What was the most important lesson

L

lifewise

Maybe it is due to the fact that I am moving on, but tonight I spent sometime reflecting on my training while living here in London. I've been fortunate to have made some good friends along the way.

Of course, not all the people I trained with became friends. I would even say I grew to dislike some, however, all of them taught me something about myself.

What was the most important lesson(s) that you learned while in the dojo?

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
You never stop learning, and sometimes the best lessons come from the most uncoordinated, unathletic students you have.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

OP
L

lifewise

bdparsons said:
You never stop learning, and sometimes the best lessons come from the most uncoordinated, unathletic students you have.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

So true. :asian:

OP
R

RHD

That the best teacher you will ever have is the one between your ears.
Mike

OP
B

Black Bear

If anything is to be useful, it must first be true.

It's not "what works?" but "what did you do before what you did, to make what you did work?"

Self-defense against assault is a small, small part of Life and people shouldn't think about it all the time. They should get educated, figure out what they can and can't do, and spend their evenings in something they enjoy and is good for themselves and their community.

People have the potential to be very very good and very very bad.

There are lots more.

OP
R

RCastillo

bdparsons said:

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

I agree totally! :asian:

OP
B

Black Bear

Is Corpus Christi a nice place to live? Why or why not?

OP
R

RCastillo

Black Bear said:
Is Corpus Christi a nice place to live? Why or why not?

It is if you're single, and love watching the babes that have invaded us for Spring Break! With your background, maybe you could also interview all these people that drink round the clock while they're here.

The weather is pretty good year round, and we have a decent gang population........gee, more business for you. You could make tons of bucks !(seriously) Big dropout rate also. :uhyeah: I think it's time for you to pull up stakes, and move here! :asian:

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Yes I agree you just have to be smart enough to keep your eyes always open and be aware of other things around yourself.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

bdparsons said:

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

OP
B

Black Bear

Castillo, I'm not an MA instructor if that's what you're thinking...

OP
R

RCastillo

Black Bear said:
Castillo, I'm not an MA instructor if that's what you're thinking...

Coulda fooled me, with your MA trainning/background,(seriously) but what I was referring to was your work in Education, Psychology! :asian:

OP
B

Black Bear

Well it seemed like you were talking a bit about both. Like your gangs remark. Oookay, so when you said big dropout rate, you were talking, like High School?

OP
R

RCastillo

Black Bear said:
Well it seemed like you were talking a bit about both. Like your gangs remark. Oookay, so when you said big dropout rate, you were talking, like High School?

Yep, in fact, not only here, but some of South Texas region as well.

OP
B

Black Bear

It can be hard for some young people to make the right choices if they don't have enough "pull" in the right direction.

Heck, you guys have got the beaches. All we've got is crystal meth and we still have dropouts.

OP
R

RCastillo

Black Bear said:
It can be hard for some young people to make the right choices if they don't have enough "pull" in the right direction.

Heck, you guys have got the beaches. All we've got is crystal meth and we still have dropouts.

The crystal meth is moving around here decently too. A few "mobile labs" have been busted up. Some of these guys have been setting up near schools as well!

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Probably the single most important thing I learned was humility. I'm no small guy (6'6", around 390lbs), and that fact my teachers could hand me my butt in at least 100 different ways was an eye opener. It really hit home the precept that it doesn't matter how good you are, there will always be someone a little better.

OP
B

Black Bear

It's easy and cheap to make. Anybody can have it. Which is terrible because it's a dirty, dirty drug. You wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy. It really hurts people. :(

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Ric, BB, You're points of view are valued but you are ....:-offtopic

My most important lesson was exercise can be fun.
And, you can hit like and Guy and still be a woman.
And, I can do some pretty amazing things, if I put my mind to it.

Dot

OP
B

Black Bear

I really like Brussel sprouts. I don't understand why some people find them objectionable. And they're really good for you purple monkey dishwasher.

AHEM. Sorry. My doctor said I have attention defici-- OOH, look, a bird!

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Black Bear said:
I really like Brussel sprouts. I don't understand why some people find them objectionable. And they're really good for you purple monkey dishwasher.

AHEM. Sorry. My doctor said I have attention defici-- OOH, look, a bird!
Hmmm I see you're from Edmonton, that explains a lot. :shrug: Goof. :D

Now get back on topic. Sheesh.

Something else I learn in my training. Your instructor is not a god, no matter what he says or how impressive he seems. Until you see other instructors they may seem like Masters. Always investigate schools around you, even when you are training, and don't be afraid to switch if you school doesn't seem quite right.

Dot

Latest Discussions