What makes a great lower level black belt?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a senior colored belt, I'm within a year +/- of testing for black belt. There's a thread going right now about what makes a great student, and all of it applies, but I'm wondering what makes a great 1st/2nd dan black belt? What more do you look for than the generics of what makes a great student?

Thanks,
Carl

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same as a good student (which a BB still is ofc) but should enjoy teaching and have developed strong will and confidence without getting arrogant.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training up to 1st dan should be primarily about acquiring technique and skill. I want my brown belts and first dans to exhibit noticeable power and crispness in technique, especially compared to even the intermediate color grades. The softness and elegance comes later.

Why? Well if you are trying to grow a school, these are the students that observers watch the most. They generally don't realize the differences in dan grades and they usually can't recognize what differentiates a seasoned black belt from a lower dan, but they sure can tell if you have power or you are wishy-washy like a white belt.

First dans are a good indicator of whether the school is a belt factory. If you have lots of them on the floor with iffy technique, well....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One that still trains hard everyday and one that still has the respect for the Art he has choosen. Last thing is one that has not let his/her ego come between them and there teacher.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The three posts above express my thoughts on the subject. Thanks to Cirdan, Dancing, and Terry for saving me a lot of typing!:)

Daniel

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Understanding that black belt is just another level, and while it is a great achievement, it is still a long way from the top, with a lot to learn.

Black belt is where the real learning begins in many systems. It is not a "graduation". If colored belts are the apprenticeship, then at 1st Dan the student becomes a Journeyman. They're still a long way from mastering the art, but there's more room for experimentation and personalization.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a fresh second dan black belt and having teaching full TKD for almost forth months (in the past I asisted my sambonim) I can say a few things more.

The time it took me to reach first dan black belt status (4 years) gave all the basis of TKD, you know train almost everyday very hard and trying to improve alittle every day too.

The time it took me from firsth Dan to second dan black belt (3 years) was a time of maturity, maybe not as phisically demanding as when I was younger but in this time helped me to grow in a cleaver and spiritual level,giving me a sence of TKD I had'nt when I was younger.

I love to teach and I feel great doing it, I put all my effort to pass to the new students my knowledge and I belive this is what it counts or makes the diference beetwen me and a belt factory black belt instructor.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, Manny, eventually, there will come a day when we'll have to explain to the youth what 'ditto' actually means.:)

I wonder how many people use the word and have no idea what a ditto actually is.

Daniel

It's a Pokemon, of course...

Anyhow, a good lower BB is one who knows that the color belts were foreplay, the real learning starts now.

(what helps is a form with such an effed up move in it, having you do 5 things between picking your foot up for a kick and putting it down...the 'you are still a grasshopper' form...)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a Pokemon, of course...

No, Ditto is the boy in the Hi & Lois comic. Sorry Manny, but I don`t think he has the qualities of a black belt just yet.

Ditto & his sister Dot
Hi_and_Lois(1).gif

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, so now I really feel old(er) having uses Ditto machines.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, Manny, eventually, there will come a day when we'll have to explain to the youth what 'ditto' actually means.:)

I wonder how many people use the word and have no idea what a ditto actually is.

Daniel

dit·to (d
ibreve.gif
t
prime.gif
omacr.gif
)
n. pl. dit·tos 1. The same as stated above or before.
2. A duplicate; a copy.
3. A pair of small marks ( " ) used to indicated that the word, phrase, or figure given above is to be repeated.

adv. As before.

tr.v. dit·toed, dit·to·ing, dit·tos To duplicate (a document, for example).

[Italian dialectal, past participle of Italian dire, to say, from Latin d
imacr.gif
cere
; see deik- in Indo-European roots.]
Word History: Ditto, which at first glance seems a handy and insignificant sort of word, actually has a Roman past, for it comes from dictus, "having been said," the past participle of the verb d
imacr.gif
cere,
"to say." In Italian d
imacr.gif
cere
became dire and dictus became detto, or in the Tuscan dialect ditto. Italian detto or ditto meant what said does in English, as in the locution "the said story." Thus the word could be used in certain constructions to mean "the same as what has been said"; for example, having given the date December 22, one could use 26 detto or ditto for 26 December. The first recorded use of ditto in English occurs in such a construction in 1625. The sense "copy" is an English development, first recorded in 1818. Ditto has even become a trademark for a duplicating machine.

Manny

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me, consistency in performance. When I was a coloured belt there seemed to be a bigger gap in abilty between my good days and bad days. I would, for instance, have days where I could break the timber with any kick and then a week later Id struggle with the same kicks. Or sparring, some nights I was just "on" and my footwork was fast, my strikes were fast and I generally felt great and then a week later it felt like I had lead shoes on. Once a black belt, however, I know that if my instructor calls me out to demonstrate something I have to do it to black belt standard everytime. If I get called up to demonstrate a timber break or a form at a coloured belt grading (like last night for instance) in front of students parents, partners or potential clientel I need to be black belt standard everytime. I felt people were more forgiving when I was a coloured belt whereas now there is a black belt standard I have to uphold.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think being a lower level black belt probably has some similarities to being "middle management". You're definitely still a student, but at the same time (at least at our school) much is expected of you as far as leadership, mentoring, assisting with instruction etc. So it seems to an extent that the lower level black belt has two roles and I would think part of being a good lower black belt is understanding when it is appropriate to be in which role and being able to transition well between the two.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think being a lower level black belt probably has some similarities to being "middle management". You're definitely still a student, but at the same time (at least at our school) much is expected of you as far as leadership, mentoring, assisting with instruction etc. So it seems to an extent that the lower level black belt has two roles and I would think part of being a good lower black belt is understanding when it is appropriate to be in which role and being able to transition well between the two.

I have certainly experienced the "middle management" aspect of being a lower BB (clean up, prepare the room for testing, drive all over to teach classes on short notice for a sick instructor, etc). I used to think, "for what?". My buddy & I (then college students) would gripe that "being a 2nd Dan was the green belt of BB's. A bit of skill, but just enough rank to always use as a dummy." Years later, I realize the invaluable amount of things I learned by being willing to, in some cases, shut up & do it. In some ways, it was the best classroom for my later TKD career as an instructor.

When I was a gup student, there was a Korean high school-aged 3rd Dan who was the assistant instructor. He opened the dojang & taught the kid's class every day while our master came from his full time job. When the master came in, everything was going like clockwork. He could teach the adult class (where the assistant was a student & fulltime uke) & the assistant would clean up & lock up nightly. Today, (25 years later) that assistant runs his own dojang & is a fantastic instructor.

I would say that the early dans are the perfect time to open up & really learn what TKD can be. Hopefully, one has a good teacher.

My $ .02

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have certainly experienced the "middle management" aspect of being a lower BB (clean up, prepare the room for testing, drive all over to teach classes on short notice for a sick instructor, etc). I used to think, "for what?". My buddy & I (then college students) would gripe that "being a 2nd Dan was the green belt of BB's. A bit of skill, but just enough rank to always use as a dummy." Years later, I realize the invaluable amount of things I learned by being willing to, in some cases, shut up & do it. In some ways, it was the best classroom for my later TKD career as an instructor.

When I was a gup student, there was a Korean high school-aged 3rd Dan who was the assistant instructor. He opened the dojang & taught the kid's class every day while our master came from his full time job. When the master came in, everything was going like clockwork. He could teach the adult class (where the assistant was a student & fulltime uke) & the assistant would clean up & lock up nightly. Today, (25 years later) that assistant runs his own dojang & is a fantastic instructor.

I would say that the early dans are the perfect time to open up & really learn what TKD can be. Hopefully, one has a good teacher.

My $ .02

Ahhhhh.... the summers i spent during my highschool years, opening up the dojang and running the store and school everyday and helping teach the beginner classes, taking advanced & BB classes, and locking up.... and to think of all the fun I missed out on while my friends were drinkin-robbin-stealin-gettin high.... I guess I turned out for the better because of it!

thanks tkd!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
dit·to (d
ibreve.gif
t
prime.gif
omacr.gif
)
n. pl. dit·tos 1. The same as stated above or before.
2. A duplicate; a copy.
3. A pair of small marks ( " ) used to indicated that the word, phrase, or figure given above is to be repeated.

adv. As before.

tr.v. dit·toed, dit·to·ing, dit·tos To duplicate (a document, for example).

[Italian dialectal, past participle of Italian dire, to say, from Latin d
imacr.gif
cere
; see deik- in Indo-European roots.]
Word History: Ditto, which at first glance seems a handy and insignificant sort of word, actually has a Roman past, for it comes from dictus, "having been said," the past participle of the verb d
imacr.gif
cere,
"to say." In Italian d
imacr.gif
cere
became dire and dictus became detto, or in the Tuscan dialect ditto. Italian detto or ditto meant what said does in English, as in the locution "the said story." Thus the word could be used in certain constructions to mean "the same as what has been said"; for example, having given the date December 22, one could use 26 detto or ditto for 26 December. The first recorded use of ditto in English occurs in such a construction in 1625. The sense "copy" is an English development, first recorded in 1818. Ditto has even become a trademark for a duplicating machine.

Manny
Well I knew that you knew what it meant, lol. But for those younger members...

Daniel