Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well dogs come in all varieties, why not pigs? TW

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That looks like a hyena - sloping back, low powerful rear legs, big forward ears, "mane" on neck. I would guess a Laughing Hyena (rather than a Brown). Either that, or possibly a cross with something else, and an African Wild Dog - note those big ears.

The thing that really throws me off is that it looks almost furless (it looks rather pink in the body). Possibly a cross-bred animal between species? That mane and face and back is so hyena, I wonder....

I hate the trade in exotic animals. What the heck is this one doing in Maryland?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read the comments associated with the video, couldn't watch the video very well, something was screwing up the bandwidth but the still photos are intriguing <sic>. I would have to agree that it is some member of the canine family as the shape of the head shows some bone structure related to dogs. The odd snout that makes it look like a pig is something reflective of the video quality. The still photos show a tapered snout, alibet a bit broad at the base.
It could be an exotic type of dog, possibly from Africa as it's ears are reminicent of African Wild Dogs. Mange is purported to be the cause of the lack of hair.
I'm going to guess that it may be a cross breed of a domestic and wild dog that has gotten loose.
Hopefully animal control of Baltimore will capture the animal and give a better review of it.
Very interesting beastie I'll grant it that much.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

There have been cases of wild exotic animals released from American homes to prevent criminal charges to the owners and in turn it is possible for cross breeding of two different types of dog or pig.

From my College Biology class it is impossible for one species to mate with another such as dog with a cat or a bird with a mouse, etc....

If this is a new breed of animal it has to be an animal with similar DNA that would allow cross breeding. I would say it is a wild dog that has been straving and cross breeded with a hyena since both are in the Canine Family.

But I would love to see this animal close up and hope that Animal Control will catch it for further study.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would guess hyena, but the tail and hind legs seem a bit long to me. Given this is MD, I would a probably go with a coyote or fox with sarcoptic mange

Mange can really do some weird stuff to animals.

Lamont

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If this is a new breed of animal it has to be an animal with similar DNA that would allow cross breeding. I would say it is a wild dog that has been straving and cross breeded with a hyena since both are in the Canine Family.

Actually, the hyenas form their own family (hyaenidae), though they are vaguely related to dogs (canidae) they can't cross breed with them.

Lamont

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is "Big Mixx" the ChickenWolf Moose Pig of the Yakima Valley.

Am I the ony one who remembers that?

Ha.

Seriously, I'd guess a crossbred Dog/Cyote mixy thing. It sorta resembles my nephew's dog/cyote hybrid, with a longer snout.

We know one thing about it... it has bad taste, it eats cat food.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

It has been awhile since College lol. I stand corrected about Cross Breeding Dogs and Hyenas lol.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is it any coincidence that the week I travel to Baltimore strange animals start appearing?

OP
G

Gary Crawford

That's it! It's you! What or who have you been cross-breeding with?

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
does look like a wild african dog. unless its the same one they both have mites, or on major hot spot. hee hee! i find it weird how they both look identical. at first i thought it was a pig but the its body movements show otherwise. i use to have a dog/coyote hybred. it looked nothing like that. then again it depends on the dog breed.

peace

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After looking at them again, I'm still biased a bit to hyena.

(We should start a pool.) Is anyone attempting to capture this animal?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With all the Government 'testing' facilities in the region.. Methinks something went awry in their genetic experiments~! Most curious indeed..

Hyenas are closely related to cats.. Not dogs and it would be Impossible to interbreed.. Hyenas are also in their own Family. But their closest relatives are the Herpestidae -- mongooses, meerkats and such. So something is certainly discombobuled~!

In order to produce offspring, even sterile ones, the parents have to be sufficiently closely related to at least be in the same family of animals. Dogs are in one family, the Canidae. Cats are in another, the Felidae. Hyenas are in their own family order.

So either it's a mutant Dog or Pig (thinking more alines of Pig family.. Wild boar were very prevalent in the area and are being reintroduced into some regions. Looks rather akin to a young too thin female sow with mange :shrug:.

Just my ramblings ;)

~Tess