What keeps you going back to training?

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure there's been days/weeks when it seems easier to just stay home and not train. Also a time where we have been tempted to do another activity instead or felt unmotivated at some level.

For me it would be the feeling I get when an intense workout is done. Such a rush, there's nothing like it, specially on good sparring sessions. So if there's a day that I feel like skipping out, I just think on how good it's going to feel after and it gets me going. Don't get me wrong I love the feeling of being in the class itself as well.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Simply because I am not good enough yet. Not for me anyways

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Life is so hard here if I don't train I will die. At almost sixty with a six year old daughter I want to be able to do what ever the teen age kids do in 7 years and 14 years. I will never retire I will die at work.

Training is life and death for my students regardless of age if I don't train I will not be able to teach them. I added three evening training sessions fo my self before class but its not enough I am adding 5 morning sessions just for conditioning and I really feel and move better.

At this age if you lay down you don't get back up. It also a real rush to show up at national seminars and keep up with people 20 years younger or even do better than them and then look at some one 15 years older who looks and moves like they were 30.

There is always something new to learn if I don't exercise my brain it gets fat and lazy too, new forms, weopons.

My dream is to get in good enough shape to pull a Japanese traditional long bow back and kill a Grizzly Bear here I just want ten guys with really big guns standing behind me after I piss it off? I think I will start with a Musk Ox first?

It dosn't get light untill 10:30 am but pretty soon not till Noon and the sun goes down at 4PM Everyone gets a hibernate mentality and wants to sleep to much. Training also helps with depression from darkness.

Cold weather Survival: In the winter here you tend to not want to drink water and load up on fat. Training makes an apetite for water and healthier foods cobined with no caffiene of any kind and Gensing Tea I can take more clothes off at 20 below and move well. Going the other way fat sugar caffene fatigue and muscle cramps set in with in two weeks you loose 1/2 cup of water every 15 minutes at 20 below.

Training is the difference between me being able to support my family working outside as contractor or loosing my fingers and toes.

The great thing is training gives me the ability to be outside and see the most beautiful sunrises and sun sets in the world during the work day, ice fish, hunt rabits 3 foot tall, fox, wolves, wolverine snow machine, snow board. I would loose all that if I don't train or slack off for even two weeks.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because I don't want to get my *** thoroughly kicked if it ever came down to it! Not to say that I won't, but maybe not that bad! Did I mention that I just love doing it and being with my ohana. It's just became such a part of me, I feel more wierd when I dont!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's been days/weeks when it seems easier to just stay home and not train. Also a time where we have been tempted to do another activity instead or felt unmotivated at some level.

For me it would be the feeling I get when an intense workout is done. Such a rush, there's nothing like it, specially on good sparring sessions. So if there's a day that I feel like skipping out, I just think on how good it's going to feel after and it gets me going. Don't get me wrong I love the feeling of being in the class itself as well.

My love of the arts I do, the things that I learn every time I train, and the people I've had the chance to meet, along the way. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My dojomates are my family. When I step through the door of my dojo, I feel like I'm home.

Plus, I love to rack ***.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
  • Step 1 - We admitted we were powerless over martial arts - that our lives had become unmanageable
  • Step 2 - Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
  • Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Chuck Norris as we understood Chuck Norris ...

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My reasons are the same as most others who have posted so far. Love of the art, haven't learned enough, sensei and fellow students have come like family. Unless we moved away or something, I don't think I "can" quit if I wanted to. That helps me get out the door and to the dojo on the days I feel lazy or blah.

Robyn

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
justtokick u and i are on the same page i guess if you gotta ask then you wouldnt undrstand [quote from harley davidson] Go Kaj Go ohana!!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The main thing that keeps me going is that I look forward to training so when the time comes Im ready to go. Another reason is that because Im no longer in my 20's if I quit for any period of time it would just take too long to get back to where I was.

century bob

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I feel the same way as you do :) It's because of the feeling AFTER you've done it.

It is when you want to do it the least, it is the most important time you get yourself together and get it done...

Latest Discussions