What type of Massage?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know there are different types of massages for various things, but I have no idea what they are. I am in bad need of a body massage to release tension. I am sooooo tensed up all the time and I don't even realize it. I have woken up in the morning and realized I have been tensed all night long. My back feels like it needs a good crack, in fact, my entire body feels like it needs a good crack. Anyway, I thought I'd look into getting a good massage. What should I get? Thanks.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi JT

I don't feel qualified to actually answer the question myself but here's a link to a site that gives a brief rundown on the different massage types and what they're for:

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/massage/a/massage_types.htm[/url]

For myself, I really only like the aroma-therapy style massage - the more vigorous ones I find make me feel more like I've been beaten up than anything else :lol:.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have three words for you.

Deep Tissue Massage.

OMG Pam, its the most amazing thing. I can actually fall asleep during an hour session. I wake up feeling wonderful.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have three words for you.

Deep Tissue Massage.

OMG Pam, its the most amazing thing. I can actually fall asleep during an hour session. I wake up feeling wonderful.

Wow, I've usually been in too much pain to fall asleep during a deep tissue massage. I usually walk out feeling like I've been beaten by a 2x4. Feels great the next day though...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, I've usually been in too much pain to fall asleep during a deep tissue massage. I usually walk out feeling like I've been beaten by a 2x4. Feels great the next day though...

"does this hurt"

"uh huh" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

maybe I just get into a zone or something but man it feels so damn good

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Deep tissue massage huh? I don't care if it hurts, I just want to get rid of the tension. Though it would be fun to check out different types of massages, it's not quite in the budget. *sigh* I'll be doing good to get one, so I best make it a good one! lol

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score
It sort of depends on what the problem is. If you just need something relaxing, that is one thing, but because of previous lower back problems, to include sciatica, I had some seriously knotted muscles that required very aggressive, and painful at times, therapeutic massage. I was always sore for a day or two afterwards, but getting the muscles straightened out was well worth the temporary pain. It did more to get me active again than anything done by any doctor (except for the vicodin :)).

Finding a massage therapist who can be aggressive enough without doing damage can be trial and error. Also, I would look for someone who has really gone the extra mile in training as far as stuff like rehabilitative techniqes, sports injury specialty, kinesiology, etc.

I have had a couple of really great massages therapists and several so-so ones. Where I am currently living, I have been to a nice "feel good" LMT here, but she didn't really get the job done. Be sure to find someone who does more than incense, warm rocks, and a bit of a rub here and there.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"does this hurt"

I think it's my massage therapist climbing up on the table so she can grind her elbow down the edge of my shoulder blades that takes away from peaceful slumber...

Now then, when she gets down to massaging my hands and forearms, I've been known to start purring. :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"does this hurt"

The exact same thing happens to me. At first I thought it was torture, but after having regular appointments for a few months now, wow! That's the ticket!

Jeff

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reiki didn't do much for me and the trigger point hurt too much! :)
Deep tissue didn't hurt at all but really stretched and relaxed the muscles.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The correct massage depends on what the massage theapist thinks is correct according to what is wrong with you.
Some might need deep tissue some might need Shiatsu to hit certain points.
The real question is once you had a massage and the muscles are relaxed what ways can you prevent it from happening again?

Some massages may require alot of session depending on the damage done but if its corrected and you go back to standing on your head again
be prepared to keep going back. For example: common area of soreness are the shoulders and neck so if you spend alot of time using say a computer maybe change your posture or set a certain limit.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I don't have an injury or anything like that. I know it's stress, I can just physically feel the tension. I need to loosen up! lol

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know there are different types of massages for various things, but I have no idea what they are. I am in bad need of a body massage to release tension. I am sooooo tensed up all the time and I don't even realize it. I have woken up in the morning and realized I have been tensed all night long. My back feels like it needs a good crack, in fact, my entire body feels like it needs a good crack. Anyway, I thought I'd look into getting a good massage. What should I get? Thanks.

Deep tissue, Tui Na, it's all good... with the usual caveats about finding someone who has the balance between going hard enough to actually do some good yet not going to hard and making things worse. Spinal physiotherapists are very good and often have handy hints about some self-massage techniques you can use to minimize return visits. Ask about how you can trigger the supra-scapula notch pressure point if you get the chance, it's pure gold for a tight neck!
The left-field therapy that i've also found useful is Bowen therapy. It's very minimalist; tiny adjustments of your body that feel like nothing - but half a day later and suddenly THUNK! goes your back and you feel brilliant. Don't ask me how it works, but it's good.
icon10.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Acupuncture is very good for what you are describing.

I agree 100%..My acupuncturists does a really good massage before she puts the needles in..Sometimes depending on my condition she places a healing herb that she put on the top of the needle and ignites, like in the Steven Segal movie..

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Need to talk about your stress and tension? :)

LOL. Always. :D

qi-tah and drac, thanks for your input. I haven't done anything yet, though I'd really like to. Time and all, you know. Still haven't decided on where to get it done. I'm liking the sound of acupuncture but want to make sure I find the right therapist to do it. That will require some research on my part.

Latest Discussions