What is the name of this form?

POC

White Belt
Reaction score
Just started taking taekwondo. Our white belt form, our teacher calls "tekki shodan" but when I look that up, it isn't anything like what we do.
I found a fellow doing the form on Youtube, I sent a question to the OP, but got no response.
Can someone watch this video and tell my what it is called? Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz1LKIKxFYQ&feature=related

Patrick

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is not Hein shodan. That looks more like Taekyoku Ni dan. It's one of the beginning Shotokan/tang Soo Do forms.

Peace,
Erik

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is not Hein shodan. That looks more like Taekyoku Ni dan. It's one of the beginning Shotokan/tang Soo Do forms.

It looks like Taekyoku, all right. We even practice it in our isshinryu dojo, although it is not isshinryu. A beginner's kata.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just started taking taekwondo. Our white belt form, our teacher calls "tekki shodan" but when I look that up, it isn't anything like what we do.
I found a fellow doing the form on Youtube, I sent a question to the OP, but got no response.
Can someone watch this video and tell my what it is called? Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz1LKIKxFYQ&feature=related

Patrick

This form is used in many Japanese and Korean styles. It's called taikyoku shodan in Shotokan, kicho il-jang in tang soo do, kibon il-jang in some tae kwon do and Korean karate schools. Variations usually include a switch to an upper block at some point, back stances, etc. I've even seen a bo form done with this h pattern.

It is NOT tekki shodan nor heian shodan, although heian shodan has many common movements.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Funny...I was taught that this was just basic form or "Kibon Poomse"
Where are you guys getting the other names from?

*Edited to add the name of the stances*

Stances
Ap Keobi Seogi - Front Stance
Arae Makki - Low Block
Moomtong Chireugi - Middle Section Punch

OP
P

POC

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies.
This has helped me find more examples on youtube, as I like to watch, and rewind and rewatch....
Our yellow belt form is very similar except the punches on the "top" and "bottom" of the "I" are replaced with kicks. Would this be just a variant of the same form, or have a different name?
Thanks again,
Patrick

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies.
This has helped me find more examples on youtube, as I like to watch, and rewind and rewatch....
Our yellow belt form is very similar except the punches on the "top" and "bottom" of the "I" are replaced with kicks. Would this be just a variant of the same form, or have a different name?
Thanks again,
Patrick

Patrick, there's really too many variations across styles for the name to matter much. I frequently use it as a rote pattern for floor practice where I just call out different combinations like down block, backfist, front kick and the students will sub out the techniques as called.

There's nothing magical about this form, although I appreciate your enthusiasm for getting it correct. It's just another way of practicing basics, no more and no less.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Funny...I was taught that this was just basic form or "Kibon Poomse"
Where are you guys getting the other names from?

If you have experience across multiple styles or compare notes with friends from other styles, you'll notice these forms are popular. To my knowledge, they originated within shotokan karate first, but since taekwondo and tang soo do owe much of their content to shotokan, that's where the Korean systems picked them up from.

OP
P

POC

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies. I understand what you are saying about things being different, changed around. I learn better when I can look at something and pick it apart, in this case, having a video to look at and rewind and look at again.
Maybe I'll video someone at class to get a pattern to watch.
Patrick

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies. I understand what you are saying about things being different, changed around. I learn better when I can look at something and pick it apart, in this case, having a video to look at and rewind and look at again.
Patrick

Don't forget though when picking it apart to look for all the Bunkai in it.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Patrick

This is one reason I like my school so much! When you are promoted to a new belt you get an instructional DVD with the form, the sparring and the self defense moves on it so you can go at your own pace! :)

epi-do

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We do that same form at my school, and it was simply called basic form 1. It is part of our yellow belt cirriculum. Our white belts do In Nae 1-8, and our orange belts do Palgue Il Jang. Beyond that, I am not sure what is taught. My school considers white-yellow-orange the beginners class, which is where I am at right now. We get a workbook that tells us what we need to know for those three belts. It also contains pages for us to write out our forms, self-defense, and terminology that we need to know for each of the three belts. Then, when we are ready to progress to the intermediate class, we get a new workbook, and the same for advance and black belt classes.

OP
P

POC

White Belt
Reaction score
This is one reason I like my school so much! When you are promoted to a new belt you get an instructional DVD with the form, the sparring and the self defense moves on it so you can go at your own pace! :)

I wish!! We are all in the same class (White-Black). Which has its good and bad points, but it is who is closeest to me, and the Master is a really great guy.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is Taikyoku Shodan for sure. I have no idea why your instructor calls it Tekki.

OP
P

POC

White Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what he is saying.

OP
P

POC

White Belt
Reaction score
Don't forget though when picking it apart to look for all the Bunkai in it.
I wasn't sure what this word meant, so I looked it up. I still don't understand exactly what you are saying in this post. Do you mean to visualize what the "other" person would be doing in this part of the kata?

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wish!! We are all in the same class (White-Black). Which has its good and bad points, but it is who is closeest to me, and the Master is a really great guy.

My classes are also white-black, I also go to family low belt classes with my 7 yr old daughter

Latest Discussions