When does reactionary positioning become too hollywood?

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think the title says it all but there have been quite a few discussions in and around the idea of reaction from your uke being hit. Some have no reaction and some move like they were just hit with a sledge hammer. So my question for discussion is when do we enter reality and at what point do we leave it and become a hollywood fight scene?

To start things off I will say with fair confidence that everyone reading this has either been in a sparring situation or a real life physical confrontation. Now there are times you hit some one with what you think will surely end them at that very point and the strike glances off and has no effect; and on the opposite end of the spectrum there are times that a simple jab to gadge distance ends up knocking the opponent to the floor.

To put simply in your opinion what is not enough and what is too much.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It takes a bit of experience and skill for the uke to know what a realistic reaction would be to techniques being done on him/her.
I think just knowing a logical direction to move in (for example bend forward when hit to the groin) goes a long way in helping to practice or demonstrate the technique. When reaction goes so far as to make a next move impossible that makes practicing difficult. A little hollywood is fine for entertainment in demos, but having a good realiatic uke in a learning situation is very valuable.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was Ceicei's uke for a while during her blue, green, and brown tests (EPAK) and times in-between, my reactions were close to real as if she hit me full force. She had built up her strength training and I could tell that if she wanted to and if she was mad enough (but still in control), she could really hurt a guy... she would strike with just enough oomph to give her a sense of effectiveness of each technique. I reacted best as I could as if she hit me full force, but at the same time know my own strengths and "allowed" a little more than real life reactions if she were actually hitting me. I can take a fair beating. Though after her blue test I've had to run out and get a cup. :lol:

There was another thread about what makes a good uke. Reaction I don't think was covered in that (or my eyes went by it). A good uke knows not to overboard the reaction of a strike/kick and if they've any acting sense in themselves at all they know where the line is and react accordingly.
But in real life... some folks can take a bust on the jaw and not do anything. I myself seem to have an cast-iron jaw and have had people bust on it before with no effect... even afterwards. Some people as you've said, JT, a simple tap puts them down for the count.

Yet reaction by a uke in practice/training must never be associated with reaction with real life. Some folks I think might get too complacent and end up not striking that hard or striking hard but the opponent/attacker isn't reacting like their uke did during practice. They're still standing there and they've got a "omigod I'm gonna kill you" grin on their face. Now what?
Work on the strength training and work on honing the skills and everything else. The next guy you might meet on the street might've been a former linebacker or semi-pro boxer.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

You can stimulate reactions by "hitting through" the study partner without too much momentum. That way the partner knows how much and how to move when more speed is used.

For strikes to create control manipulation on the attacker, they must affect the skeletal system and/or the CNS. And/Or to do damage, the strikes require to penetrate through the target a certain distance.

Also, for soft tissue strikes, many reactions are just the hands explosively going to the affected area and a flinch response.

This is just a general idea. Hope that helps.

Juan M. Mercado

P.S. I replied to this at Kenpotalk, and was suggested that I reply here too.

Latest Discussions