What style of wing chun do you study?

Methos

White Belt
Reaction score
ok i admit the title is sortof misleading, im really interested in talking to people that take less "known" styles of Wing Chun. For example, Pan Nam (personally, ive met 1 person that has taken it and it was only for a 3 month period), or Fut Sao Gu Yee Chuan wing chun, Peng style, Yuen Kay-San, Leung Ting, Lo Man Kam ect...

also anyone that has had a chance to train with any of the "famous" masters like Emin Boztepe, Ip Chun, William Cheung, Eddie Chong ect...

-also if anyone takes a completely external style of wing chun (no sense of softness like karate) i'd love to pick yalls brains

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is why youtube is good as it gives people a rough idea of what people do. However, never rely on it to gauge how good a teacher or school is. I have seen some bad clips done by good schools and vice versa

I hva trained under Kevin Chan for many years and I have played/fought students from Ip Chun, James Sinclair, WT, William Cheung, Andrew Sofos and Grados. All had something to offer

Mic

White Belt
Reaction score
I study Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun. I dont think too many people have heard of this form but i could be wrong.My Sifu studys under Master Benny Meng.Our lineage holder is Grand Master Gee.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Woo Fai Ching System here. My Sifu is Ali Rahim. Sigung Woo Studied Choy Li Fut with Leung Sheung in thier teens and Woo studied Wing Chun with Yip Man for 2 years then for another 6 years with Leung Sheung.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Woo Fai Ching System here. My Sifu is Ali Rahim. Sigung Woo Studied Choy Li Fut with Leung Sheung in thier teens and Woo studied Wing Chun with Yip Man for 2 years then for another 6 years with Leung Sheung.

Interesting. Normally Choy Li Fut is considered nearly opposite to WC. Do you incorporate any CLF moves into your system?

As for myself, I began studying the WC system of (Augustinge) Fong Chi Wing (Ho Kam Ming / Yip Man lineage), then became a student of Leung Ting in 1980. I did have the opportunity to train (ouch) with Emin Boztepe, but finally left the art for many years. I now train WT with my kung fu brothers Robert Jacquet and Master Jeff Webb in the newly formed NWTO, and eskrima ..."DTE system ...with Master Martin Torres. But, it's all good...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Greetings,
I study and teach both Yip Man Wing Chun (Lueng Shuen family) and Pan Nam Yong Chun. I love and respect both lines and find them to complement each other greatly.
Peace.BFL

That sounds good--Can you give an example of how the two systems complement each other?

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I travel between North Jersey and Central Florida
I've been exposed to many different families of Yip Man's varied versions since the early 90's and I've found this basic system(s) to exemplify a softness or yielding of force, utilizing opponents energy etc., basically the same principles just varied application or interpretation depending on that particular lineage or school. Yip Man Wing Chun has a very scientific/geometrical approach to center line theory, simultaenious attack/defense while either playing off the opponents energy or mearly helping that energy along it's path, while delivering one's own defense/attack. Although I've seen it written, suggested, hinted at that one can perform SLT ever so slowly and practice it in a "Qiqong" mindset, it for the most part is not practiced for that purpose. The practice of Chi Sao and veried other drills does target sensitivity and proper allignment of the different techniques/positions thus creating the wedge/angle/cutting attributes so often found in Yip Man systems today.
Pan Nam's W.C. does take a bit of a different approach being a bit looser in it's centerline theory by Y.M. standards, but once one understands the principles behind it, it truly does make sense especially after you begin the Pan Nam Chi Sao practice. Pan Nam's from the very beginning (SLT) develops the flow of Qi and utilizing "breath" energy, yes still keeping the simultaenious attack/defense principle active but with an explosive delivery of Qi/soft energy force at the point of contact. Pan Nam's utilizes a more attack from an angle, rather than creating the angle yourself and has a much more brutal delivery using veried techniques a bit different from the standard Y.M. practice. In my opinion, and that's all it is - my opinion, I feel that knowing these two versions, seemingly different, yet giving a more total/complete picture of Wing Chun and perhaps being able to see the possible evolution of this art throughout it's history. Pan Nams utilizes even more theory of "flowing with the opponent" than Yip Man's, yet Yip Man's has a more direct approach etc. I feel that Wing Chun is a training system, not necessarily a fighting system, and as training progresses so does your own personal Kung Fu, as long of course as you keep within the theories, principles and precepts of Wing Chun. Knowing both has truly brought about a ballance to my own Wing Chun, and I can flow from one attribute to the other with ease, as I feel they complement each other's energy and are able to be used together if you will, flowing within each other....after all, they're both Wing Chun.
Humblest Respects,
BFL

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Pan Nam's from the very beginning (SLT) develops the flow of Qi and utilizing "breath" energy, yes still keeping the simultaenious attack/defense principle active but with an explosive delivery of Qi/soft energy force at the point of contact. Pan Nam's utilizes a more attack from an angle, rather than creating the angle yourself and has a much more brutal delivery...BFL[/quote

I've always been a bit of a skeptic about "QI" except as conceived within the conventional laws of physics. Within the Yip Man tradition, I've seen Leung Ting do a very slow, "internal" version of SNT and watched from right next to him as his Tan Sau turned a deep, dark red. But afterwards he more or less dismissed the importance of that effect in favor of emphasis on technique. At any rate, it's a tough thing to prove. I've had my but kicked a lot of times, but was it truly "Qi" or just good, relaxed technique that did it?

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree, not saying it gives an advantage or makes it better, but I have noticed that I'm able to flow better and I feel I have greater sensitivity due to it's cultivation, if I can call it that. Maybe it is just good relaxed technique, but I can "feel" it, for whatever benefit "it" brings about.
Have a garooovy day.
Peace,
BFL

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm just wary whenever i hear martial artists speak of qi or pressure points or anything like that.

Breathing is slightly important but when you are in a fight it means absolutely nothing. I know several martial artists who breath out when they strike etc, so if the flow of the fight doesn't go their way or if they are grappled, it really messes them up.

Pressure points are just weak points on the body, but some people out there make them sound like special buttons that of you press them your opponent will drop

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a big proponent of the whole pressure point theory or even of the whole "my chi can knock you out" kind of press. I've seen so called "Chi Masters" get knocked on their preverbial butts when trying their whole, Knock you out with my chi B.S., again that was just one aspect of P.N.W.C. in comparison to Y.M.W.C. of which you asked about. Perhaps good relaxed technique is just another way of explaining chi flow? Perhaps they are the same and it merely allows you to stay relaxed and focused during a confrontation? Remaining tense or trying too much power will hinder your reactions and response time, this much I do know as fact. One thing I know from experience is that I was unable to understand it until I experienced it. Once I began the practice of P.N.'s Qiqong set and S.L.T., not expecting or aniticipating anything special, I actually did experience a difference in my energy/flow/exucution of techniques, but I do not believe it's something magical or makes you impervious to all injuries or gives you super powers. I am realistic and examine everything with a sceptical eye

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently began Yip Man style under Sifu Garner Train. His Sifu is Ip Chun. I been at it less than a month and really like it so far. Waaaay different than anything I have studied thus far (Kickboxing, Koei-Kan-Karate-Do, Tae Kwon Do).

I was looking for an art much different than anything I have done in the past, street effective, and that I can do into ripe old age. From what I have seen and am seeing, this is the art i was looking for and happy I found it.

Later
Gary

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I recently began Yip Man style under Sifu Garner Train. His Sifu is Ip Chun. I been at it less than a month and really like it so far. Waaaay different than anything I have studied thus far (Kickboxing, Koei-Kan-Karate-Do, Tae Kwon Do).
I was looking for an art much different than anything I have done in the past, street effective, and that I can do into ripe old age. From what I have seen and am seeing, this is the art i was looking for and happy I found it.
Later
Gary

Tell Garner that I'm still waiting for him to send back my escrima sticks. I'll PM you with details!

krauser

White Belt
Reaction score
Leung Ting WingTsun - and cant say i have a choise of any other Wing Chun style.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Leung Ting WingTsun - and cant say i have a choise of any other Wing Chun style.

What does that mean? Isn't there always a choice? My reason for choosing to study under Leung Ting for many years, in spite of everything, was the quality of his technique and depth of his understanding. Now I've taken another path, but I still believe that about Dr. Leung. Of course I am a nutcase. Oh well....

krauser

White Belt
Reaction score
What does that mean? Isn't there always a choice? My reason for choosing to study under Leung Ting for many years, in spite of everything, was the quality of his technique and depth of his understanding. Now I've taken another path, but I still believe that about Dr. Leung. Of course I am a nutcase. Oh well....

It wasn’t meant as a complaint – simply where I live no other WingTsun or Wing Chun is taught.
Cheers

Latest Discussions