What is real training?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's worth it?

Does your school train for real defense? if not, why not? Does your club compete? If not, why train?

Is it really worth it to enter into martial arts training for "self-betterment" or "fitness" or "art-specific study"? I mean, if you're not competing or using your knowledge on the street, why study?

Playing devil's advocate here, folks. I know my opinions, but I'd like to hear yours.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Is it really worth it to enter into martial arts training for "self-betterment" or "fitness" or "art-specific study"? I mean, if you're not competing or using your knowledge on the street, why study?

Playing devil's advocate here, folks. I know my opinions, but I'd like to hear yours.

It's a valid question that I wish many prospective students would ask themselves BEFOR joining a Dojo, Dojang or Kwoon. For myself, I started for self-defense, true, but I stayed because, unlike much other fitness activity, you progress with time. If you discontinue an aerobics class for two years, you are back to square one when you return. However, if you leave martial arts for a number of years, while you will need to reaquire the physical conditioning you once had, your skills, albeit rusty, are still there.

I guess for me, aside from self-defence, it is about maintaining physical fitnes AND seeing my progress in skill aquisition over time.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
What's worth it?

Does your school train for real defense? if not, why not?

Yes, we're always keeping our training alive. IMHO, if one is training to be able to defend themselves in an attack, keeping the training up to date, adding in some resistance, drills, etc. is the best way to go.

Does your club compete? If not, why train?

My current Kenpo school? No. Schools that I used to attend? Yes, both inner school, and open tournaments were encouraged. Some of the people from the BJJ school enter in grappling events.

Everyone will have his/her own goals in mind. My goals are for SD. IMO, I don't feel that competing will prepare you 100% for real life. You're going to fight like you train, so that being said, if I'm always pulling strikes, stopping after a hit is delivered, etc. could result in that happening when I need that strike to really matter.

Some people will train because its part of a culture. Use the Gracies for example. They all train.

Mike

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
What's worth it?

Does your school train for real defense? if not, why not? Does your club compete? If not, why train?

insurance.
i dont plan on getting into an accident everytime i get into my car.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
What's worth it?

I think that's a personal question, requiring a personal answer. There is no right or wrong answer at face value, but that's not to say people can be disillusioned and join for the wrong reasons.

I didn't know squat about competitions when I joined, but now, speaking for myself, it makes no sense to do otherwise. Many do not feel that way and that's fine for them. I enjoy the SD aspect, but I was quite capable of defending myself before joining, so that was and is far from my main priority.

To JR's point, I think people do ask themselves the question before they start. At least to the degree they know to ask the question. Because they're new, the decision is based on incomplete information. My personal reasons, as many, changed over time because my knowledge based changed. As in your own case, you joined for one reason, but stayed for a different one.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
What's worth it?

Does your school train for real defense? if not, why not?
Yes; but, only a small amount each class and mostly geared toward child safety.

shesulsa said:
Yes, both inter and intra-school competitions.

shesulsa said:
Absolutely. Although, I feel that competition should be the outcome of martial art training, I also practice and play my trombone though I know I'll never compete for first chair at the symphony. I do some things just for personal joy; I can easily see others doing MA for the same benefit.

shesulsa said:

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny, I had this conversation with a fellow black belt over the weekend. When I first started training it was for the competition end of things. I was in my mid-teens and I thought that was what karate was for. Then in my 20's my focus started to shift to the application end of the art and searching for more out of my training (hunting for trophies was getting old). Now in my 30's I realize that my taining now is multi-dimensional. I train for the self-defense, I train for the bettering of my self inside and out, but I also train to preserve the art that my Sensei has shown me as he has done for his Sensei.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
What's worth it?

Both of my clubs have components of self-defense in them but it isn't our primary focus. Realistically, in the city we live in the threat isn't really high to our personal safety but some of us have higher risk jobs and they train that aspect more diligently than others.

Yes, we compete but only probably about 30% of the students. It isn't required and if it isn't your 'thing' there is no grief about not training. Many of the guys are just there for fitness and fun.

This is a tougher question. Personally the only reason I originally got into MA was because it looked fun and I was fat. I could never stick with any other exercise program so for me it was "worth it" to join for fitness only reasons. I did wind up enjoying it on more levels than that but it was definitely worth it for that alone.

As far as not competing or using on the street and whether it is wasted knowledge if you don't, no it isn't wasted. Anything that makes you fitter or that you perceive as enhancing your life for your own reasons is probably worthwhile. I know some people do it just for fun and really don't even care about the calibre of training they are receiving. Good for them. They don't need anyone else's yardstick to measure fun by...who is to tell them what is fun for them is anyway? Of course if you were doing it for competition or real life it would be very different, you would have to measure up to the standard of training generally available. I suppose that is why some people avoid competition (not all, some people just don't like competing).

It is always a good thing to get people thinking about why they are training.

CMS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train because I enjoy it. Exercise, self-defense, perservation of tradition and all that are merely side benefits.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do it because:
1. I'm a massikist (who can't spell)
2. It keeps me from biting my nails.
3. The patches are awesome!!!
4. Getting worn out while still in my jammies is Great!!!

Your Brother (being obnoxious)
John

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is real training, what a vital question maybe real training is just someone going to the Dojang and getting there butts kick day in and day out for 40 years. Or maybe it is the person who train 1 hour a week for the rest of ther life training is what the individual wants it to be. My opion only.
Terry

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Compete? It's not required, but people in the WMAA compete and lots of people where I study BJJ compete in that, and a few in MMA.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I train because I enjoy the training. Self defense skills and fitness are side benefits, in my opinion. they are there, but they are not my primary focus. I enjoy the process and the movement.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, we don't compete. We don't consider our art a "sport."

Yes, we do train for self defense.

But some are in it for fitness, for the spiritual benefit, or just because we love it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I question what you mean by real training. When you answere that I may be able to give you an answere.
Compition has been a part of 90% of the places I have trained bit I didn't get into the arts to compete, I joined to learn how to better defend myslef and to see if there was more to the martial arts than meets the eye.
I have my answere but it might not be the same as yours.
I have tried to walk away from studying a few times and must admit that I don't like who I am when the martial arts is not part of my life. Coud I substitute some other activeity to keep myslef on a level ground (mentaly and physicaly) I haven't found one yet

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

On the fitness level, it did help me a lot. Structure, goals and new things to keep me moving have kept me active way longer than any of my previous attempts at working up some kind of fitness routine.

Everything else is gravy for me.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
What's worth it?

Does your school train for real defense?
Always! Ou training is very combat oriented and very effective when done properly. So having a good instructor is definitely important.

shesulsa said:
if not, why not? Does your club compete? If not, why train?

I think competition and survival are two totally different things. The rules are different, the gravity of the situations are completely different. Yes, there are a few similarities, but not many. In all seriousness competitions have rules, time limits, and some very specific goals for points. Survival has only one goal... Survive at all costs!

With that said, we train real, just do it safely so that everybody can come back to the next class and train. All of our training is with a partner, no shadow boxing, and no stop short of contact. If you don't move, you get hit (of course even if you move, you may get hit, depending on your timing).

Just my opinions...

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

My current school trains only for self-defense. There is no competition nor, for that matter, any spiritual aspect to the training. Consequently, I have trouble even considering it a "martial art" in the respect of a complete system of living..but we sure do know how to hurt people!

shesulsa said:

There are many ways one can learn to defend oneself. Iron pipes and Uzis are more effective than backfists and ridgehands. But only a true martial art redefines a person by cultivating the spirit and potential within. Physical capability is simply a part of the training and a great benefit.

shesulsa said:

I know. I'm glad to give my opinion.

Most importantly, it gives me a chance to kiss up to you, Shesulsa. Have I told you today how great you are? :inlove:

... Y'see, I really only started martial arts because I thought women would think I'm cool. ... Hasn't worked out so far, so I'm still training until I get it right.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
What's worth it?

Does your school train for real defense?

yes

shesulsa said:

no, should you only train to compete? Whilst i train skills that can be used in a number of eventualitys of street defense i will hopefully never have to use them. I train because i love training, i know others use it as part of there chosen career path. We have a few marines and police officers who train in our school.

shesulsa said:

I see nothing wrong with using martial arts to better yourself, fitness is a strange one for me as whilst i try to keep fit the art i train doesn't really concentrate on getting you fit. I would say that there is an element of health from my training though and that is always good, in particular its a great stress buster. I really got my head into the concepts behind my training and the interest in the art and other arts grew, maybe thats a part of the reason i still study.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I question what you mean by real training. When you answere that I may be able to give you an answere.
Compition has been a part of 90% of the places I have trained bit I didn't get into the arts to compete, I joined to learn how to better defend myslef and to see if there was more to the martial arts than meets the eye.
I have my answere but it might not be the same as yours.
I have tried to walk away from studying a few times and must admit that I don't like who I am when the martial arts is not part of my life. Coud I substitute some other activeity to keep myslef on a level ground (mentaly and physicaly) I haven't found one yet

What I mean is 'what is your definition of real training?'

I have been in hearing range when other people have said things such as 'if you're not training to compete, then you're not training' and 'self-betterment my *** - that's just an excuse for laziness and it's not real training' and I wanted to know how other people feel.

I know I am a better person because of martial arts, I feel smarter on the street and I never got into it to compete - my training was about me.

So it's disturbing to me to hear people trash other people for their perception as a lack of training because their goals are different.

Does that make sense?

Latest Discussions