What is real TKD

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was ask today if I did real TKD, when I said what do you mean and he said the one that was around before the 19th century. My response was there was no TKD before the kwans came together in the 1950's, he laughed and said I was a fake. Oh well I guess we cannot please everyone.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was ask today if I did real TKD, when I said what do you mean and he said the one that was around before the 19th century. My response was there was no TKD before the kwans came together in the 1950's, he laughed and said I was a fake. Oh well I guess we cannot please everyone.

Terry

I think he was talking the real TKD that was passed down the ages from times immortal that influenced every martial art that has been known to man.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
he might have fallen through the well at the shrine.... (nvm...)

Or he rode the mystical dragon? (or just smoked some funny weed...)

I mean, what are you supposed to tell him? "yes I practice the secret art of the whatchamacallits, who lived in the lands before our time...."

Seems to me he was looking for some snake oil salesman.....

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems to me he was looking for some snake oil salesman.....

Actually I think he was just a misinformed consumer who spends his time reading TKD schools home pages on the internet. He stumbled upon the so called truth and is in search of a master.

I remember a movie once where the student needed to find the master to find "The Glow" or the ultimate truth. He found it after searching for it at the fortune cookie company "SUM DUM GUY".

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rofl, awesome Terry! I'd have giggled a bit back and just nodded.
I think the real history of TKD is a little less mystic that some might want it, but I'm fine with being what I am. Boar man, that was 'The Last Dragon' heh, awesome show (aahhhh Vanity....). But yeah, exactly the point :D

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

The best way to handle this is ask to be enlightened. Perhaps he could educate you by providing any source that used the name TKD before 1954-1955?

Only thru his own discovery or failure will he believe the truth.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best way to handle this is ask to be enlightened. Perhaps he could educate you by providing any source that used the name TKD before 1954-1955?

Only thru his own discovery or failure will he believe the truth.

In the meantime he is ripe for the picking for the 'right' guy with the right story. PT Barnum loved his kind.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like languages, martial arts are living, evolving entities. Anyone who claims otherwise - that only the "traditional, unchanging" art of the past can be "real" is only demonstrating a lack of understanding of what martial arts truly are.

But it's a great story!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
But.. but.. what about all the cave wall paintings clearly showing ancient noble tkdists practicing their art???

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember a movie once where the student needed to find the master to find "The Glow" or the ultimate truth. He found it after searching for it at the fortune cookie company "SUM DUM GUY".

the movie you speak of sir is "the last dragon", which was clearly the finest blaxploitation kung fu film of 1987. unarguably.

jf

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah...just playing. I do believe in the Martial art over sport though. To me, and thats worth about nothing, the art is a fighting style and is about hard training and conditioning.

The older footage seems to paint that picture better than 3 minutes of bouncing with hands down.

When I started in this art a Black Belt was something. Never mind all these umpteenth degrees. A person who earned a Black Belt was something to be cautious about. Today a Black Belt can leave a school and get beat up.

Part is the world...its changed. Part of growing up for me was learning how to scrap and come out on top. In todays world lawyers appear in 3rd grade. So it tough to want tough in baby soft world.

Dave O (lost in the past)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

That's awesome :) I wish I could have been there to hear it!

I mean sure, we should do our best to calmly stamp out ignorance where we can, but there are occasions on which it is undeniably a thing to behold :lol:

Latest Discussions