What is

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the rights and wrongs of running a school?

Here are some of mine:

1. Adults need to be on time for class, showing up 15-20 minutes late all the time is not acceptible.
2. Adults should have clean uniforms on and have good hygiene.
3.Respect each other weather or not you like each other.
Wait to be dismiss before leaving the workout floor.
4. Never ever talk on there cell phone during class time.

1. Childern need to b respectful at all times
2.Must say yes sir or maam

If the rules are broken we have certain drills to be done for violayion of each infraction. Do you have conciquinces at your school or no?

Terry

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Master Terry,

In our adult class often we are 'punished' as a group. For example we have an adult college age student who is notoriously late for class. We have tried many methods to correct this but one that seems to have worked (for now) went like this: I was leading warmup for class when she showed up late. After she was allowed to enter class I stopped the warmup and had the entire class do pushups for each minute she was late. I was trying to get the message across that her being late affects not only her, but all of the other students as well. Plus not to mention the poor example for lower ranks etc, etc.

We also get pushups as a group for not answering properly, things like that.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
Master Terry,

In our adult class often we are 'punished' as a group. For example we have an adult college age student who is notoriously late for class. We have tried many methods to correct this but one that seems to have worked (for now) went like this: I was leading warmup for class when she showed up late. After she was allowed to enter class I stopped the warmup and had the entire class do pushups for each minute she was late. I was trying to get the message across that her being late affects not only her, but all of the other students as well. Plus not to mention the poor example for lower ranks etc, etc.

I would suggest if she is consistently late and this is not something that is out of her control, like work or class schedule, then just turn her away and tell her to come back next time, when she can be on time.

Personally, I might find myself resenting the teacher and the school if I was being punished for someone else's mistake.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In the Army & often with my times with old masters Like Jose Presas that would aply.Now I do this for my class just as a thoght for you to alter or change to you ways(for every time that person was late I had the do a lap around the block.All do it when they come in on time but now the class continues as a class.Then after that student returns they ask for rites or permition to join the class.This distill a posative thought & veiw to that student.To join the class & be part of.Often we greet out rage ect with punishment.Honor must be earned & it will be granted on both ends.Mabuhay Balisolomet

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Personally, I might find myself resenting the teacher and the school if I was being punished for someone else's mistake.

I agree, but with this particular student it has seemed to remedy her lateness, probably due to the fact that we all gave her a not so subtle suggestion to get there on time (she admitted not having any other circumstances-work etc, just poor time management).

We haven't had to use it since, so hopefully no one has any ill feelings towards the method. Community is something we value at our school so hopefully our "self-inflicted" punishments take care of the issues.

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
the rights and wrongs of running a school?

Here are some of mine:

1. Adults need to be on time for class, showing up 15-20 minutes late all the time is not acceptible.
2. Adults should have clean uniforms on and have good hygiene.
3.Respect each other weather or not you like each other.
Wait to be dismiss before leaving the workout floor.
4. Never ever talk on there cell phone during class time.

1. Childern need to b respectful at all times
2.Must say yes sir or maam

If the rules are broken we have certain drills to be done for violayion of each infraction. Do you have conciquinces at your school or no?

Terry

Yes, if anybody misbehaves, they have to do 20 push ups and then run around the dojo 20 times (very tiering)

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
Master Terry,

Have you asked her why she is late?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monkey said:
In the Army & often with my times with old masters Like Jose Presas that would aply.Now I do this for my class just as a thoght for you to alter or change to you ways(for every time that person was late I had the do a lap around the block.All do it when they come in on time but now the class continues as a class.Then after that student returns they ask for rites or permition to join the class.This distill a posative thought & veiw to that student.To join the class & be part of.Often we greet out rage ect with punishment.Honor must be earned & it will be granted on both ends.Mabuhay Balisolomet

Monkey,

Are you saying you trained with Jose Presas?

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
Have you asked her why she is late?

Yep, and she admits she just "loses track of time." I told her to set all her clocks 10 minutes fast :) but it didn't help. Hopefully the pushups took care of the problem as she has not been late since. Our adults are pretty easy going and I don't think anyone would resent doing the 'discipline exercises' because we were probably gonna do them anyway, our instructor just used the 'bad behavior' as an excuse for lack of a better term.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
Master Terry,

I'm going to have to completely disagree with this philosophy...

These are paying students, this is a hobby. You should not be punishing students, especially not students who did nothing wrong for something someone else did. Seems like a way to divide the class and build resentment, not teamwork.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Punishing the group for a mistake made by an idividual is something that is more or less used to forge a team together. There is no real place for that in a martial arts school unless there is some form of a competition team that has a class specifically designated for that team.

When I spent just a little time teaching a kids class I noticed one particular student was consistantly late. At first I would just make him wait by the mats until I gave him permission to join the class. One night I had the student warm up before they could join, stretches, jumping jacks ect. The student made a half hearted attempt at a warm up on his own and I refused to let him join the class, I had him sit off to the side and watch the class. This continued the rest of the week, if he did a satisfactory job warming up he could join in, if he did not, he had to watch. The first class of the following week he was on time. Turns out he didnt want to do the warm ups, once he was forced to do it no matter when he showed up he started showing up on time. Given the short attention span of children it is definately a bad idea to hold the whole group responsible for the mistakes of one (in most situations that is).

I've seen similar actions in adult classes as well. In situations like that the instructor should not hold the whole group responsible.

I do feel there are some situations when it may be approprate for the class to be 'punnished' as well. Once when teaching the adult class we were working on basics. Just combinations of footwork, blocks and strikes. After having to repeat the same set about 10 times because of one student being sloppy, one of the more advanced students moved in the line next to the one having problems and helped him out, which is what I was hoping for. It helped reinforce the fact that they were there to learn, not just from instructors but from each other too. Later that class when sparring I paired those two students together and the advanced student was caught off guard more than once. I think because of the way the studends had been working together most of the ego had been left off the mat, which is best for everyone.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I'm going to have to completely disagree with this philosophy...

These are paying students, this is a hobby. You should not be punishing students, especially not students who did nothing wrong for something someone else did. Seems like a way to divide the class and build resentment, not teamwork.

I'm with dubljay and Andrew here. Unless you are training a competitive team or trying to form an elite Ninja Unit (*grin*) then punishing the group is a recipie for disaster. If you are running a commercial school you need to balance the traditional discipline with building a supportive community. You want your students to come early, hang out and talk and chum with the other students so when they feel lazy about coming to class they miss the PEOPLE as well as the Training. Punishing the group will make them want to ostracize the offender and then that person will surely feel isolated and be demotivated and eventually won't come back.

I'm not saying that you should throw discipline away. Clearly if a student is regularly late you need to take them aside and remind them the importance of the whole class, warm-up to cool down and that they need to take responsibility for their actions. If they can't get it together you may have to ask them to find another place to train. But that should all be done in private in a polite, courteous manner.

Regards,
Rob

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Phadrus00 said:
Unless you are training a competitive team or trying to form an elite Ninja Unit (*grin*) then punishing the group is a recipie for disaster.

You mean you all aren't forming an elite ninja unit....:)

The class pushups for a consisitent lateness was an isolated example. We most often get class pushups for not answering properly (loud, quick answers) or other infractions like that, where it really probably is the majority of the class not behaving properly. That being said this is done in the advance class, we are to be setting a good example for the lower ranks.

The responses so far have been interesting to me. It never occurred to me that some may see it as possibly building resentment. We are a pretty tight group and we "police" ourselves fairly tough. Maybe it's just one of those things you have to be brought up in? To me it is no big deal to to 20 pushups if the rest of the class does something wrong, I just do it and try to be a good example so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the insight!!

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Club Rules

1. Follow the Tenets of Taekwondo both in and out of the class.
2. Show up for class on time in a clean uniform, correct belt and eager to learn.
Always ask questions.
3. DO NOT SHOW UP LATE FOR CLASS – it shows disrespect for your
peers, instructors and the art.
4. If you are late for class, stand at attention in the back of the room until the
instructor bows you in.
5. Always bow to the flags when entering or leaving any Taekwondo classroom.
6. Always bow to all Black Belts when entering and leaving the classroom.
7. When addressing Black Belts students must use the correct title (i.e. Mr.,
Mrs.,Ms., Master, Grand Master) and always answer up with a strong
“sir / ma’am”.
8. Never be disrespectful to the instructor. Students are allowed to disagree
with the instructor and discuss the matter later at an appropriate time.
9. No drinks or chewing gum is allowed in the exercise area. Bottled water is
allowed in the back of the room. Always ask permission before leaving the
exercise area.
10. No smoking is allowed in uniform or in the club area.
11. Always be loyal and never criticize the instructor, Taekwondo, peers or the
teaching methods.
12. Do not engage in horseplay while at the club. It will not be tolerated.
13. No white belts are allowed to spar at anytime. NO EXCEPTIONS!
14. Color belts may free spar only with the instructor’s supervision.

As for penalties, it matter on the situation. It can go from a stern look to pushups in no time flat.

Latest Discussions