What type of move is this?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was another thread with this video on it showing a referee assualting someone in a match. I didn't want to hijack the thread, so I was wondering, WHAT did the referee do to the kid that put him down. It looks like he grabs with one hand and did something with the other to the neck.

Here is the video clip.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg09bGacp0A

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It appears to be similar to an aikido move, he grabbed his shoulders, dropped his weight and brought his hsoulders backwards, dropping him.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What I see is that the kid goes down hard on his right (forward) shoulder with his hands at his side. His right leg (the one away from the ref) collapses. The ref has his hands at the kid's neck.

The kid's hands are at this side, not trying to protect himself as he falls, and in fact he hits his head as he falls. Therefore I beleive he is at best semi-concious at this point. The collapse of the far leg tells me that the ref probably did not attack the near (left) leg because if he had the right leg would have strengthened for support and it did the opposite, it gave out, limp.

So, I believe that the ref struck the kid on the side of the head, jaw or neck causing a flash knockout. You can see a the kid's head give a short jerk just before he falls. Watch how the kid is dazed as he tries to sit up, not trying to defend himself at all. I believe what you see here is pressure point striking in action.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is no one disturbed by the fact that this seemingly in control adult referee, attacked this kid and stomped his head? What kind of mature adult should do this? He wasn't just trying to control the kid he was exacting revenge for probably his own student being attacked with a simple punch. A bit of overkill don't you think?

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is no one disturbed by the fact that this seemingly in control adult referee, attacked this kid and stomped his head? What kind of mature adult should do this? He wasn't just trying to control the kid he was exacting revenge for probably his own student being attacked with a simple punch. A bit of overkill don't you think?

The guy should lose his license to referee. At the very least!
I would not be surprised if he was arrested for assault.
You just don't behave that way as a referee.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I see is that the kid goes down hard on his right (forward) shoulder with his hands at his side. His right leg (the one away from the ref) collapses. The ref has his hands at the kid's neck.

The kid's hands are at this side, not trying to protect himself as he falls, and in fact he hits his head as he falls. Therefore I beleive he is at best semi-concious at this point. The collapse of the far leg tells me that the ref probably did not attack the near (left) leg because if he had the right leg would have strengthened for support and it did the opposite, it gave out, limp.

So, I believe that the ref struck the kid on the side of the head, jaw or neck causing a flash knockout. You can see a the kid's head give a short jerk just before he falls. Watch how the kid is dazed as he tries to sit up, not trying to defend himself at all. I believe what you see here is pressure point striking in action.

You may be right, it's hard to tell.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The ref is Isao Nakumura, generally a nice guy and a fine senior karateka. Looks like he maybe hit the carotid sinus or one of the large nerves in the neck. Nakumura had to have been badly provoked. Must have been the charge after the guy in white turned his back, or maybe the guy in black said something ugly we couldn't hear. Nice fumikomi, however. Good lesson in courtesy.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay the referee and for lack of a better word jerk grabbed the competitor by the shoulder/neck region and headbutted him on the side of the head or temple. That caused the knockout and the kid went down. Nothing fancy just a good old headbutt.

Definately a shameful and cowardly act and I hope he was prosecuted.

shoshinkan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay the referee and for lack of a better word jerk grabbed the competitor by the shoulder/neck region and headbutted him on the side of the head or temple. That caused the knockout and the kid went down. Nothing fancy just a good old headbutt.

Definately a shameful and cowardly act and I hope he was prosecuted.

agreed, a simple grab and jerkbutt to the side of the head. The guy didn't see it coming hence the effect was devestating.

the Sensei (I use that term carefully here) should be banned from the art and locked up as that kind of violence was not justified in any way.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would still like to know what provoked it. While difficult to condone, it may well be understandable. It was in Mexico. The guy in black could have said something like "chingate (sp) cabron." Nakamura speaks Spanish, Japanese, and some English.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would still like to know what provoked it. While difficult to condone, it may well be understandable. It was in Mexico. The guy in black could have said something like "chingate (sp) cabron." Nakamura speaks Spanish, Japanese, and some English.
Well, if someone said that to me I'd definitely be pretty hot. But at this point are we still conjecturing? If so, then it could have been prompted by a whole range of things, with this being one of many, many, no?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
NO VERBAL INSULT could possibly justify such action, ESPECIALLY soccer-kicking & stomping the kid AFTER HE'S DOWN & OUT. Ridiculous. That's no master.

After watching it again, it appears to be a grab, then a right hand strike & headbutt combo. Does anyone else see that?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seen refs jumped. attacked, etc. by competitors nefor. I have seen a ref punch a competitor in the mouth for something the man said. But this is beyound me

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have seen the whole match.
The guy in blue was punching full contact to the head.
He then kicked to the groin.
Lastly he attacks from behind.
He was repeatedly warned.
The kid in white (I was told) was the ref's son.
From what I understand, this is an old video. About 10-15 years.

Scarey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where did this take place? It's true that in the states we don't generally tolerate this kind of behavior, but if this is in another country, who knows what their acceptable referee behaviors are. I'm not trying to justify what this guy did, but I'll bet that fellow thinks twice before breaking the rules of that organization again.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Where did this take place? It's true that in the states we don't generally tolerate this kind of behavior, but if this is in another country, who knows what their acceptable referee behaviors are. I'm not trying to justify what this guy did, but I'll bet that fellow thinks twice before breaking the rules of that organization again.

Mexico

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why was he refereeing his own son. Wouldn't that create some bias anyway. I do see why he would overreact if it was his son.

I have seen the whole match.
The guy in blue was punching full contact to the head.
He then kicked to the groin.
Lastly he attacks from behind.
He was repeatedly warned.
The kid in white (I was told) was the ref's son.
From what I understand, this is an old video. About 10-15 years.

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
The guy should lose his license to referee. At the very least!
I would not be surprised if he was arrested for assault.
You just don't behave that way as a referee.

Totally agree!

Latest Discussions