whats the diference between hook and rounhouse

Reaction score
hi i just wondered what the diference is between the hook punch in muay thai and the rounhouse punch in other arts , i used to go jujitsu 5 years ago , i still remeber some but i dont remeber the rounhouse punch , anyway , my brother is a black belt in jujitsu and learned the roundhouse punch ages ago and insists they are the same thing (not that he knows the muay thai hook)

any help areciated

chris

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most likely it is not. A hook comes more from the legs and body, in truth there is very little arm motion involved. The positioning of the hand and shoulder is also very protective of the chin, you are essentially hiding behind it, where as more traditional styles tend not to emphasis that sort of thing as much.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all, let me state that my Jiu Jitsu training was done one on one with a high ranking blackbelt friend, but we never worried about systematic learning. I just learned what he wanted to show me and what I wanted to see, so my knowledge is spotty and not to be considered even particularly accurate, but most of the strikes I learned in Jiu Jitsu were stunning blows to allow trapping and grappling entries. They tended to snap out quickly, but use much less body. The hook on the other hand is almost completely generated by torquing the body and pivoting on the toes. Also, the shoulder comes up and acts as a shield for your chin.

On a personal note, I don't usually throw the hook until I'm within trappping / clinching range anyway and so serves a completly different purpose than the strikes I learned for Jiu Jitsu.