What would you do? Sell or Stay?

Would you sell or stay?

• Yes, I can always find a better place for a million bucks

• No, I want to live there to the end of my days

• Neutral: it's what the majority decides.

Results are only viewable after voting.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just saw a "story" on ABC news and it's about a developer who wants to buy up some property. The property is a stretch of land in Florida that is lined with mobile homes largely populated by the elderly. He is offering them one million dollars each for their small spaces. Mainly so he can raze the place and build upscale condos that'll sell for 3 million apiece.
2/3 rds of the home-owners have to agree to the offer before the deal goes through. Problem is it's divided. Some want to stay and others want to sell. What would you do if someone offered you a cool million for a home that you've been living in for a long time?

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd sell...maybe I am a cynic, but I think the developer would find a way to get it anyways through emminant domain or some other underhanded ploy if going above board didn't work, so I would take my money and make the best of it....

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Real estate is my gig, man.

I don't know what I'd do, personally, what with the SUPREME COURT REVISING THE RULE OF EMINENT DOMAIN and all.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's easy. a million bucks means i'm retired the day the check clears. there's no physical possession i wouldn't surrender if it meant my time was mine and mine alone for the rest of my days.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here in San Francisco, a million bucks only buys you an outhouse. Not a very attractive offer in our neck of the woods...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on where I live. If I were them living in a mobile home, I would sell out, provided it isn't on the beach. If it is beachfront, he would have to cough up more than that.

However, not everything has a price tag.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Mobil home... in Florida..

Let me think take the Million and go elsewhere or wait for the next Hurricane to remove it completely.... Hmmmmm

OK I'll take the million

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would depend on what my place is worth.

Around here, million dollar homes are very easy to find.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the majority - it depends on the value of the property, and what I can replace with the payment I'm offered.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
If I was ina double wide I'd take the million and run, here in NYC like the aforementioned San Francisco a Million is unfortunately not all that much.
1 Family around the corner recently sold for 1.5 million on a 40*100 lot

Skennen Peace.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Up here, somebody offer me $100,000 and I'm on the next thing smoking. A mil would buy a good chunk of the town, and no I don't mean would buy 1 house for the majority of the town, you could pick up 20 or so houses for a mil TOTAL on average. Oh sure some of the nicer ones go for 150,000, but they had better come with 20 or 30 acres for that price.

Trailer in Florida, 1 mil. that would depend on several things, what is just the land worth? Sounds like he is buying the lots for a mil each, shoot if you like the trailer so much sell the lot for a million and move the darn thing. Personally leaning toward selling before they claim Eminent Domain for the betterment of the community and the tax base increase.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I was ina double wide I'd take the million and run, here in NYC like the aforementioned San Francisco a Million is unfortunately not all that much.
1 Family around the corner recently sold for 1.5 million on a 40*100 lot

Skennen Peace.

Up for auction in beautiful Northern Maine aka. Vacationland. 1) 161 X 99 lot on quite residential street, great neighbors, 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath 1900Sq Foot of space, Birch hardwood floors throughout, new roof, fixtures, appliances, furnace, wiring, plumbing, Bidding open to those who think 1 million is a good price for a house :). Shoot, I'm a nice guy this week special 1/2 a million. :) :lfao:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SELL!!!! I lived in Fla for awhile and mobile home parks are everywhere and they seem to get nicer..

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah I'd sell too... especially if it were for a $46,000.00 mobile home ... I mean geez... with 150,000 you can get a nice house in a good suburb area and a decent car for another 50,60 K then live off the rest and have your funeral and headstone/plot paid for and your bills paid off... geez ...
He's making the offer to the elderly... honestly on their fixed incomes I'd think it's a tempting offer.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have I been living there for a long time because I like it there, or because I can't do any better?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have I been living there for a long time because I like it there, or because I can't do any better?

With a Million bucks you could do ALOT better..

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is more than the true value of the home/property then I would sell in a heart beat. After all you can always go somewhere else and live.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mobil home... in Florida..

Let me think take the Million and go elsewhere or wait for the next Hurricane to remove it completely.... Hmmmmm

OK I'll take the million

Ummm, yeah. Exactly what he said.