate martial arts for yourself. I discovered that MA is what I do for me. It is "me time". It might sound a little corny but I did a Mind Map and it helped my soul searching considerably. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map Tellner is right, take break and enjoy the fall. MA will be there if you choose to come back. Finding a new outlet might be in your best intrest. But as mentioned depression can play havic on motivation, it's the common cold for the emotions. Don't hesitate to have it looked at.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Great points...

For most of us, martial arts isn't a religion. It isn't even really a "way of life" like it was once for soldiers. (Modern military training isn't the same as a martial art -- and they aren't a "way of life" for a cop, either.) For a very few of us, it's a profession or a significant skill set for a profession (like cops and bouncers). Martial arts, for most of us, are a hobby.

If it ain't fun anymore, do something else till it becomes fun again!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent advice, jks.

Em&#8212;please, please take a look at what Rob Redmond has to say about this kind of situation here. He gives great, sound and reassuring advice. Do yourself a favor, read and think about his reasoning here, and take seriously what he's saying about not beating yourself with a stick just because you've had enough.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mirabile dictu there's something Rob Redmond and I agree on.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never really taken a break, but when other parts of my life demand more attention, I'll scale back the MA stuff until those other elements receed a bit. On the other hand, there are other things I enjoy doing, but I realize I'm not enjoying them at the moment so I'll shelve those things. Not a big deal. I can always pick up again where I left off later.

Latest Discussions