What is Street Boxing?

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My Pastor mentioned in his sermon today that his dad used to street box, and even though when he was younger the Pastor used to get into a lot of fights and was bigger than his dad, he never challenged him because he was impressed with his dad's street boxing. What is street boxing? Is it merely boxing on the street with no rules, or is there a more definitive definition of what street boxing is? It sounds interesting.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have never heard of anything known officially has "street boxing" i would assume it's just unsanctioned urban boxing.

jf

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Street boxing is boxing in the street.

In some cases it follows both using gloves on both hands or each person taking one glove and using only the glove hand.

It also is where you see unorthodox use of stances,hand position and strikes. Manly because the people do not know how to fight and tailor what little they learned from somewhere else to their style.

I think it differs from street fighting because Street boxing can be done in a friendly setting and usually there is no kicks,throws or ground work just boxing.

You ca search Youtube for clips on Street boxing.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Street Boxing, Backyard Boxing, it's all the same deal, like a friendly soccer match. the main difference I've seen is that the hands are usually a bit closer on the glove-less matches.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Street boxing is boxing in the street.

In some cases it follows both using gloves on both hands or each person taking one glove and using only the glove hand.

It also is where you see unorthodox use of stances,hand position and strikes. Manly because the people do not know how to fight and tailor what little they learned from somewhere else to their style.

I think it differs from street fighting because Street boxing can be done in a friendly setting and usually there is no kicks,throws or ground work just boxing.

You ca search Youtube for clips on Street boxing.
The Pastor mentioned his dad put on boxing gloves as well as the guys he sparred with.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was in a hurry, my wife had to catch a flight to Denver.

Latest Discussions