What is the best fighting style????

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Well I was wondering, what the best type of fighting, as far as martial arts goes. I'm a begginer so can someone please tell me. Thanks all:)

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Clint Strickland said:
Hey everyone,

Well I was wondering, what the best type of fighting, as far as martial arts goes. I'm a begginer so can someone please tell me. Thanks all:)

Uh-oh. The one you can afford and enjoy. In a fight, cell-phone-911-fu-kwon-jutsu is the best MA. ;) What's available where you are?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Assuming we're talking about an established style of martial arts, whether it's old or new, there really isn't a "best" fighting style. A lot of what may be better for you depends on how you are built, what your preferences are, etc. It may help if you give us a bit of background on yourself.

For example, if you're a 7' tall lanky fellow with stiff joints, having you do Jiu-Jitsu might not be the optimal choice.

If you have horrible leg flexibility, then something like Tae Kwon Do might not be good for you at all.

When it comes down to it, you really need to take a look at what's in your area. Pay close attention to the classes, and the instructors. Are they making the learning material reasonable? Are they patient? Do they take the time to help out each person as each one needs it?

Look at the students. Are they well-disciplined? Are they of strong character in addition to being good martial artists? Or are they nothing more than undisciplined thugs?

Good martial arts taught by good instructors is always going to be good martial arts, regardless of the style, and that's what you should look for when you begin your search.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on many, many things...are we talking against weapons, with weapons, against groups, ...? What are your attributes? Beyond that, how you train makes the most difference.

T

TheBattousai

As everyone has been saying, mainly choosing one that works best for you is all you can really do. You could venture towards throwing arts, striking arts (hands and feet), joint locks, weapons, and just any combination of the two or three or whatever. I suggest finding materials on the ones that interest you (books, videos, pics, etc.) and practice them to see which you like better.

OP
Clint Strickland

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well my attributes are..... Strong legs. Strong arms. Pre- flexible. What should I study??

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
Clint Strickland said:
Hey everyone,

There is no best fighting system out there. All of them have something different to share with you and help you improve yourself as a martial artsit.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I second alot of the opinions stated here. Alot of things need to be considered.

How close is the school? willing to drive 1 hour one way for lessons 5 days a week?
How expensive is the school? Want to pay $25/month to learn boxing or would $100+/month for some excellant kung-fu be ok?
Willing to cross-train?
Looking for competition, or just knowledge?
Want to spar or just practice?
Wanting something more aggressive or more passive? external vs internal? More muscle or technique oriented?
How much time do you want to dedicate? If school teaches only 2 days a week, that ok?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Clint, if you could answer Mrhnau's questions for us we might be able to offer some suggestions. There's a lot to choose from overall but it will be limited by what's available to you.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Clint Strickland said:
Well my attributes are..... Strong legs. Strong arms. Pre- flexible. What should I study??

What's available where you are? If you want to take advantage of that strength, maybe grappling or (kick)boxing or mixed martial arts (MMA). But, what you've written rules out none of the arts, to my mind.

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It depends on many, many things...are we talking against weapons, with weapons, against groups, ...? What are your attributes? Beyond that, how you train makes the most difference.

Againt Groups?
What style/system would that be?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No style is going to be really effective in that case, but if that's the person's concern, I'd recommend Aikido over BJJ, for example.

Sayoc Kali practices fighting groups-against-groups.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If there was a single, objective "best" style, then it would be the only style and we would all be doing it and no other.

There is no best style, only the style that is best for you, or that you like the best, or works the best for you, or even may not be the best for you but is the best one available in your area and you are able to get it to work well enough.

You could get as many different answers as there are people on the forum. Check out what is available near you, try some classes, and go with what you like the most.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For a beginner you will find "JUDO" is a good place to start learning the martial arts. One needs to know how to fall first.

Not sport judo, but actully judo classes. You will find this art saying it is defense......buy it is actully very offense and anyone can learn the throws. My son is taking sport judo for high school and it does go with the Kempo training he is also doing now for 8 years. (the throws can be done hard or soft or mean)

Read the book "Verbal Judo". Many people die every year because of their EGO"S and Pride. Best to always avoid. Awareness is one of the most important things to learn in life. Than one learns it is not neccessary to use any fighting arts.

The martial arts builds confidence in one self ,if one needs to protect himself or others.

Check out any JUDO schools and you may find it worth trying.......just my thoughts on this...........................Aloha

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Clint Strickland said:
Hey everyone,

i think my style is the best
a lot would agree with me

thank you very much

note: jk

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I would first ask yourself why you want to study the martial arts? Is it for competition, for health and fitness, or self defense, or a mix of all of the above? You will find that many schools will have a particular focus on one of the areas listed above and you should choose a school that will most closely match your own goals.

Pax
Cujo

OP
Clint Strickland

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Let me restate my question. What is youre favorite type of fighting style, so I can look into it and see if I'm interested in it. Well the nearest class is about 14 min away, but its round 250 dollars a month. I'm not going to go there for the simple fact that it cost way to much. I'm looking for something to push me to the upmost limit, and to tech me both at the same time. If I was to find a class pretty close to me and the lessons were only 2 a week, I would still love to join, knoweledge has no sceduale. Well if anyone has any suggestion to what style I should do please inform me, you will be much appreciated by me. Thanks all.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Clint Strickland said:
Let me restate my question. What is youre favorite type of fighting style, so I can look into it and see if I'm interested in it. Well the nearest class is about 14 min away, but its round 250 dollars a month. I'm not going to go there for the simple fact that it cost way to much. I'm looking for something to push me to the upmost limit, and to tech me both at the same time. If I was to find a class pretty close to me and the lessons were only 2 a week, I would still love to join, knoweledge has no sceduale. Well if anyone has any suggestion to what style I should do please inform me, you will be much appreciated by me. Thanks all.

You are asking a very tough question. I would suggest that you go into different schools and try out a class or two. Most will allow you to try, either for free or at a minimal cost. Some will allow you to sit in to watch. That would be the only way you can check out to see what catches your interest. Pay attention to how instructors teach. It might be a marvelous style, but the quality of the instructor(s) will make/break the experience for you.

What sort of martial arts schools are available near you? If you could let us know what is there in your area, then we could give you some of our own reasons/opinions why we like these styles. Be aware, however, that our reasons may differ from yours as each of us are on our own journey.

- Ceicei